Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you find a good set of snow tires for the Z, how about posting what you purchased and how they perform?

This would be a good reference for the rest of us, and possibly save us some money by weeding out the bad from the good.

sparrow

·
Registered
27 Posts
One of the best snow tires you can get in 15 or 16" sizes would probably be Michelen X-Ice Xi2. I've used them for the last 2 winters and are great. On my Del sol, I've been using Nexen winterguards and while not as good as the x-ice, they perform good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last year, I bought a set of General Altimax Arctic from TireRack for my Accord and am very happy with them. They were inexpensive (~$75 per tire) and perform great in the snow. I have never tried any other snow tires so I can't offer any comparison to other models. After 1 season on driving on these, I will never go back to driving on all season tires in the snow. The difference is amazing. They also don't do too bad on the dry pavement either. I am planning on using the same tires on my CR-Z when it gets snowy.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I have been really happy with the Ultra High Performance All Season Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Dry-Wet-Snow) tires that I have now... and yes.. they do very well in the snow for a non full winter tire. I would actually feel comfortable with these for most of the winter.. but then there are those really nasty , wet, cold and ICY days.... where it never gets above 30 degrees..

So I am planning on getting the Continental Winter version of the same tire, The Extreme Winter Contact... similar tire... except with a winter (below 40 degrees) compound.

Will post more after I get them.. and use them in some nasty stuff.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R (195/55R-16) Expensive ($700 for a set of 4) put them on steel 16" Honda rims. I've used Nokian's many times before and love them even though they are pricey!

I just did a post in the suspension/handling section about the TPMS and VSA system. I found out today I can't turn the vsa off if the TPMS light is on, which it is because I didn't swap the TPMS sensors or buy and program another set...bummer. The VSA is not too bad in sport mode, but really is a dog in econ trying to fly up my steep driveway in the snow. I'd like to be able to turn it off if I want to but I can't or at least don't know how to do it.

Snow tires are the way to go here in Minnesota/Wisconsin.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I just bought a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R (195/55R-16) Expensive ($700 for a set of 4) put them on steel 16" Honda rims. I've used Nokian's many times before and love them even though they are pricey!

I just did a post in the suspension/handling section about the TPMS and VSA system. I found out today I can't turn the vsa off if the TPMS light is on, which it is because I didn't swap the TPMS sensors or buy and program another set...bummer. The VSA is not too bad in sport mode, but really is a dog in econ trying to fly up my steep driveway in the snow. I'd like to be able to turn it off if I want to but I can't or at least don't know how to do it.

Snow tires are the way to go here in Minnesota/Wisconsin.
$700 for a set of tires.. and yet you wont spend the bucks for the TPMS sensors? I would just go that route.... less hassle. if you dont want to spend the bucks for new... look for junkyard late model Honda sensors... should fit! Might want to research it first...

·
Registered
25 Posts
touche'

Well, I suppose you have a bit of a point there regarding my $700 tires...but at least snow tires do something of real value for me. These sensors are just glorified and expensive tire air pressure gauges required on all new cars sold in US. Expensive to purchase then you gotta pay to have them programed to match your car and installed. Last I checked it would cost well over $100/tire. Not sure how I survived so long without them:dunno:

Does anybody know what a spare set of TPMS sensors cost for the CR-Z and how much to program?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Well, I suppose you have a bit of a point there regarding my $700 tires...but at least snow tires do something of real value for me. These sensors are just glorified and expensive tire air pressure gauges required on all new cars sold in US. Expensive to purchase then you gotta pay to have them programed to match your car and installed. Last I checked it would cost well over $100/tire. Not sure how I survived so long without them:dunno:

Does anybody know what a spare set of TPMS sensors cost for the CR-Z and how much to program?
I was quoted like $50 per tire.. not cheap... but possibly necessary.....

Good luck with it....

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'm running Michelin X-Ice X12 205/55-16 in the stock 16" wheels. I got 205 as they were waaaay cheaper and easier to get a hold of then 195. Road noise is a lot lower then the stock summer tires, and they handle both snow and wet conditions well. The only tires that beat them in the test I read were Continental.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I just did a post in the suspension/handling section about the TPMS and VSA system. I found out today I can't turn the vsa off if the TPMS light is on, which it is because I didn't swap the TPMS sensors or buy and program another set...bummer.
Double checked with a tech at Discount tire.. TPMS sensors new and installed $44 per tire

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I used Hakkapeliitta SUV on my mitsu, they really are good, but for studless I really like the Michelin tires. I've tried a few different brands over the years. Vredstein were really good for braking, but not as good for climbing those steep hills. So far I'm very satisfied with my Michelins at least.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Double checked with a tech at Discount tire.. TPMS sensors new and installed $44 per tire
I checked a few Honda Dealers around town (Minneapolis/St. Paul). Total of $250 for 4 TPMS Sensors and the nuts/washers need to mount on steel wheels. Then of course, I gotta pay somebody another $50 or so to install. I know...I know...I wouldn't have to pay the last $50 if I had done this at first. Just have to decide now if $300 is worth turning off the idiot light and being able to turn off the VSA...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Got my Conti WinterContactExtreme tires put on today. Went with 205/55R16s on the stock rims. Tires at 35psi to start with.. new TPMS sensors installed ($44 each.. Discount programmed them, no dealer needed!).

Driving home was a trip... it was pretty warm today, around 50 or so driving home. The tires felt really "Loose", not precise like my normal Contis. But after a few miles (warmed up.. scuffed a bit), they felt very secure... handling was almost as good as I am used to. Now just have to wait for the white stuff to land, melt, refreeze, etc... to see how these tires do. I am actually looking forward to it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
One of the best snow tires you can get in 15 or 16" sizes would probably be Michelen X-Ice Xi2. I've used them for the last 2 winters and are great. On my Del sol, I've been using Nexen winterguards and while not as good as the x-ice, they perform good.
I actually just bought 4 of those tires! I'm waiting for them to come in to get installed. I will post my results. They looked like great tires for the price. I drive 100 miles a day, so I figured it was a good investment. Do you see much mileage degradation with the snow tires?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.