Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, guys

I bought the car few months ago and when I revv it hard I noticed a weird smell, like something getting hot and coming from the engine, I think, it is more noticeable with the windows down. What can it be? have anyone of you had this issue?

It is a 2010 with 160.000 km

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
man, I don't know how rotten eggs smell, but it smells like something hot, or burning, I remember associating it with dust on a very hot surface. and no, no other indicators. it starts only after 5000 rpm or something

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
First thing I'd do, is clean the engine bay (after you've check the condition of hoses, belt, and gaskets for possible leaks.) Let car sit overnight so engine is cold, then spray big debris off with light spray from garden hose. Then, spray down with Simple Green; wait a minute or two, then rinse. Start car and drive down the road to let things dry and/or blow dry the nooks & crannies and wipe clean. Next time you drive, test it out to see if the smell is still present.

I hope you're not revving up past 5,000 rpm while stationary. If you're running up to red-line going through the gears, you might have a hot-belt smell from it slipping on the pulley, so it could need checked for adjustment, but other than that, there shouldn't be any smell other than that of things heating up (but not burning up.)

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Depending on who did your oil changes and how careful they were it could be oil that dripped on the manifold. I had a dealer coat my engine in oil during an oil change and as I left had visible smoke from under the hood and a burning smell. I took it right back and they cleaned the engine and car has not been back there. I further cleaned it myself when I got home.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, thank you for your contribution. I tried to revv it fast on the highway and the smell is more like electric parts getting hot. And it might be not related to the engine so much as to the electric assistance. The reason I say this is because when the engine is high in 5-6000 rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear the IMA does not kick in that much, and the smell is not there. But from the 4th gear up the assistance is more present and the smell also. I need to test it more, but as much as I can say for now, the smell is related to the intensity of the IMA assistance. When I run the car under normal load, no pushing, the smell is not present, or at least it doesn't reach me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If that would be the case, the question is, is that a worrisome issue, what could be the cause and what could I do?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Get a mate to help you. In neutral, rev it to 3500 until it starts charging. then poke around the rear cargo area and listen for whining and sniff around to see if it's coming from your controller or inverter. Maybe go for a ride in the back seat to see if the smell is stronger back there when the assist is on...

Otherwise, I'd say the motor might be toast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will do this when I have the chance. As for the motor, supposing you mean the electric engine, how can it be toast and still work? ‘Cause it works

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The only smell I have ever smelled in BOTH of my CR-z was the stated 'rotten egg smell' aka sulfur smell at high RPM on the highway. Both of mine did this at times and I think it was from the catalytic converter. It went away after a while..

But, this may not be what you are smelling. Yours may be different.

I would keep driving and see what happens. Only so much you can do now anyways. Sooner or later the problem will either get worse or disappear. My guess is on the latter. It will probably go away like mine did.

If its the electric motor, there isnt anything you can do unless you pull the transmission. I have done this. If it stops working, your battery wont be getting charged. Chances are, unless your car is a lemon, its not this. My last CRZ had over 200k with no issues with the motor. The motor also looked fine when I pulled the trans. As far as I could tell at least.

Wish you luck!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, I got the car from a guy in Belgium in April, with 151000 km. I hope nothing serious will happen with it.
Good luck to you too!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I think it will be fine!!

When I bought mine used, the whole drive home (about 300 miles) I could smell rotten egg (sulfur) smell when I stepped on the gas very hard. As the months wore on.. it went away. Every now and again I can smell it faintly, but not so much as the one time I heated the cat up really well. It was very warm out that day too. Not sure if that added to it.

You should take it on a long ride, heat the catalytic converter up as much as possible, and then let it cool down. It seems like several high heat / cool cycles got rid of the smell for me. It will eventually go away!!

Also, I see you are new, so I sent you the FSM in case you want to look stuff up!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, I already got it :) I don't think the smell is anything like rotten eggs though... Is more like something heated up, as you can smell when a wall socket is shorted and causing heating.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
if youre really on it, yup it will smell like exhaust smells. chances are if it was bad , you will smell it at other rpms as well. also fyi the IMA only assists until a certain rpm, also if youre really on it then you will lose IMA quickly and at a certain point it gives up and you go all gas motor until you recharge it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hello, guys. Long time no posting... So I had this accident and took my car to Honda service for repairing. Because they could not finalize the repairing before a month, because of shipping of some parts, and because I had to leave the city for another month, tonight I still wait for taking it out tomorrow, after almost 2 months. I told them about the problem with the smell but I don't have much hope as they don't have specialized personnel on electric parts. Before I left a month ago I payed them a visit and charged a battery for a little. The charging scale was with no lines, and I started the engine and revved it in N for a while. After a while, the first line appeared one, but afterward it reached 8 lines very fast. The battery was disconnected during the repair process, as the radio asked for unlock code. I don't know if it is a normal behaviour of the charging scale, given the circumstances. Do you have any informed thoughts on this?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts