• No

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Change it

Votes: 7 15.9%
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yeah, there are a lot of people giving up on the forum because they couldn't figure out how to log in.
Thats really sad. Weren't there plenty of posts and notifications about it. A password reset would be required (or at least the smart thing to do) anywhere after a breach and no place not facebook, gmail, flickr/yahoo, twitter, sony, target or any government, company or place online is impervious.

Maybe FB will get it next, they won't be able to log in, will be too lazy to password change then and return en-masse to the forums.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I'm hardly a social media fan myself. It took a pretty harsh guilt-tripping from the Dragoneers to get me on Facebook just to be with the CR-Z group. I guess I can see a few benefits. Someone will inevitably post up a picture with the caption "hey, I did blahbitty blah blah this weekend, lol asuh kkthxbai", and it may stay on the forefront of FB for a couple days, but then fade away. The forum, on the other hand, requires some thoughtful composition when you post, which I find more useful for a permanent, encyclopedia-ish place to put information (ie: build threads)

This is just me thinking aloud, but I think some of the overall enthusiasm has died on the forum. The cars/owners aren't as new as they once were. Some cars have wrecked or been sold. And lets face it, there's nothing new anymore. K swap? Its been done. Supercharger? Its been done. Suspension mods? Done. Hypermiling tips? That's been done. Cosmetic body kits? Nothing new being developed it seems. New version of the CR-Z? Uh no...the car's discontinued. Everything that a new owner might want to know when they come to the forum has already been written. I think the Forum may be looking at a new life as an encyclopedia of information for CR-Zs, while FB gets the more instant day-to-day information. Facebook might be the better place to hold a monthly contest at this point.

·
Premium Member
6,288 Posts
I've got my computer in the garage while I'm out there tinkering, and it's usually set to crzforum.com while the iPod is playing tunes. The COTM winners pics lured me to this site again and again before I got brave enough to actually post something, so I feel/felt it was a good avenue to promote the forum, and that's how you get new blood infused into these pages. I didn't think my car was worthy of COTM, but I just started entering with the big guys just to fill up the lineup--eventually, it was rewarding to find out that people voted for my car because they really liked something about it (Like @CRyoZ's plasti-dipped CR-Z, each one has their owner's touch, and COTM is a good vehicle to say "Nice job, man," no matter how many others actually place a vote.)

I also have a 1st Gen Insight and go over to insightcentral.net, and I'm amazed that it's a busier forum than this one even noting that the 1st Gen didn't have much more of a production run/lifespan than the CR-Z. They have a core group that is totally devoted to the Insight, and the way I figure it, the CR-Z (forum) will be even more valuable as time goes on, just for the fact that people will see that the car has been discontinued before most of them realized it was even in production (with used ones becoming available for a good price.) On the otherhand, insightcentral.net does not have a COTM contest that I'm aware of, but that hasn't abated membership one iota.

·
Volunteer Admin
2011 CRZ EX, and 2011 CRZ Mugen 060/300
6,184 Posts
Yeah, there are a lot of people giving up on the forum because they couldn't figure out how to log in.

This happened to my boyfriend, and he had a hell of a time trying to log back on after a hiatus. It seemed that because he didn't change his password, or whatever the email said to do, within a certain time period that it locked him out. It took some work but he has his account back. I don't think most people would go thru that hassle.

·
Premium Member
6,288 Posts
This happened to my boyfriend, and he had a hell of a time trying to log back on after a hiatus. It seemed that because he didn't change his password, or whatever the email said to do, within a certain time period that it locked him out. It took some work but he has his account back. I don't think most people would go thru that hassle.
Curious thing, though, is that we have six more "Yes" votes on this poll than the total of votes for December's COTM, but it's been mostly around 20 total votes and something like three entries per month--ghee-whiz!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I don't think that the everything has been done/nothing new concept has much to do with it. Honda-Tech is in the same state, still around but significantly decreased participation.

Honda-Tech was the largest Honda forum on the internet and even though just about everything had been done dozens of times over more than a decade (H-swaps, J-swaps, Honda engines in other vehicles, twin engines, mid engine RWD conversion, true mechanical AWD, front clip swaps, re-sleeved engines, frankenstein engine builds, stitch-welded unibodies, 600hp daily drivers) and half the vehicles were actually older than the owners were, it was still lively with an abundance of new content in every sub forum every day. The slow decline of internet forums, all internet forums not just CR-Zforum, has to do with the changing of the internet and increase and takeover of 'social'-media.

Even if nothing new was done modification wise (and we've only barely begun to see what can be done with the CR-Z as the most extensive vehicle modding is always done with less expensive used models and not on brand new purchased vehicles like the CR-Z) the place is still useful for the continued sharing of new information regarding longevity, problems, increasing maintenance, repairs and so on. But the CR-Z modding has only just begun.

Look at one of the most modified vehicles ever, 1992-2001 Honda Civic. They weren't extensively modded when new and only really hit their peak after discontinuation (like 10 years after discontinuation). Its the case with many vehicles. It only makes sense to go wild after the warranties are up and the vehicle isn't worth as much. Smart people aren't going to extensively or irreversibly modify leased or financed vehicles either.

A significant number of former CR-Z owners also purchased this car right before making a family so we will see new younger owners as the prices drop after selling and older prospective owners post sending kids to college and looking for a smaller more fun automobile.

Another worth mentioning is we could see a significant increase in CR-Z desirability with an increase in oil and gasoline prices, which on a long enough timeline is inevitable.

·
Premium Member
6,288 Posts
Maybe I stead of monthly you should do it quarterly and yearly. I think that way there would be a build up to the event.
I put my car up for COTM, and accidentally win sometimes--but I'm just trying to get more (different) people to post up--needing a variety of CR-Zs in the mix. There's great ones out there, and I'd like to see COTM continue because I'd like to see them promoted, but the only votes that count are not in this poll--they're voting "yes" by posting your pics when the contest gets started for the month.:wink2:

I was going to say, you also get a "Winner" icon for your signature, but for some reason, mine disappeared recently.>:)

·
Registered
221 Posts
i know i'm stil new to the forum but for what it's worth i like checking out the COTM. it's a great way for me to get a goood visual on what certain parts look like, and what they are. it's kinda difficult to look up parts and get a good reference to what it will look like in a real world application. lowing springs and body kit parts mostly come to mind. and of course its always nice to admire anothers hard work they've put into their ride. it's not alwasy easy to do the work yourself, but it usually takes time. alot of personality can be seen in the way people like to mod their car. anyhoo....just my $.02 :grin2:

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.