Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any issues with the manual transmission? I have about 1800 miles on my EX and I have had a few times where from a stop the car didnt wanna go into first. I have also had issues with putting it in reverse. When I first got the car, the shifting was effortless, but I feel the shift much more recently. Oh, and the clutch seems to engage very high...I am considering bringing the car in, but not sure as of yet...

·
Registered
666 Posts
It is normal to have to try a bit to get into first sometimes, and especially into reverse when at a stop. It even mentions it in the owner's manual I believe. It is the nature of most manual transmissions. Best thing to do is try shifting into second and then back into first and it should go in. If it will not go in reverse, try putting it into first and then back to reverse.

Part of the shifting feeling a bit notchier can be that when you get more comfortable driving the car, you shift faster, and also work the clutch pedal faster which results in sometimes not having it fully disengaged throughout the whole shift. Try slowing it down and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Also if you dont want to go into second and first a quick pump on the clutch usually realigns everything for me. Its just a natural thing for manuals.

a little off topic but i love my 6 speed. Its so great. probably one of the best transmissions ive driven.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
a few things could be the problem... we'll eliminate them as we go...

• not pushing the clutch pedal all the way down.
  • CMC (Clutch Master Cylinder) is bad... you might hear a clicking when pressing the pedal down, if this is the case.
  • the +'06 Si had a terrible issue with 2nd gear... a DIY fix was discovered that the pedal needed to be adjusted a tad to fully engage the clutch.
  • syncros are bad.
  • throw bearing needs to be replaced.
  • loose shifting cables.
  • low clutch fluid

that's all i can think of off the top of my head... try to eliminate these things one by one if you can... ie: push the pedal all the way down... check for clicking sound/feel when pressing it... check the fluid... anything else and for sure the dealer needs to check it out... if the CMC is bad, it should be warrantied (my Si CMC was)... all of this actually should be covered...

let us know how it goes :wavey:

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
It is normal to have to try a bit to get into first sometimes, and especially into reverse when at a stop. It even mentions it in the owner's manual I believe. It is the nature of most manual transmissions. Best thing to do is try shifting into second and then back into first and it should go in. If it will not go in reverse, try putting it into first and then back to reverse.
older Honda's i've driven needed to do this... when it didn't go into reverse, i would put it in another gear first, then it would go in "R" smooth... same thing with 1st gear...
Also if you dont want to go into second and first a quick pump on the clutch usually realigns everything for me. Its just a natural thing for manuals.

a little off topic but i love my 6 speed. Its so great. probably one of the best transmissions ive driven.
i've done this a few times too... kinda pumping the clutch and trying again usually works...

this also might happen if you're slowing down and don't row the gears down...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so it not going into first is common? when it didnt go into gear, I threw it into neutral and tried again. One time it took 3 tries. Ive driven manual cars most of my life and this was odd to me to have this issue. Its actually pretty random. I have made sure to full depress the clutch and it still happens. I almost pushed it through the floor, lol

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
loose cables or bad bushings might be the cause of that... if it really is random, you should record a video of this happening so that you have proof when you take it to the dealer... otherwise they'll just tell you they can't duplicate the issue and send you on your frustrated way...

·
Registered
522 Posts
so it not going into first is common? when it didnt go into gear, I threw it into neutral and tried again. One time it took 3 tries. Ive driven manual cars most of my life and this was odd to me to have this issue. Its actually pretty random. I have made sure to full depress the clutch and it still happens. I almost pushed it through the floor, lol

the last 2 manuals i've driven i would occasionally not be able to get into first, so go second then back to first and you're set. it does mention this in the manual of the crz, and of the manual of my previous two cars - in fact, they even stated it was a safety feature that i could not engage 1st gear above ___MPH to prevent from dropping the tranny. even then when stopped and at 0 mph sometimes i couldnt get into first, and i just figured it had something to do with this safety net..... as i sometimes dont row down through the gears.

i drove my last car to 275,000 miles and it acted this way with first gear the whole time and it never was a problem - just something i had to know how to handle.

you're probably fine - my crz is doing the same thing and im not phased one bit.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
^ yep its the first gear lockout. You can even test this by being in 2nd and slowing down. try to shift into first - if it doesnt let you gently hold the shifter up against the gear while your foot is still on the clutch all the way. after you slow down enough it slips right in to 1st. (i dont know if i explained that well)

as for reverse that happens to me occasionally too. i usually just do as others here have said and put it in neutral and try again or pump the clutch.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
^ yep its the first gear lockout. You can even test this by being in 2nd and slowing down. try to shift into first - if it doesnt let you gently hold the shifter up against the gear while your foot is still on the clutch all the way. after you slow down enough it slips right in to 1st. (i dont know if i explained that well)

as for reverse that happens to me occasionally too. i usually just do as others here have said and put it in neutral and try again or pump the clutch.
Yea... but the first gear lockout is pretty normal. I assumed the OP was having trouble shifting into first while sitting still. It can be done while moving, but only at fairly low speeds.. I do it when I am entering my parking garage everyday, but only from 2nd gear and already moving very slow. I guess it didn't occur to me that the OP might be moving, or trying to shift to 1st without hitting 2nd first.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Temperature is also a factor.

I've had a few issues getting into reverse but a clutch pump plus engaging first again usually helps.

Don't try to go into reverse at all when moving even slightly, I got a nasty grind noise while rolling back at maybe 1mph trying to engage reverse...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay, then i am not alone with 1st gear issues where it will not go into gear...i dont know whether to be relieved or angry, lol...Also, does anyone else feel the clutch engages kind of high off the floor?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.