Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been thinking about my seats, and how easily they can get dirty, as well as the arm rests on the doors. So since i can't reupholster my own seats and can't afford to have them done by a pro, i was thinking about dying them. Did alittle research and found a company called Simple Spray, watched the video and think this might be possible. They say the material is soft and the color wont rub off but how true is that? Has anyone ever delt with this stuff, and or dying fabric or seats at all? What was the out come and what did it take to get it done? All these Qs and more if the need may arise.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So no one has experience with this product or done anything like it? OK well im not really goin to do it till spring at the earliest. But would like to do more research on the product and experiences with doing this. Will keep you guys informed as i learn.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I wouldn't do it. It's one thing to re-spray an old beater thrift store couch, but the seats in your brand new CR-Z? :cry:

No way...not for me!:scared:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I guess you rather have me spend the money to get new ones or get them redone, well if I do that then why not spray them and see how it comes out and if it's not good enough then continue with replacing them which is money I don't have or want to spend.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
If you don't care what others think then by all means the spray sounds like a great idea.

Some folks will always look down on "cheap" DIY mods and say do it right by going with new seats or seat fabric. But those folks don't drive your car or share your wallet :eek:hyeah:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've got smudges and marks on my dirty passenger's side, and I'm not all that bothered as it's not me sitting on it. Tried to use a damp cloth though to wipe it all off, for an hour I thought it worked.. until it dried up. :mellow:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do any of you ney sayers come from experience one way or another or just assume it can't work. And again if I'm going to spend the money on redoing the seats then way not experiment and see how it works out, if it does I saved money, if it doesn't then I spent a few extra bucks that at that point won't matter.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I've sprayed headlights before (thought I'd save money over film) Came out rough and uneven. Trying to rub the spray left streaks and marks. I gave up eventually then ruined the lights using paint stripper to remove the paint.

Not sure if fabric spray will have the same issues. Your biggest problem I assume will be creating a nice even coverage that doesn't look like it was done my middle schoolers for an art project. This may not help but I'd thought I'd offer my experience.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
i wouldn't do it bro, i wont say do it right and get new seats or have them redone bc we know how go huskie feels about that lol.. but i say find a product that works well to clean, try some simple TUFF STUFF and a cotton rag. or just save some funds with time and get them either redone or some seats. i got the thumbs up from the misses for seats :) so im thinking bride zeta 3 or buddy clubs idk yet.

FYI gohuskie, a friend text me saying "hey i saw a white cr-z with jdm badges" figured it was you, she lives in Ellington, ct idk if it was around there that she saw you.

·
Registered
666 Posts
No need to get all pissy about it...people have their opinions.

I think what we all mean is, do it if YOU want to do it. In the pictures, the couches and chairs looked al streaky and splotchy. The color was uneven.

Will it make filthy worn-out seats look "new again"? I think not. Will it make them look "way better"? I think so. Personally, that's what I spent $60.00 on a Bissell Little Green Clean Machine for. That thing works wonders!

To each his own...do what you like. I hope it turns out well and you don't regret getting it done. :mellow:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
FYI gohuskie, a friend text me saying "hey i saw a white cr-z with jdm badges" figured it was you, she lives in Ellington, ct idk if it was around there that she saw you.
Dragging the thread OT eh :pP:

I'd bet she saw my car, I was driving through East Windsor - South Windsor today which are right by Ellington.

Anyone know a rough cost on having the seats reupholstered
http://www.luxmotorwerks.com/content/services

I was pointed to these guys from an Audi owner. Quoted me $1400 for both seats, armrest, and door fabric. That would be with brown leather with heating elements. That is more expensive than typical online upholstery but the finished product is excellent or so I've been told.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Would get some spray, go to a junk yard, grab a seat and experiment with it. The tech side of the house says there is no reason to think that it could not be a cheap but good solution. Just needs some testing.

Whatever color is selected, the black accents will still be there.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Don't forget that if you paint interior pieces, you have to air them out for a long while or the smell will get trapped inside. I'm still smelling the aerosol smell (although only faintly now) and it was pretty dizzying the first week. Painted/aerosol dye textures are also pretty different than a solution dyed/colored textile. Everything tends to get sort of hard and scratchy. On a headliner it wasn't bad because you don't touch it much. Could be more noticeable on something as direct as a seat or headrest.

Try on something else first, as fabrics are really finicky. It would be a safer bet to not go the painting route on seats however as there are to many variables.

Good luck for whatever you choose! :)

-Hoi

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
they say let the material to sit for 72 hours, i would do them outside and let sit for the weekend outside. then vacuum them a bunch (as they sya to do) to make them soft, Would be doing them in midnight black so they would sctually look like they are done with carbon fiber. would be hard to find a seat at a junker thats the same material unless yall know a model car that has similar material.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok picked up a can of simple spray this weekend, had an old shirt that almost looked like the same material as the seat, at this point I'm both mad and glad I got rid of it. So I will find something similar to test with.

Went by an upholstery spot over here and they say it would be blotchy but I believe that would depend on the skills of the one doing the work. And besides if it get messed up I can have the covers custom made and mounted for $350.

Another thing, I want to do the doors in black also, I can probably use "duplicolor" but will it show the color below if it gets scratched or can I do it thick enough that may not be an issue?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.