Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article that said "there is no noticeable shudder as the engine starts back up after auto shut off" Well mine is noticeable, its not annoying or anything, BUT you can feel when it kicks back on it has just a slight shudder.

What about everyone else, can you feel it kick back on ?

J

·
Registered
618 Posts
I feel a slight shutter. I have a manual.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's real easy to kill the engine if you don't give it a bit of settling time after it auto-starts (6MT). I can avoid the inconsistent power and start-up shutter if I anticipate the lights a bit, and put it in gear a few seconds before I need to start moving. It's not as "seamless" as some trade rags would lead you to believe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is odd, I can put it in gear and immediately take off after auto start.
What mode do you run in most often? I've noticed it the most in econ and normal mode. It's probably due to my trying to do slow, easy accelerations in those modes. I don't know that I've really noticed it when in sport mode.

It's almost like their debounce algorithm needs a bit of tweaking. There is a distinct spike in the RPMs when it first restarts the engine, and then it oscillates down and back up from there. I'm probably catching it on the down cycle before the throttle control unit responds to my overriding input.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I test drove CVT about a month ago and noticed something like this too. I'm used to quickly letting off the brake and pressing the gas(not floring it) in my current car as I tend to try to accelerate faster than most, but not outright raging it. If I did that on the CR-Z when the auto shutoff was active, it seemed like the engine struggled for a second before jerking forward. Found I'd have to let off the brake and wait about a second for the engine to start up before I press on the gas to get a smooth start.

This in in Sport mode with the AC set to auto, or whatever the salesman set it to, BTW

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
It's real easy to kill the engine if you don't give it a bit of settling time after it auto-starts (6MT). I can avoid the inconsistent power and start-up shutter if I anticipate the lights a bit, and put it in gear a few seconds before I need to start moving. It's not as "seamless" as some trade rags would lead you to believe.
I noticed this too in ECON mode when starting from a stop on my test drive. I talked about it my review as a "hiccup" before starting to move.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine is a CVT, and I have noticed a few auto-shutoff related things--

1. Engine restarts at times while stopped (apparently related to having climate control on, but I can't remember if that's always been the case when it's happened
  2. What I feel is a small engine surge, which sounds like what some of you all are describing
  3. Occasional failure of the so-called "creep aid system" that is supposed to stop the car from drifting just after you release the brake while stopped... a little disconcerting when stopped on an up-slope!

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Mine is a CVT, and I have noticed a few auto-shutoff related things--

1. Occasional failure of the so-called "creep aid system" that is supposed to stop the car from drifting just after you release the brake while stopped... a little disconcerting when stopped on an up-slope!
i don't think that applies to the CVT... to my knowledge the "Hill-Start Assist" is only on the 6MT... good that you pointed out the car drifts back after the auto-stop feature is turning the engine back on... i wonder if other ppl are experiencing this?? i would assume ppl with the Insight also might have issues with that?

·
Registered
314 Posts
i don't think that applies to the CVT... to my knowledge the "Hill-Start Assist" is only on the 6MT... good that you pointed out the car drifts back after the auto-stop feature is turning the engine back on... i wonder if other ppl are experiencing this?? i would assume ppl with the Insight also might have issues with that?
Creep Aid System (which stood out because of its funny name) is listed as a technical feature on the "sticker" that details the car's features-- same section as where the CVT and Idle Stop Feature are listed. I found it described on a web site with Honda tech info as follows:

When you release the brake pedal
while the Auto Idle Stop function
activates, this feature keeps the
braking pressure until the engine
starts, and prevents the vehicle from
dropping back.​

Perhaps I need to be quicker from brake to accelerator, but then the eco score might not be happy! :pP:

·
Registered
314 Posts
hmmmz... well i know the hill-start assist is only holding for 1.5seconds... maybe you're taking 2 seconds to press the gas??
I may be "old" at 45, but am not THAT slow!!! :blink:

Actually one of my irritated, angry driver expressions is "is it really that hard to move your foot from the left pedal to the right pedal?!?!" (grumbled to myself, as opposed to shouting it out the window at the offending drivers)! Also use "it's the one on the RIGHT!" fairly frequently. Yes, my commute to and from work has driven me mildly insane!!! :eek:

Seriously, though, it is something to be wary about, particularly when the driver in back of you wants to be up close and personal at the stop light/sign.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I drive mainly in sport but I do notice what you are experiencing in normal or econ. I think it has to do with the throttle curve in those modes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.