Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Shawnfrontier's Build Thread

38K views 196 replies 31 participants last post by  shawnfrontier 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured I'd start my build thread for my Manual 13 PMM EX. This is more than likely be a slow build since I have a few other "Toys" I'm working on too.

Things done so far:
ZXE Highbeam
Luxeon LED Fog Lamps
V-LED 5K 370 lumen LED reverse bulb
V-LED 5K Switchback front LED turn signals
V-LED rear amber LED turn signals
License plate LEDs
20% Window tint on the back windows and the top few inches on the windshield.
35% Window tint on the front two windows.
Honda's rear diffuser accessory
Stock Wheels with 195/55 16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 Winter Set
K&N SRI
17" Kosei K1 TS Light Grey with Continental Extreme Contact DW 205/45 17 Summer Set
Rando Spoiler
T1R Downpipe
BLF Cat-Back Exhaust

Stuff in progress:
Every light on the car LED.
Audio upgrades (maybe)

Feel free to make suggestions for my car.

The Other Toys:
1988 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 package (turn into K.I.T.T from Knight Rider)
[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Shawn_Canning/media/2012-10-01_17-20-58_194_zps1bc42897.jpg.html][/URL]

2011 Harley Davidson V-Rod Muscle

2013 Honda NC700X
2011 Yamaha Zuma 125

2005 Yamaha Raptor 350

2008 RC 6x12 Cargo Trailer (yes I consider it a toy)

2015 Polaris Ace SP

2012 Mitsubishi i-Miev SE

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 WT

See less See more
#9 ·
Liking the K1 TS a lot, but that's just my opinion. I see that these are closeout specials. Consider buying a 5th one, as if you ever need to replace a wheel, you might not be able to find a match If you have the room, and the funds, having 5 beats having only 3!

#20 ·
Looks amazing, do you have the part numbers for the lights that you used? I'm trying to look them up but there are so many, I just want to make sure they are the right ones. Are they plug-and-play or did you have to do any modifications?

#21 ·
Thanks. Your going to want the 7443/7440 for the base adapter not the 7443CK. I went with the 5k to match the HID's on the car. They are plug-n-play, the hardest part is getting the screws in the right holes on the bulb so that they lock into place on the headlight. If you look at the picture, you will see a phillps screw right beneath the lens, that's what I'm talking about. If still confused or have more questions feel free to ask.

Here's the link for them.
VLEDS

#22 ·
Thanks, do you have to use the control boxes or can you just get the bulbs and replace the stock ones with them? I noticed the control boxes and it makes the whole setup seem a little complicated.

#23 ·

You have to use the control boxes. It's about as easy as you can get hooking these lights up. If you look at the picture, the big connector from the lights go to the big connector on the control box. Then the adaptor plugs into the medium size connector on the control box. The small connector is the optional dimming feature, which if used when your lights are on it will dim the park light, but keep the turn signal at its normal light output.

Side note: on the big connector on control box is where the fuse goes into to prevent hyper flashing.
I know it looks confusing, but its not.

#24 ·
So no splicing of any wires and The turn signal lights connect to the control boxes as well? I I was thinking I would need a second set of boxes for the turn signals too, but if they all connect to the same box it's not so bad like you said.

One more question if I may; where did you mount your control boxes? I've seen other installs where people were able to drill them to the frame under the front bumper, but those were on other cars.

Thanks for all the help, they look great and make the car stand out at night!

#25 ·
In the picture below circled in orange is where I mounted the control boxes. The one by the battery is temporary until I can find a better spot for it when it warms up outside. The only splicing would be if you hooked up the optional dimming wire which I didn't and the control box hooks between the LED's and the cars plug wire where the incandescent bulb plug in.

#32 ·
Looks great and a color coordinated dog.. :thumbsup:

#34 ·
Thanks. So far happy with them. Tested them out a little today around some twisty roads and did better than I though they would. Didn't want to go to hard with them until it gets warmer out and the tires are broken in. My dog was running around outside when I was taking the photos, so I figured I would get him in one of the pictures with the CR-Z. He loves going for rides in the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.