Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,021 Posts
And so many new members want to know how to disable the auto stop. Auto-Stop works less or more in some modes and conditions than others. It is the main fuel saving feature of the car and many vehicles have that feature and some are not even Hybrids or electric.

·
Registered
Milano Red, 6MT, 2010
33 Posts
The ECU decides (based on various parameters) wether to turn the engine off or keep it running. Some of those are engine temp, AC engaged or not, heat on full blast, hybrid battery state of charge.

This engine is designed to do this and there is no reason to be worried about premature wear and tear. It is important to use the right oil however, Honda Green 5W20. It starts using the IMA motor so no wear on the starter. (Starter is there only as a back up for when the IMA system can't function for whatever reason)

If you are still concerned however you can keep the engine running by turning on the front defroster. It works even if you manually disable the AC and turn down the fan.

·
Premium Member
9,021 Posts
You can very simply turn on the defroster or the ac in High fan to disable auto stop. But as stated it is the main fuel economy feature on this car and is controlled as stated by many different parameters in all modes. Many vehicles, even non hybrids and non-electric vehicles, have this feature now.

Summary it is a normal feature of the car and nothing to be feared or disabled.

do you have team vtec near you? they now can disable the start/stop function, my car was the test car to find out how they can disable this function :D

·
Premium Member
9,021 Posts
In the US owner's manual it is 0W20 oil other than that I agree with your recommendations, but you can also disable using the ac manually in high fan or as you say defrost with low fan.

Any 0W20 oil is fine. I happen to be using full synthetic in mine, and originally the car had a blended oil. There is no fully conventional 0W20 oil. There is lots of Hype and FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) around oil. Main thing is to change it by the minder, mileage or once a year. See the many oil discussions on this forum.

The ECU decides (based on various parameters) wether to turn the engine off or keep it running. Some of those are engine temp, AC engaged or not, heat on full blast, hybrid battery state of charge.

This engine is designed to do this and there is no reason to be worried about premature wear and tear. It is important to use the right oil however, Honda Green 5W20. It starts using the IMA motor so no wear on the starter. (Starter is there only as a back up for when the IMA system can't function for whatever reason)

If you are still concerned however you can keep the engine running by turning on the front defroster. It works even if you manually disable the AC and turn down the fan.

·
Registered
Milano Red, 6MT, 2010
33 Posts
Sorry I could be wrong on the oil type, I wrote this off the top of my head.

As far as I am aware the front defroster trick also works of you turn down the fan.

Rear defroster does not though.

·
Premium Member
9,021 Posts
Sorry I could be wrong on the oil type, I wrote this off the top of my head.

As far as I am aware the front defroster trick also works of you turn down the fan.

Rear defroster does not though.
Rear defroster is an electrical grid in the rear window and on some cars the exterior mirrors. Front is the fan in the ac/heater. Only the front will affect auto stop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts