Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is my 4 fill-ups according to fuelly.com. The first being a partial.
And as you can see, my lifetime avg. is only 26.9.

I work for the Honda dealership that I bought my CR-Z cvt from. Today
I went to pickup a PWP 6MT from New Jersey for a customer. It was exactly 100 miles.
I figured I would do a test. I reset one of the trip meters to 0.0 and set off.
My trip of 100 miles was mostly highway cruise control at 65-70 mph in 6th.
2 stops for toll booths and about 30 minutes of 10-20 mph traffic.
My 100 mile avg. was just over 40 mpg in that 6MT.
And thats day 1 right off the lot.....:angry:

I cant hit 35mpg on a good day. I'm granny driving my car and so far my current
tank has me a 33mpg avg. with 1/2 tank left. Below you'll see my best so far
was only 31.3 mpg. And now I'm REALLY babying the throttle and brakes!!!
I mean I'm accelerating slower than a golf cart and braking so far in advance
that I piss people off. I NEVER leave ECO MODE!!!! I'm trying to squeeze every cent out
of this tank.

And all the while, everyone else is reporting high 30's and low 40's.
What am I doing wrong? I thought having a CVT would help my mpg.
I guess not!!! It's getting to the point of frustration and I cant even
enjoy my new car. My 2007 1.8 civic with Full intake and exhaust had better mpg's
and I was redlining that car everywhere.

Anyone got any suggestions??
I hope I didnt get a car thats defective somehow?:bored:

March 3 Odometer 1021.0 Gallons 9.5 Price/Gallon $3.699 Total $35.00 MPG 30.7
added by sgtmorph on March 3 at 6:06 pm [edit]

February 23 Odometer 731.0 Gallons 9.6 Price/Gallon $3.459 Total $33.04 MPG 31.3
added by sgtmorph on February 23 at 10:06 am [edit]

February 14 Odometer 432.0 Gallons 9.3 Price/Gallon $3.439 Total $32.00 MPG 0.0
added by sgtmorph on February 14 at 8:43 pm [edit]

February 10 Odometer 260.0 Gallons 6.0 Price/Gallon $3.350 Total $20.10 MPG 0.0
added by sgtmorph on February 12 at 11:47 pm [edit] · partial

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
^ Something is definitely not right. Would think as a dealership employee, the service department would take an extra close look? I do about 34mpg mostly in Sport and only a 7 mile commute back and forth to work, hilly and cold.

Can easily get 40+ on longer trips in Econ.

Would put a calc to it meself on the next fillup.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Going over 65 mph on a freeway will only get you about 32 mpg.

Next time you're driving on a flat freeway, look at the mpg bar, that is telling you what you are getting that moment. The faster you go, the lower mpg it'll be.

I found ECO doesn't do anything for the way I drive and where I drive, so I leave it in normal.

My average MPG is 41.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Drive the car like you used to drive your Civic and see what the results are.... I've found in my 6MT that the difference between "driving like a granny" in ECON mode and driving like a normal person in Normal mode is only a few MPGs... also as my car broke 1000miles it gained another 1.4MPG approx.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How long are your trips? If the engine doesn't have a chance to get warm for the majority of your trips, I can see it producing your 26.9 MPG. To get into the 30's, especially the high 30's, the engine has to be warm most of the time you are driving.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is it possible that your driving is such that the engine is having to regen the batteries? I've read that you need to drive them somewhat diffrently and if you don't replenish the batteries via braking and decelleraton, the engine will be tasked with doing it- of course impacting your mileage.

Note I don't have a CRZ (yet) so I'm sort of speaking from my a$$ here :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is it possible that your driving is such that the engine is having to regen the batteries? I've read that you need to drive them somewhat diffrently and if you don't replenish the batteries via braking and decelleraton, the engine will be tasked with doing it- of course impacting your mileage.

Note I don't have a CRZ (yet) so I'm sort of speaking from my a$$ here :)
It could be that the IMA charge is full, but IMA battery is too cold (or too hot) to be used by the car as intended.

If the IMA battery is too hot or too cold, the IMA system limits the IMA battery’s output power to protect the battery. This disables the IMA assist and Auto Idle Stop, even though the Battery Level Gauge may show that the battery is well-charged.

Without IMA assist, MPG won't be as good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The only thing I could add is that as you break the car in, the mileage does increase. I am near 9000 miles, and my commute consist of 70% hwy 30% city, 82 miles round trip. I get any where between 42-51mpg's depending only on construction traffic. My last tank was 47.8 mpg's. I drive the posted speed limit with cruise on. 55-65mph. If you don't see improvement as you put more miles on, as one poster has posted already, the shop where you work should help you out above and beyond.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I drive mostly in sport mode and get 30-32 without a problem. The wife uses normal and get around 33-35 average and has hit 40 + every once and a while. At 80 mph in normal mode in Florida on I-10 for 3 hrs I averaged 32.

The car really likes being below 65 mph.

I think something is wrong with yours. Even if you get on this car the IMA kicks in to save fuel and give you the power you need.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It does not sound like there is a problem with your car. I have driven in all the modes, and I can tell you sport mode seems to be the most confusing MPG. Some days I drive fast (30 min drive) to work, shut off the car an see 4-5 blooms, then other days I drive like granny, in normal mode, and see 2-3 blooms. I usually never use econ mode, and my mpg average sits around 36.5 - 38.0. I see other owners post 40+ mpg and wonder how they do it. I have noticed mpg drop when I leave the car warming up for a while, but other than that, I think you should just try normal driving, and then see what happens.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
382 Posts
Going over 65 mph on a freeway will only get you about 32 mpg.
Correct. I average 31-32mpg. When I took my long trip I drove around 60MPH for about 15 miles, that's all I could take, and I was getting 41mpg.

But the rest of the trip I drove 72-78mph and I got 31mpg.

So with my driving style, city or highway, I expect to get 31-32mpg and every tank I have had I get 31-32mpg calculated. I now have 6000 miles on the car.

BUT going from a 10mpg truck to 32mpg car. Im ok with 32mpg.

J

·
Registered
314 Posts
The best test would be to try that exact same 100 mile trip with your car.

As for mpg at higher speeds, my last trip, after refueling, the final 160 miles was at 72mph and I hit 42mpg. A week earlier, going the opposite direction into a 20mph headwind got me 34mpg for the same stretch at 72.

·
Registered
208 Posts
temperatures are important, and run times. If you can, drive for 15-20 minutes, stop the car, and start up again. Drive at 30mph and see what you get. The dash gauge is plenty accurate enough for this sort of check. You ought to be able to get over 50mpg on the level at constant speed, at least without loosing much speed.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Let me know what you figure out! I also sort of feel my car is sub-par. There is no way for me to maintain speed and get more than about 30mpg. EVER. I do get a little better overall MPG as I regain some on coasting.. But if my foot is even just barely touching the accelerator a hair, my instant MPG meter drops to 30 or lower. And Im talking just pressing the accelerator in enough to stop it from charging.. Even maintaining 60mph on a perfectly flat highway I don't get better than about 30 on my instant read.
SO, if you discover a potential issue, PLEASE let us know

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im running a test in normal mode only....

somebody mentioned something that gave me an idea....

standby for results later...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.