Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z EX CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, long time lurker here, (read; 7 years) and have now been a member for 1 year, i figured id kick off my build thread to celebrate.

I can still remember the day i first saw the CR-Z on honda's website, i was 13 at the time and just knew i had to have one. Fast forward to December 2018 when i bought a slightly-less-than-pristine CVT example in Storm Silver off a friend for a steal. It was missing a side skirt, had some fender damage from a minor collision, as well as a healthy 150k (highway) miles on it, but aside from that and a pretty average amount of interior wear it was in great shape mechanically.

Ill be honest, theres not many mods i've yet had the chance to install, but like everyone else here i have big plans. but ill start with repairs that i made before even thinking about modding the car.

First things first, on its maiden voyage from my old home in VA to my new home in TX i overdischarged my battery by flipping on the lights while taking a quick rest stop in alabama. AAA got me back on the road but warned that my 12v battery was toast. No biggie. Bit the bullet and replaced it with a Yellow Top Optima, havent had problems since.

Next up; the smashed fender. Forgive me for not saving pics of the process but basically i took the fender off and my dad and i took turns passing the hammer back and forth until it somewhat resembled its original shape. The paint i bought to rematch the fender was incorrectly matched and i probably shouldve just taken it to a paint shop but alas, we live and learn. the final finish was good enough for me and i plan to replace the fender in the near future, as well as maybe the facelift since my bumpers have some cosmetic wear and could use replacing down the road anyways.
After that i bought a new set of sideskirts from redlineautoparts. one of the clips was broken but JB weld cures all. Finally, no more missing panels!

About a year later (due to financial issues) i bought some carbon fibre vinyl and wrapped up the center console pieces, always hated the chrome accents, they felt so out of place.
also bought some cheap amazon foglights to get me by until i could afford the super expensive OEM fogs. installed behind the grille on either side of the license plate.

SO NOW...MODS?

okay okay, thats a lot of bs that most people probably aren't interested in, where are the real mods right?!
sometimes i wonder the same thing, so heres a small list of everything ive done since that could be considered a mod, heads up theres not much.

thats it for now, will post a few pictures later from my phone. Might follow those with talk about what i plan to do next, also down for some Q&A or some chitchat with other Z enthusiasts.

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z EX CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Above, you can see the remaining imperfections in the driver side fender if you look close but to the unknowing eye it doesn’t look far off (or so I tell myself)

quick peek at the battery (oh yeah there’s an engine in here too 😅)

ah, dirty in here too. Maybe I should clean it? nothing crazy here just showing of my super rookie wrap job.

fitment after spacer install and lift. I know it’s a whole lot of arch gap but if you saw the streets where I live you’d understand. I’ll get more in depth on the spacers later.

The build as I bought it (from the pretty side)
vs the build as it sits.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
Lookin' good! You might want to do a search for the Civic (oval) foglights that are the same shape/size for the 2011-2012 CR-Z, but you just have to use the CR-Z's mounting bracket and maybe trim a small part of something off to get the perfect fit. I just remember someone saying that they are just about the same thing only MUCH less expensive.

I like that you just jump right in there and and fix up the broken parts. :) I have a gray/silver 2002 Insight that I just had to take the bumper off and fix an area where a ground hog won the battle, but lost the war with my bumper. I used the same paint code (rattle-can) as the rest of the car, but I'd have to point out the orange peel and miss-matched color for anyone to really notice--if they don't know what they're looking for, LOL, so, you'll be alright with that fender.

Oh, I see some daylight, when I look down through the front of your engine bay, so you might want to check out underneath and see what panels/covers are missing from underneath the engine. Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z EX CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lookin' good! You might want to do a search for the Civic (oval) foglights that are the same shape/size for the 2011-2012 CR-Z, but you just have to use the CR-Z's mounting bracket and maybe trim a small part of something off to get the perfect fit. I just remember someone saying that they are just about the same thing only MUCH less expensive.

I like that you just jump right in there and and fix up the broken parts. :) I have a gray/silver 2002 Insight that I just had to take the bumper off and fix an area where a ground hog won the battle, but lost the war with my bumper. I used the same paint code (rattle-can) as the rest of the car, but I'd have to point out the orange peel and miss-matched color for anyone to really notice--if they don't know what they're looking for, LOL, so, you'll be alright with that fender.

Oh, I see some daylight, when I look down through the front of your engine bay, so you might want to check out underneath and see what panels/covers are missing from underneath the engine. Just a thought. :)
I’ll have to look into those foglights, oem part was just unreasonable for some lights.

I love a good diy, and you’re right, in most lighting it’s pretty hard to tell

also on the daylight in the engine bay note you’re right, forgot to mention the panel you take off for oil changes is missing. I just haven’t gotten around to replacing it yet. On the to do list!

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z EX CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's someone else on the forum, I think they may be Canadian, that was looking for advise on doing a lift kit. Can't remember the user name att though.
I’ll see if I can figure out who it was and reach out. totalled around $100 and about 2 hours with a wrench and some jack stands. And the lift was just enough to prevent my car from scraping in every driveway/parking lot I leave

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I’ll see if I can figure out who it was and reach out. totalled around $100 and about 2 hours with a wrench and some jack stands. And the lift was just enough to prevent my car from scraping in every driveway/parking lot I leave
Found it: @Olive Tree

·
Registered
788 Posts
I’ll have to look into those foglights, oem part was just unreasonable for some lights.

I love a good diy, and you’re right, in most lighting it’s pretty hard to tell

also on the daylight in the engine bay note you’re right, forgot to mention the panel you take off for oil changes is missing. I just haven’t gotten around to replacing it yet. On the to do list!
If you are looking for a good replacement for the oil pan cover, check out the beatrush aluminum underpanel. it has cooling fins to channel cool air to the engine and is much easier to remove then the plastic OEM panel. Its just 4 bolts vs 6 pish pin clips and 4 regular screws.

Reactions: Shrkb8

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z EX CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are looking for a good replacement for the oil pan cover, check out the beatrush aluminum underpanel. it has cooling fins to channel cool air to the engine and is much easier to remove then the plastic OEM panel. Its just 4 bolts vs 6 pish pin clips and 4 regular screws.
Definitely want that. Remember runni across it during initial parts research. Might snag it later this year

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z EX CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Installed my first piece of engine bling (unless the battery counts)

it was a tight squeeze but I saved a lot of time on the install by only undoing the top 4 bolts of the fender where I found I had just enough room to flexthe brackets into place.

also installing a set of oem mudguards this weekend, didn’t realise how much work would be involved so the rears are on for now and I’ll install the front set tomorrow

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z EX CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Front flaps are way easier than the rears. Glad to see you installed them the "right" way.👍
So far that’s what I’m finding, got the first front flap on and about to do the second. Much easier than the rears. also I typically will try and do things the right way unless I’m missing the tools for the job and unable to buy them. Not gonna risk messing things up and for what... 6 bolts on the bumper? Worth the time if you ask me 😅

1 - 13 of 13 Posts