Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Snow sock

8K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  luddite 
#1 ·
I have heard of an easy to fit alternative to snow chains called snow socks which are much easier to fit at point of use.
Has anyone had any experience of them on a CRZ or any other front wheel drive?

#2 ·
You mean like these:
Home Page > ISSE > ES#2129939 Super ECO C-700 Textile Snow "Chains" - C70066

Going by the comments on another forum they are only for local driving around snow covered roads. Not for open pavement or long highway commutes. I guess they could be useful if you keep them in the rear cubby storage and bring out if you find a driveway or hill you can't climb. Of course then you have to brave the cold/snow to jack the car up and put these on.

#4 ·
I dunno. Having a hard time thinking of how they work after covering up all the tread on a tire. How does a piece of cloth trump rubber and tread on roads with snow or ice?

Wonder what the State Highway Patrol would say going through the mountain passes where chains or traction tires are required? But sir,.....?? The're orange and glow in the dark.

Sorry, a little skepical on this one. But mind is open to convincing otherwise.

#10 ·
#15 ·
They are only designed for use on snow and ice to get you out of a jam, not as a substitute for winter tyres.
Since I bought them there has been no snow and the local roads are all clear.
I am praying for snow. :)

#19 ·
Shouldn't be a problem. Wiper for the top section, and have rarely seen the small vertical glass fog yet. Even if it should my experience is that the CR-Z defrosters work exceptionally well!

... then again I haven't experienced snow yet either, so maybe someone else will confirm.

#20 ·
Same as with any other car, requires brushing/scraping off snow, using defrost and/or de-icer.

#22 ·
Heavy snow in NJ now.
I went out to test the rear wiper.
There was about 2 inches snow which cannot be touched by wiper.
I have not gotten enough time to let the defroster work.
The rear view becomes smaller.

No rear wiper in UK? Will snow stock up when stopping at traffic light?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.