Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving around in economy mode which as you probably know has you shift into 6 gear around 32-33 mph. So after driving the car for the past month I've started skipping into higher gears all the time. An example accelerate out of a turn in your neighborhood and your probably in 3rd gear going 30-34 mph so instead of going from 3rd to 4th to 5th to 6th since your going over the economy computer recommend speed I just shift from 3rd straight to 6th.

In traffic if accelerating hard be in 4th going 38 mph skip straight to 6th.

The up shift light comes on to shift into 6th at low 30's mph so anybody see any problems skipping all the in-between gears??

· Registered
522 Posts
i skip from 4th to 6th if im done accelerating (ie holding speed around 35 mph).

i think this could potentially be bad for synchros, but i dont see it doing much harm if you're holding speed / constant revs

· Registered
282 Posts
I learned to drive stick over 50 yrs ago and only had 3 forward gears then. I came from a car with 5 gears. And long as you're up to speed I dont think it matters whether or not you skip. I must say though that as I've grown accustomed to the 6 gears I find myself rarely skipping anymore. Just seems a smoother transition. I love the gearbox. Have always thought that Honda had exceptionally smooth manual transmissions. Prior 2006 Accord mt owner and also have a Fit mt. Off subject but imo the best fun with shifting gears though is in sport. Dont let it out but that's why they turn the shift light off in sport. And trust me, mileage doesn't really suffer that much in sport or at least it hasn't for me. I keep the car there almost exclusively.

· Registered
263 Posts
I have been short-shifting in the CR-Z almost since I got it. Given how little difference exists in the revs when doing this (less than 1k rpm when short shifting), I doubt there would be any extra wear on the synchros, but a mechanic on the site may be able to chime in. One could argue there is saving on wear and tear since you're not shifting as often. I just love the extra power in the lower rpm range afforded by the IMA. It is so much better than my '98 Civic HX that would always lug if I didn't rev it higher. The CR-Z is great in that regard.

· Registered
1,390 Posts
looks like im going against the current yet again on this matter :p. Skip shifting is bad bad. Its not good for your transmission and can lead to premature wear on synchros.

The synchros are designed to take the stress caused by shifting or downshifting in single increments.

Some people say that rev matching or double clutching will prevent this stress or lessen it. While in some cases it may be true, im going to play it safe rather than sorry.

i ROW ROW ROW through the gears. I never skip shift.

· Registered
2,560 Posts
same when braking i go from 6th to 3rd. i rarely do it when accelerating though but it happens sometimes that i skip 5th gear (4th to 6th)

on a Side note looking at the guy above me i'm no longer the lowest MPG CRZ lol.

· Registered
2,488 Posts
^ when braking i skip down sometimes too. when coming to a complete stop i leave it in gear until i get no more charge then i put it in neutral but if i need to keep moving i do switch from 6th to like 3rd or 4th while slowing down and keep moving.

EDIT: lol, time for a low mileage CR-Z thread thread too. time to take the forums back from all these hypermilers posing as ordinary citizens. (jk)

· Registered
669 Posts
I will confess to skipping gears, most frequently 5th. However, I think that if you're not shifting at redline, and pause slightly between gears, the additional wear on the synchros is minimal. (also, ours is a lease :blush: )

· Registered
99 Posts
My downshift light only comes on when I dropped below 1k RPM when I first bought the car.
...which brings me to a question. With my other cars (VWs) they recommended at least 1500RPM when moving in any gear. The CR-Z encourages upshifting when it'll result in just above 1000RPM. Problem?

· Registered
1,939 Posts
I learned to drive stick over 50 yrs ago and only had 3 forward gears then. I came from a car with 5 gears. And long as you're up to speed I dont think it matters whether or not you skip. I must say though that as I've grown accustomed to the 6 gears I find myself rarely skipping anymore. Just seems a smoother transition. I love the gearbox. Have always thought that Honda had exceptionally smooth manual transmissions. Prior 2006 Accord mt owner and also have a Fit mt. Off subject but imo the best fun with shifting gears though is in sport. Dont let it out but that's why they turn the shift light off in sport. And trust me, mileage doesn't really suffer that much in sport or at least it hasn't for me. I keep the car there almost exclusively.
holy crap, my dads 52, how old r u? lol JK:thumbsup:

· Registered
175 Posts
My downshift light only comes on when I dropped below 1k RPM when I first bought the car.
...which brings me to a question. With my other cars (VWs) they recommended at least 1500RPM when moving in any gear. The CR-Z encourages upshifting when it'll result in just above 1000RPM. Problem?
It's not a problem, it should be economic.
The reason is the range of max torque which is as low as 1000-1500 rpm (combined combustion engine and electric motor).

· Registered
208 Posts
looks like im going against the current yet again on this matter :p. Skip shifting is bad bad. Its not good for your transmission and can lead to premature wear on synchros.
Got any facts to back that up? (Seriously)

Skip shifting makes for half the number of synchro engagements, so you can allow for twice the wear and still break even. Less wear on the clutch and shifter mechanism.

Synchro on 5th went on my RX7 at about 140k miles, and I'd frequently shift 1st/2nd to 5th in that (at redline). Very different to skipping 4 or 5 and just jumping one at low power levels.

· Registered
271 Posts
I would hazard that any shifting done below 3K RPM as destination (final gear),
would have no undue wear on the syncros. The only car that I have ever worn out the syncros on is a 65 mustang 3 speed that I learned to drive on. (Also learned to double clutch on that car, Ouch!) K

This trans likes to be shifted slowly, just don't try to jam it into gear until it wants to go!

(Also has anyone noticed that there seems to be a gate that keeps you from going into any gear from neutral when the clutch is out, even when the motor is not running?)

· Registered
16 Posts
(Also has anyone noticed that there seems to be a gate that keeps you from going into any gear from neutral when the clutch is out, even when the motor is not running?)

YES! I test drove one a few months ago and noticed that, figured i would push in the clutch and perhaps it was that particular one. Bought my own CRZ today and noticed that again very quickly, iv had 3 cars in the past that came standard and i never used the clutch to go into neutral but i feel like im hurting this car every time i do. Figure i'll use the clutch for now and see if anyone else notices the same problem, if it be one at all. Does anyone know if this hurts any of the components in the car?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.