Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
HID (high intensity discharge) is like Xeon lights or like the bright head lights you are now seeing on new or high- end production cars that are super bright to look at. Where LED (light emitting diode) are like what is on the back of the car used for tail and brake. They are two different sources and types of lights. What they mean by "LED not available" means the front driving lights. The U.S. version uses the standard head light for day time running lights at a lower brightness where the Euro version uses a strip of LED's like the Audi.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Is there a downside to not having LED lights? Personally, I like the look of the HID's.
No, not really. It is mostly just a "coolness" factor for driving lamps. The advantage of full on LED headlights is (which very few have them. I think there is only two types of vehicles in the U.S., one is the Cadillac Escalade and I'm not sure what the other is) a lot of light with little power consumption, much smaller "bulb" (not really a bulb but a diode), lasts a long time and very little heat. In fact they produce such little heat that in icy area's they don't get hot enough to melt off the snow and ice! The problem with using them for headlights is the converter does get very hot, durability and the problem of blinding oncoming motorist and right now are costly to make.

HID's are very bright but also require an auto leveling feature and use a "shutter" to form whats called a "cut off". Both those features are used so not to blind on coming traffic. On start up when warming up they use more power than Halogens but once off and running consume less power not to mention are more cost effective than LED's.

Rest assured though, LED head lamps are the way of the future and are coming. Once LED technology is perfected for Auto's, car companies will be able to get more stream lined shapes and with the advent of pure electric cars, consume less battery power when driving at night.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
THATS IT! It was the Lexus! No they are not bixenon...:cry:
What's the point of those though, theya re super expensive to replace as well. You can just put a xenon kit in the high beams. I allready bought a xenon kit for the fogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.