Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I am contemplating leaving the islands soon but I still owe on my car so will have to ship it.

I am curious if you think shipping the car will harm it. It will sit for about a month, and the trip to the new possible state is driving from California to Kentucky or Tennessee.

Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated. Or any warnings! I will more than likely pack jumper cables in my suitcase for a possible dead battery.

Btw, so glad there was a thread about the awful whistling noise. I get that going 50 in Hawaii, our highest speed is 60, so it makes sense that its the wind!

Thanks,

Grey

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Forget the Jumper cables get your self one of those little tiny LI-ION jump starter packs so you don't need another car. Prior to shipping and having it sit have your under hood battery load tested to make sure it can sit a month and not fail. Try to have the IMA battery as fully charged as possible before shipping. I believe there is a certain orange surrounded fuse you can take out which is how the car was shipped from Japan others here can help with that.

As for driving it cross country. Don't worry about that The Speed Bump was bought in VA I moved to TX then I moved to NY and am now back in VA and I drove it to move it.

Good Luck with the move!:smile2:

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I'd have little reservation about shipping. After all, they all had to get to the mainland from Japan in the first place. It may spell the end of your 12V battery, but your IMA battery won't mind the rest.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
I just realized that @Hellionz used to live in Hawaii, and now is in Florida with his CR-Z. I haven't seen him on the forum for a while, but his made it back to the mainland okay.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
The move depleted the memory battery in his computer.
That may be the reason they remove the "BACKUP" fuse for the journey--before shipping them to the dealerships.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
what would the memory battery affect?
As far as I know, you have to enter your pass code for the stereo/navi on some models, and some ECU functions reset themselves to the "new" climate/driving conditions. I had no problems shipping mine from the West coast to Ohio--even the 12v battery still had power.

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Just pull the Backup fuse ship it with a company with a good reputation and make sure you have the code for your radio in case the Under hood battery fails. Let us know how you make out. CR-Zs do not know how to swim so shipping is your only option. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Just pull the Backup fuse ship it with a company with a good reputation and make sure you have the code for your radio in case the Under hood battery fails. Let us know how you make out. CR-Zs do not know how to swim so shipping is your only option. :smile2:
I haven't tried to start or drive it with the BACKUP fuse pulled, so remember that the transporter needs to drive it on/off the transporter. Could be, it just shuts down certain power, but can still be driven. Should test that aspect out first. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
I haven't tried to start or drive it with the BACKUP fuse pulled, so remember that the transporter needs to drive it on/off the transporter. Could be, it just shuts down certain power, but can still be driven. Should test that aspect out first. :)
When a CR-Z is shipped from Japan is the Backup fuse in or out? Cars have to be drivable to put them on and off the ship and on and off the transporters. I would also consider turning off the IMA battery but not sure if the car is drivable that way either. This advice to test all the possibilities makes a lot of sense. :smile2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any good shipping companies? I've seen some but it seems like there are too many options. The two most popular I've heard of were A1A and Uship. I am not really a fan of UShip since they seem to be a little too expensive for my taste. I have been thinking about using A1A (I'll leave their info down below) since they seem to have good reviews as well as some acceptable prices. I contacted them a few weeks ago after I got my free online quote and they were very helpful and supportive. They also have the option of both closed and open deck shipment which I find really helpful.

____
You can check them here: a1autotransport.com

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Isn't Hawaii paradise? Everyone wants to move there. Pm me tell me why it isn't so great.
You ever been there? Not what I would call paradise. Locals hate everyone, food is expensive, people are racist AF. I only visited because a friend was living in Maui, but that is NOT what I call paradise. There are MUCH MUCH nicer places in the world. ;)

As i like to say.. it would be nice without the people! And the high costs...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have never been there, didn't know about any of those items you listed. So where is a good place with lhd? Don't think i could ever adjust to rhd cars. Sorry for thread hijacking … sell the crz and get a 500C Abarth if you go to Cali.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am always checking the local truck companies from the state where my car is at the moment. This is the fastest method in my opinion, but I think that it is not the safest, because you can face some adventures with them. Personally I know many brokers that are doing this job and they said that they can make a top of the shipping companies. Many of them said that Shipaa is the best one. Because they have new trucks, they never had problems with clients, the prices are good and they also can give you a gps link so you can watch where is your car at the moment.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
430 Posts
As many have said, I would suggest removing the Backup fuse, as well as disconnecting the 12v battery to prevent it from discharging. When you arrive simply reconnect the 12v battery and backup fuse. Not sure if removing the backup fuse can cause issues with IMA system, though. if your car is 2013 and newer, the lithium battery should be perfectly able to handle sitting for one month. If your car is 2012 or older, the Ni-MH battery may or may not give you issues, so in that case try to recharge the IMA battery as much as possible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts