Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just installed our new Skunk2 Short Shifter Kit for the Honda CRZ!

Install time takes about 30 mins...

20 Mins taking the center console out if this is your first time... took us about 10mins.

Once you take the center console apart its cake from there. Just replace the bolts with the supplied bolts and risers and screw on the adaptor and put everything back together.

and your finished.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Funny how they bashed the car and talked so much trash about the cr-z, now they are making parts. I won't be putting anything with the name skunk2 on my car!!!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm sorry, but apparently I'm too stupid to understand.
What exactly is the reason for this modification?
Does this need one whose arms in proportion to the legs are too short, so that he cannot move forward the shifter far enough?
Or should it increase the force required for shifting by 25% in order to save the gym?
Or does it help the transmission for better teeth-brushing?
Or what else?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Does this need one whose arms in proportion to the legs are too short, so that he cannot move forward the shifter far enough?
Or should it increase the force required for shifting by 25% in order to save the gym?
Or what else?
Seriously?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Or what else?
Short shifters are generally installed to reduce the length/travel of the the throws required for each gear, the height of the knob, and improve shift feel (usually via new shifter bushings...a well-engineered unit in the right hands will make shifting more enjoyable

·
Registered
175 Posts
Short shifters are generally installed to reduce the length/travel of the the throws required for each gear, the height of the knob, and improve shift feel (usually via new shifter bushings...a well-engineered unit in the right hands will make shifting more enjoyable
I really do not believe this part to be a challenge for Honda engineers. It should be well-engineered as it is. :rolleyes:
Once you are used to it, shifting should be an automated procedure. This means, that you even don't recognize it. So there is nothing enjoyable with it. It's just there, because it is a technical necessity.
So why do I have the 6MT? Because the CVT was not available in Europe.
May be I'm in the wrong thread here.
Sorry for my English, if something sounds a bit strange.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I really do not believe this part to be a challenge for Honda engineers. It should be well-engineered as it is. :rolleyes:
Once you are used to it, shifting should be an automated procedure. This means, that you even don't recognize it. So there is nothing enjoyable with it. It's just there, because it is a technical necessity.
So why do I have the 6MT? Because the CVT was not available in Europe.
May be I'm in the wrong thread here.
Sorry for my English, if something sounds a bit strange.
Honda engineers are not always allowed to implement what is best for performance. (See stock tires and motor, :rolleyes:)

Obviously, Honda does know how to make a great shifter as the s2000 stick I drove was as smooth as butter.

On many cars, the stock throws ARE longer and more awkward than they need to be. I never said the CRZ's throws are bad (they seem fine to me) but the guy asked what short shifters do...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
ordered mine and just installed it. I just hope I never have to take out the centre console again. feel of the shifter is awesome. throws are noticeably shorter. 4th makes a weird clicking noise. had the radio off so maybe its always been there.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.