Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
You
Just wondering, are you running top intercooler? Coz the other way round compressor will give you more spaces for the intake and routing to frontal intercooler.

It's just a piece of my opinion, no offences..
No offense taken, because I agree. It’s really not difficult to run the intercooler piping in this configuration, but the intake piping and MAF design/placement is something I’m very not happy with

so below is a pictureI came across, which is how I’ll be routing the piping. And that works with how it sits now, but I’m also planning on modifying the flange so I can flip the turbo 180 degrees, which will fix the concern of that intake placement.
I reclocked the compressor housing to see if it will work this way and it should perfectly. I still need to reclock the center cartridge 180 degrees to get the drain port in the right orientation.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Personally, I would use different turbo, maybe a Subaru one, since I don't trust eBay Twisty Boiz, they like to blow quick.
Definitely wanna see end result, and if turbo holds up!
Yeah, I’ve been feeling all kinds of up and down on this eBay turbo as well, I’ve never used one, and it’s always mixed reviews, so I’m feeling it’s a 50/50 chance. I feel like I’ve done too much R&D on this to back out now. But I’ve been eye’ing some Precision models I’ll likely choose to upgrade too in the future.
ive been trying to think of some additional countermeasures to install to the charge piping in case it all turns to shrapnel.
And I’ve also planning carefully to retain all stock components so that it can be quickly reverted to stock if it goes south as well.

I hear you man, honestly the turbo is the sketchiest component in the build, I’m hoping that using a blow off valve and minimizing compressor surge will maximize the life of this unit, until I can get a hold of a precision unit and redesign the system to make it fit.

Yeah, I’ve been feeling all kinds of up and down on this eBay turbo as well, I’ve never used one, and it’s always mixed reviews, so I’m feeling it’s a 50/50 chance. I feel like I’ve done too much R&D on this to back out now. But I’ve been eye’ing some Precision models I’ll likely choose to upgrade too in the future.
ive been trying to think of some additional countermeasures to install to the charge piping in case it all turns to shrapnel.
And I’ve also planning carefully to retain all stock components so that it can be quickly reverted to stock if it goes south as well.

I hear you man, honestly the turbo is the sketchiest component in the build, I’m hoping that using a blow off valve and minimizing compressor surge will maximize the life of this unit, until I can get a hold of a precision unit and redesign the system to make it fit.
Well, at least you planning on upgrading. Precision turbos seem to be really good, I got a friend with one of these turbos on EP3 running 600+HP.
Always worth a try,if it blows it blows, just make sure it won't damage anything on its way ?

Discussion starter · #26 ·
On a low boost setup, shitty turbo wouldn't blow up that soon. They'll just give you lower power/torque compared to a well known one.
That’s kinda what I was hoping, it’s described as “capable up to 20psi”, which it may be, for one pull.. lol

but I was thinking since I’d be far below the threshold at 5-8 pounds, it would have a higher chance at longevity.

There is alot of theorizing in this thread. And thats fine..

But when is there going to be more pics and work.

Sent from Samsung S10+

Reactions: CRZ_Shift
Discussion starter · #29 ·
8 psi should be just fine, and healthy for your internals.

I'm doing 10psi Garrett GT25 currently on stock internal. Praying really hard every pull.. ??
lol I’m hoping so man! Really wanting 200-210hp so fingers crossed. Have you been on they dyno? What are you making?

There is alot of theorizing in this thread. And thats fine..

But when is there going to be more pics and work.

Sent from Samsung S10+
Lol measure twice, or 3 times, cut once my friend.
But I have been slacking a bit. I haven’t been able to source a reliable welder.
I’m going to the machine shop this week to get the downpipe flange made up, and then I’ll be cutting and mocking the intercooler piping and some of the exhaust here very soon. I work in a auto repair shop 10-11 hours a day, and I kinda love my bed, been hard to get motivated to go rack the car in the shop to get things done. But I think you sent the kick in the ass I need.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Update :

Dropped my turbo off with a local machine shop yesterday to get the downpipe flange made, super nice guy, said he’d be able to make it up really nice with a perfect match. Should be done by the end of next week.

also spent some time slotting the holes out in the main flange so I can flip the turbo around and have it fit how I like. With good fasteners the bigger diameter shouldn’t give me a problem but once I get with my welder I’m going to see if he can fill the unneeded space with weld.
Pictures will come as soon as I get the finished flange!

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Hey guys, another quick update.
I assume the flange is making progress, haven’t received an update call from him though.

but I did order some coilovers, just some Godspeeds, their quality has improved a lot over the the years so I think they’ll work well.

Also received some customer center caps for the buddy clubs, kind of a long story, but I meant to order blank caps, but the seller sent me some with the “RAYS” logo. I talked with him through email and found out he could make any design I want. So he’s already made and sent out some black, smooth finish caps with a white Honda logo. Should be getting them soon, but I have some pics of what I got and the things he can make. I assume he 3D printing them. Really nice guy and they’re good quality.

Let me know if I shouldnt advertise, but I think he deserves some business.

Attachments

Hello, let me posted from Japan.

Probably the same turbo I installed.
I purchased this on ebay and temporarily attached it to the engine and the angle was still different.
I added a bolt hole to the flange and turned it 180 degrees to optimize the intake direction.
The down pipe was made at home and attached to the car as it was.
No intercooler is installed.
The description of the wastegate actuator is 5 psi, but the display on HONDATA is 10 psi, so it seems that the boost is actually large.
Since the downpipe is as thin as Φ50, there are occasional cases where the exhaust temperature exceeds 900 ° C, so if I can make time, I will try to make it again.

I ran about 1500km now.

This turbine was written as TD04. Is it OK to purchase a rebuild kit from TD04?
I feel the turbine core is similar to garrett's T25.

Good job homie.
We are literally in the same stage. Mine is mounted also.

Sent from Samsung S10+

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Very
Hello, let me posted from Japan.

Probably the same turbo I installed.
I purchased this on ebay and temporarily attached it to the engine and the angle was still different.
I added a bolt hole to the flange and turned it 180 degrees to optimize the intake direction.
The down pipe was made at home and attached to the car as it was.
No intercooler is installed.
The description of the wastegate actuator is 5 psi, but the display on HONDATA is 10 psi, so it seems that the boost is actually large.
Since the downpipe is as thin as Φ50, there are occasional cases where the exhaust temperature exceeds 900 ° C, so if I can make time, I will try to make it again.

I ran about 1500km now.

This turbine was written as TD04. Is it OK to purchase a rebuild kit from TD04?
I feel the turbine core is similar to garrett's T25.

View attachment 60664 View attachment 60666 View attachment 60667 View attachment 60668
Pretty nice setup man, interesting that you retained many of the stock components, make it looks very sleeper-like.
As far as TD04 rebuild kits, I’m unsure, best bet would to buy the cheapest kit you can find just so you can reference it. I know a TD04 downpipe flange doesn’t work, so everything is certainly odd.
You should be able to adjust the arm at the wastegate actuator to change the boost level, I tested adjustments using a vacuum/pressure pump and was able to adjust the arm and modify the pressure required to completely open the wastegate.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Have some updates of my own, received the finished flange, very happy with it. Pictures attached, also received my coilovers yesterday. Hopefully will make it to the shop Friday morning to get those fitted and hopefully make some progress on cutting and mocking these pipes and components.

Attachments

The flanges in itself end up being so tricky in the end that's what I found out.. as nothing aligns up.
And we have to make it work.

Sent from Samsung S10+

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Been a while but I have a couple updates.

got the coilovers installed, super happy with them, honestly surprised at the quality considering the low cost, dampers are dialed to about 6 out of 16 and it rides just like stock.

spent some time yesterday working on it to, got the intercooler mounted, and the top support frame removed and notched so I can sent a pipe through.
Removed the grille and hit the bumper beam with some flat paint, digging the look, the rubber/plastic air diverter is something I wanted to keep but the intercooler pushes against it, so will likely remove.
Progress! Slowly but surely! More updates soon!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.