Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Should I treat or replace this fuel filler pipe?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DC2TypeR 
#1 ·
Hello all,
Recently bought my first CRZ and have started some work to ‘spruce’ it up a little. Being in the UK and dealing with salted roads in winter I’m considering having the underbody cleaned, treated and protected. I was having a poke around this morning and noticed quite a big rust patch on what I think is the fuel filler pipe.
Would it be best to replace this pipe or would I get away with treating and sealing. I’ve hopefully attached a photo!
Thank you.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks again. Will do.

I think the inside could be ok as it’s more than likely rusting on the outside due to not being washed underneath in the winter. A lot of salt used on our roads then.
It will be getting serviced and checked out by a good mechanic. I’ll probably have the underside treated also and then ensure I wash it regularly.

#6 ·
The insides of pipes and hoses are usually minty looking regardless of their exterior condition so long as the fluids were maintained. I agree that the exterior corrosion is a concern here and I'd replace that pipe part. Maybe pick up the corresponding hose clamp on the right side of the photo, that thing may just crumble when you go to remove the pipe.

#7 ·
I’d brush it first and reinspect then decide if treating or replacement is best.

My CR-Z is my daily and given that the only thing to give me a big bill on my older Honda Integra to date has been sorting rust it was my biggest concern (beyond the usual Hybrid battery longevity question it seems everyone asks before reading up on here). I ordered some Bilthamber UB protection and finally got round to getting under there as the weather improved. The CR-Z must have had better protection from new as I was pleasantly surprised to only see a bit of surface corrosion here and there that brushed off. The splash guarding is better too. The underbody protection is supposed to be self healing if chipped but I still plan to check it now and then and add more if needed. Hosing down is a good idea too but difficult when really cold and icey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.