Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the call today. After waiting just over a week, the dealer finally got the car i wanted: a PWP 6MT EX. I was excited beyond belief - couldnt wait to get the keys. I should've known it wouldnt be that easy...

3 things went wrong...

1 - I had a cosigner on my TSX (parent - I had a young credit history at the time). The dealer didn't realize in time. I cant take the car off the lot until I get a notarized signature from my mom on the lease documents. No biggie - nothing that cant be fixed by overnight mail.

2 - The lease showed MSRP as the price of the car. I negotiated them down to 300 over invoice but somehow the finance department didnt get that message. When i brought it up to the finance manager a salesman came in and was almost trying to convince me that the price of a leased vehicle can't be negotiated lower than MSRP. Eventually he left to talk to his manager and i got them to bring the price back down because my lease application with American Honda had the lower price on it already. This change alone lowered my monthly payment almost 30 dollars.

3 - They appraised my old car and gave me a quote for the trade in. I was about to sign the last form detailing the terms of the trade when i noticed that the trade value was 1k lower than what was agreed upon before. When i asked, the second salesman asked me why i thought my car was worth 1k more than they were giving me. I remembered that the original salesman wrote all the trade information on the back of one of his sales sheets. I asked them to look for it and sure enough, the value listed there was 1k higher. After seeing this, the finance manager told me that he doesn't think he can give me the extra 1k on my trade. If they cant match my original appraised value I may not be leasing their car. Ill see what they say when they call me tomorrow. This leads me to a question.. I had to put down a 500 deposit to have this dealer trade for the car i wanted. If this deal falls through should i have much trouble getting that money back?

Now for some pictures...

BEFORE: Satin Silver Acura TSX

Comptech Intake
Hytech Header
Hytech Cat
Hytech Exhaust
Tein CST w/ EDFC
OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
a few other smaller mods

FUTURE (if they can sort out the deal) - PWP 6MT EX - 115 miles on the ODO from the dealer trade

I hope to be official soon!

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
wow, you had some really nice parts on that TSX...

as for the CR-Z... i think if you have something on paper then you should be able to get your deposit back... normally they would give you a hard time since they had to get it to their lot, but they messed up on their end iwth the paperwork resulting in you changing your mind...

in either case good luck... can't wait til those pics you're taking are of YOUR CR-Z ;)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope they sort it out. They told me they would call today and as of now, no call. i want them to just call and tell me they will give me the correct amount for my trade so i can pick the car up already... :( its even harder to wait now that i went last night and saw it...

That car in the pictures is the one they ordered for me, only i couldnt take it yesterday. I hope that if this deal falls through another dealer is willing to agree to the terms i negotiated.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
you should just swing by the dealership and sort it out in person... shows initiative ;)
I agree with Bizzy.. go by, ask for the sales manager.... be nice, let him know you WANT the car.. but don't over do it... Who knows, maybe they have had a slow day, and need to make some moola! Good luck!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Bizzy.. go by, ask for the sales manager.... be nice, let him know you WANT the car.. but don't over do it... Who knows, maybe they have had a slow day, and need to make some moola! Good luck!!:thumbsup:
oh and i almost forgot it's end of the month... dealerships work out more deals around this time to help with their numbers...
They just called: the salesman told me that he isnt worried about them being able to make up the difference on the trade. He did also say that he hasnt been able to contact the person who did the original appraisal though.

·
Registered
693 Posts
This dealer is definitely playing the typical games with you to see what they can get out of you. Many people don't understand financing and fewer yet understand what is behind leasing rates and that is where they often play games that end up costing the buyer lots of money. It sounds like you are right on top of things and are keeping them honest.

It is not a surprise that they would agree to one thing while you negotiate and then... oops, a simple mistake (of course in the dealer's favor) shows up on the final paperwork you are expected to sign. Read the paperwork and fully understand what you are signing. Good job on your part!

Your deposit will be refunded if your cannot come to terms. If they were to keep it, they would really be stepping over the line.

As to the value of your trade, keep in mind that all the mods you made might make the car more desirable to you, but for the dealer it makes the car far less desirable and they would be less interested in having it on their lot, than they would a totally stock unmodified car. That having been said, if you can find a private buyer who values some of the mods that you have made as highly as you do, you stand to get significantly more for your car in such a sale as you will by trading it in.

One more thing, that anxiety that you feel about wanting the new car NOW, try to suppress that. the dealer is counting on that desire driving you to accept giving them more money for your new car.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This dealer is definitely playing the typical games with you to see what they can get out of you. Many people don't understand financing and fewer yet understand what is behind leasing rates and that is where they often play games that end up costing the buyer lots of money. It sounds like you are right on top of things and are keeping them honest.

It is not a surprise that they would agree to one thing while you negotiate and then... oops, a simple mistake (of course in the dealer's favor) shows up on the final paperwork you are expected to sign. Read the paperwork and fully understand what you are signing. Good job on your part!

Your deposit will be refunded if your cannot come to terms. If they were to keep it, they would really be stepping over the line.

As to the value of your trade, keep in mind that all the mods you made might make the car more desirable to you, but for the dealer it makes the car far less desirable and they would be less interested in having it on their lot, than they would a totally stock unmodified car. That having been said, if you can find a private buyer who values some of the mods that you have made as highly as you do, you stand to get significantly more for your car in such a sale as you will by trading it in.

One more thing, that anxiety that you feel about wanting the new car NOW, try to suppress that. the dealer is counting on that desire driving you to accept giving them more money for your new car
I was worried about the deposit at first but now im confident that I'll get it back.

The car is back to stock. I always keep all parts i took off and have them reinstalled. I parted the car out and sold everything aftermarket already.

