Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Probably not many left with the new mandate for emissions testing down there. CA is now taking a checksum of the PCM files and comparing it to known factory configurations. If you have a tune installed the checksum won't match and you don't pass inspection.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
CA has gotten alot more strict on emissions regulations in the past few years. . Your definitely gonna find it more difficult to sneak by a smog test with an aftermarket tune.

·
Super Moderator
1,333 Posts
Probably not many left with the new mandate for emissions testing down there. CA is now taking a checksum of the PCM files and comparing it to known factory configurations. If you have a tune installed the checksum won't match and you don't pass inspection.

I don't know a lick about tuning, but since a car is a computer with wheels, is it possible to just detune to a backed up factory setting on smog day to pass?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't know a lick about tuning, but since a car is a computer with wheels, is it possible to just detune to a backed up factory setting on smog day to pass?
Currently, yes probably. You would have to drive it around in stock form long enough to for all the readiness tests to complete. If you have done something beyond what the stock computer can compensate for this will be an issue.

However the PCMs do store information about the last date and time they were flashed. As far as I know CA is not currently looking at that information but the data is there should they look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts