Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The sharkfin doesn't think too kindly of you either. :tong:

I think it only comes on models that include satellite capable radios.

I think it looks like anything else that has satellite capable radios, and is better than some traditional breakable/bendable antenna.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The problem w/ the shark fin antenna is it kills cornering.

The antenna acts like a fixed rudder, in the top center of the roof.

The air flow over this rudder makes the top of the vehicle want to go straight, while the rest of the vehicle is trying to turn underneath.

The shark fin antenna induces severe body roll because of the rudder effect.

That's why they are always bolted to structural members, so they don't rip off.

Performance vehicles, like the Corvette, hide the antenna within the exterior rear view mirror for this reason.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Kills cornering?

Wait your talking about the CR-Z right?.... Not the GT-R or something :D

Shark fin looks better than the stub by car gets. And to confirm what was said above the stub/fin functions as the radio antenna as well for the Honda hybrids. Reception is pretty poor if I unscrew my stub.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Kills cornering?

Wait your talking about the CR-Z right?.... Not the GT-R or something :D

Shark fin looks better than the stub by car gets. And to confirm what was said above the stub/fin functions as the radio antenna as well for the Honda hybrids. Reception is pretty poor if I unscrew my stub.
I thought it was ONLY on models with Navi like the Civics have... but Acuras have the fin even on non-navi models and I think that's where i read it functions as the AM/FM antenna...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I thought it was ONLY on models with Navi like the Civics have... but Acuras have the fin even on non-navi models and I think that's where i read it functions as the AM/FM antenna...
Hmmm my hybrid doesn't have the navigation but has the stub. As far as I knew all civic hybrids use the stub including Canadian model civics. It specifically mentions in the owners manual that the stub acts as a radio antenna. There is a very obvious reduction of radio quality with stub detached.

When I say "stub" I mean the little black antenna stub. Non-hybrids get the little colored block for XM-Sat radio reception.

From the parts catalog:
Non-hybrid civic XM antenna
College Hills Honda Parts

Hybrid antenna
College Hills Honda Parts

·
Registered
349 Posts

The air flow over this rudder makes the top of the vehicle want to go straight, while the rest of the vehicle is trying to turn underneath.

Performance vehicles, like the Corvette, hide the antenna within the exterior rear view mirror for this reason.

:unsure:

U serious??

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
part "6" is what is visible on the roof and i had on my '06 Si w/navi...

this is what i was referring to... never really seen a civic, hybrid or non, with that stub antenna you're referring to... non-navi models don't have that part on their roof... it's just flat...

interesting...
Never seen the part 6 on civics?

I thought it was only factory on Nav models so I can imagine not many people choose factory Nav on the base civics. Hybrids all have the black stub regardless. I kind of dislike it and would prefer the body colored stub from your Si.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nothing like a good shark fin debate.
I must say I was easily converted because I often attach surfboards to my roof and now I no longer have to unscrew mine and listen to fuzzy radio all the way to the beach.
Also, when I looked into it more, I realised a few more benefits. Basically, changing to this arial helps in reducing drag, which means better mileage.

When I did change though I realised that the reception wasnt as good as the OEM whip:blushing:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

:rolleyes: You're kidding, right? Right? If you are serious, you need to educate yourself in the matter a bit more.

Personnaly, I like the fin.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.