Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...

I don't see anyone reporting that they've gotten into a car accident with their CR-Z
Unfortunately, I'm it...

I'm new to manual transmissions. Sure I've learned before on a friend's car, but I never owned a manual vehicle of my own, until I got my CR-Z.

It was just past dusk.
I was pulling off the Long Island Expressway onto Route 110 South.
I was waiting at the light, on the right side of two lanes that are to merge onto RTE110.
There was an 18 Wheeler to my left, who needless to say, didn't see me.

The light turns green, and I stall out in 1st gear.
The 18 Wheeler, who should've turned right into the middle, or maybe even the left lane of RTE110, aimed for the right lane.

After I stall, I look over to my left.
I see the accident coming, but I cant start the car back, up and get moving in time.

I watched the trailer of this 18 Wheeler, run into and along the side of my car.
The ****er didnt even know he hit me.

I had to put it in Sport mode, and chase him down the road to get him to stop. That is when my side view mirror fell off.

I hadn't even made the 2nd payment yet. I hadn't even crossed 1500miles.
I cursed a lot, and loud...

I paid my deductible, Geico forked up $7k in parts and labor.
Geico agrees the accident wasnt my fault as I wasn't moving when I was struck.
Not to mention the dude was taking the turn improperly.

Two and half weeks later my car is as new as can be.

They replaced the door, bumpers & panels.

At least its a lease.

2011-03-15_07-20-33_890 by AngrySpade, on Flickr

2011-03-15_07-20-17_294 by AngrySpade, on Flickr

2011-03-15_07-20-08_637 by AngrySpade, on Flickr

2011-03-15_07-20-02_102 by AngrySpade, on Flickr

2011-03-15_07-19-53_839 by AngrySpade, on Flickr

2011-03-15_07-19-43_301 by AngrySpade, on Flickr

2011-03-15_07-19-33_918 by AngrySpade, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Maybe im being a bit of a pr*ck, but semi's have wide turn signs for a reason.

And its great youre learning to drive stick, but why not learn on a piece of sht that no one cares about?

Plus your car is black. No one sees black cars. I had a black car. It was driven into twice in one month.

Glad you are ok and you arent too discouraged, but you kinda had it coming. You had a lot of things against you in your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
glad that you are okay ... learn from experience, and practice makes perfect, keep up with the stick and have fun with the Z ... :thumbsup:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
Glad you are o.k. That would be VERY scary to see a semi coming at you in our little car!!!
^ Yea.. Semi and a car of any type grinding metal is not a good thing.. As others have stated, its all about you and yours being OK. And sounds like it was all facial repairs with no structural issues..

Careful out there...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What's important is that I am OK. I know that.
Thanks for the kind words; even TinTin I think.

You shouldn't have had to pay anything, it should all be covered by the truck driver's insurance. Unless maybe for some reason you had to pay first and get reimbursed??
You have to pay the $500 deductible, Geico will pay that back to me if/when the truck's insurance company pays up. Its out of my hands really.

Sorry I feel your pain. Curious, what's that white stuff on the panels? Salt? Frost?
Frost... Early morning photo...

Maybe im being a bit of a pr*ck, but semi's have wide turn signs for a reason.

And its great youre learning to drive stick, but why not learn on a piece of sht that no one cares about?

Plus your car is black. No one sees black cars. I had a black car. It was driven into twice in one month.

Glad you are ok and you arent too discouraged, but you kinda had it coming. You had a lot of things against you in your situation.
Semis make wide turns... I know that.

Not that I really wanna have an internet argument...
But you kinda need to see the intersection...

See how there are two lanes to turn right.
At the line right there, I was in the rightmost lane and he was to my left.
If he took the turn properly, he would be turning into the middle or left lane and he wouldn't have crushed me at the line.

I learned how to drive stick already, just slightly out of practice. One way or another, you have to start somehow. Lucky you to have a beater noone cares about.

The thing about black cars though, I never thought about.
Initially I wanted the silver, but I went to two dealerships, if they had a MT it was always black no-navi.

At least it's back to new, and the memory of an impending semi is quickly fading away.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.