Thanks for the advice on anxiety. I am excited to get the car but not so excited I didnt read the contract. I think they were counting on me being too excited to notice being thrown under the bus. I'll walk away if i need to.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There are more CRZ's out in the world. If they don't play fair, don't play with them.

You can get the same deal or better elsewhere.

They are hoping that you will be so wound up that you will just eat up what they want.

Frankly, you don't care what they can and can not make up. This is a business deal not friendship. Do they really care when they send people off the lot with cars 2 or 5k over MSRP and payments they can't afford? No, they should have done their homework and not been idiots.

I hate that crap. I'd have gone somewhere else the moment they started smearing BS on the deal.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I was worried about the deposit at first but now im confident that I'll get it back.

The car is back to stock. I always keep all parts i took off and have them reinstalled. I parted the car out and sold everything aftermarket already.

Thanks for the advice on anxiety. I am excited to get the car but not so excited I didnt read the contract. I think they were counting on me being too excited to notice being thrown under the bus. I'll walk away if i need to.
Well Done!

You are well on top of things and are in the best position to help make this deal go your way. Always be courteous, always work towards making the deal work, but be ready to walk away if it is not right.

You will be fine!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Good Luck northridge. You are doing the right thing by not being overly excited. It's there messed up and they have to fixed it or else you walked with your initial deposit. There are many dealers out there will honor up to their commitment since it was their mistake. If this dealer starts playing game then it's their lost. And this is the end of the month as bizzybear points out....most dealers will work with you. Keep to your original numbers if you are satisfied with that and you should have your new CRZ by month's end.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I Agree with TCroly the dealer is playing games, and you should be able to get your down payment. when i did my deal l made sure l wrote them a check and dated a few days later just in case the deal fell thru, they want me to use a credit card and l didn't budge.
good luck

·
Registered
314 Posts
Reading your dealer nightmare story and those of others, I'm all the more thrilled by how smoothly my experience went. I was in a fortunate position, however, as we used the same dealership to buy my wife's Civic coupe last year, and that's when we went through a little bit of annoying stuff with another dealer. Just be prepared to walk away, particularly if there are other nearby dealers and you haven't yet checked with them. Numerous "mistakes" like those they've made with you probably means they're inept, dishonest, or both! There are other dealerships out there that are the opposite.

Best wishes, hope it all works out well and you come out of it smiling! :grin:

·
Registered
176 Posts
SUGGESTION - do no budge on ANYTHING. They might have made an honest mistake OR they might just be trying to see how much (if any) extra pennies they can squeeze out of you at this last minute. They are the ones who sell cars for a living so all of these financial and administrative details are things they work with all the time. And to blame this on "that other salesman" (who always disappears when YOU need him) easily could be part of their plan.

Many dealers and salesman are finally coming around to the idea that you can make money with honesty and integrity but there are still a few out there who think cheating you (us) is OK as long as they can get away with it.

If anything you should expect them to compromise on any last minute details since you are accomodating them by buying the car from them IN THE FIRST PLACE. It sounds like they think you have a bad case of "new car fever" and will settle for anything just to get the car ASAP. It's hard to do but you have to fight the "ah the hell with it, where do I sign" urge. Call a competing dealership across town and get the name of their new car manager and at least one salesman. Usually the switchboard will disclose this if you handle it correctly. Then, when talking to your original dealer, drop those names into the conversation as specific people who are ready to make you a competing deal. All of these salesman and managers know each other, by name if not by being former employees, etc. If they realize you have already taken some steps to spend your money elsewhere then they might realize it is to their advantage that THEY are the ones who need to do "whatever it takes to get you in the car."

Good luck. And don't budge on the money issues. If there is a problem - odds are they are the ones that made the mistake. Not you.

And make sure you get a full tank of gas on delivery!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
this is the game they play. they did the same to me. check out my intro thread. also, if i were you, i'd do my best to revert to stock next time around. that's eating your trade-in value. also, you can make some extra loot on those parts.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SUGGESTION - do no budge on ANYTHING. They might have made an honest mistake OR they might just be trying to see how much (if any) extra pennies they can squeeze out of you at this last minute. They are the ones who sell cars for a living so all of these financial and administrative details are things they work with all the time. And to blame this on "that other salesman" (who always disappears when YOU need him) easily could be part of their plan.

Many dealers and salesman are finally coming around to the idea that you can make money with honesty and integrity but there are still a few out there who think cheating you (us) is OK as long as they can get away with it.

If anything you should expect them to compromise on any last minute details since you are accomodating them by buying the car from them IN THE FIRST PLACE. It sounds like they think you have a bad case of "new car fever" and will settle for anything just to get the car ASAP. It's hard to do but you have to fight the "ah the hell with it, where do I sign" urge. Call a competing dealership across town and get the name of their new car manager and at least one salesman. Usually the switchboard will disclose this if you handle it correctly. Then, when talking to your original dealer, drop those names into the conversation as specific people who are ready to make you a competing deal. All of these salesman and managers know each other, by name if not by being former employees, etc. If they realize you have already taken some steps to spend your money elsewhere then they might realize it is to their advantage that THEY are the ones who need to do "whatever it takes to get you in the car."

Good luck. And don't budge on the money issues. If there is a problem - odds are they are the ones that made the mistake. Not you.

And make sure you get a full tank of gas on delivery!
i told them i dont intend to budge. theyre working out the details and they will call when everything is all set.

this is the game they play. they did the same to me. check out my intro thread. also, if i were you, i'd do my best to revert to stock next time around. that's eating your trade-in value. also, you can make some extra loot on those parts.
My old car is already back to stock. thanks though. Sorry you went through an ordeal also. These things take away from the excitement of car shopping...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.