Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
We've known how to fix this since 2011. This is just a new lazy method.
I hate the lazy method on stuff like that, but since it's a time consuming procedure to do it right, I confess in doing such things on occasion--but with the idea that I'll order the correct part and repair/replace it like new eventually. ...and that's coming from a guy who doesn't put panels/parts back on using the "wrong" clips--I've been going nuts lately, after realizing that the previous owner of my 6-Speed (and/or a service tech) used 91506-S9A-003 bumper clips instead of the 91503-SZ3-003 bumper clips to secure the air intake snorkel assembly to its bracket--and even more troubling, missing a clip in each side of the front fender liners, probably because the standard bumper clip would not fit in that hole because the proper clips--the 91545-SE0-003--are smaller than the rest. UGH! <rant over> ...I feel better now.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
Yeah that post was a bit harsh. If this works then its a decent solution because the antenna is certainly overpriced and pulling the headliner is a bit of work. Can make this an OEM fix by using Honda Bond next time. :p...
Haha! Forgot about my good old tube of HondaBond...

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
....I've been going nuts lately, after realizing that the previous owner of my 6-Speed (and/or a service tech) used 91506-S9A-003 bumper clips instead of the ......
I was like this forever, but I suppose I'm getting a little over it. However, when I popped the hood on the new one to see if they'd replaced the battery as promised and found the old, near-dead one..... eh, whatever. They corrected it, so I guess that's the most I could hope for. At least I pried it from their evil clutches before they could dunk the whole thing in silicone goo, like my first one had been.
On my Datsuns, I would fabricate all manner of interesting hardware to reach an existing bolt so I'd not have to make new holes in the car.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Just to let you all know.. my new 'lazy' method is still working! No issues whatsoever.

The real test will be when we start getting snow. But, so far so good (knock on wood)!!

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
The silicone shouldn't have any issues with the cold, especially after surviving heat. If you get it put on correctly, before it can skin over, silicone adhesive/seal is pretty amazing stuff.

And thanks for the update!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The silicone shouldn't have any issues with the cold, especially after surviving heat. If you get it put on correctly, before it can skin over, silicone adhesive/seal is pretty amazing stuff.

And thanks for the update!
Now that our harsh winter is officially over, just wanted to post that the shark fin is still attached to the roof!! No issues what so ever! Totally recommend this method!!

·
Registered
2011 CRZ EX 6MT
23 Posts
As other have suggested, HAND-WASH ONLY. Mine came loose after the previous owner put it through years of automated car-washing. I am going o re-attach mine with what other's have suggested which is JB (plastic) WELD. Make sure to sand the paint down a little to get solid adhesion. As long as your fin is intact, I don't see an issue with using this method as it cost me $9 versus $200+ replacing the entire antenna.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Now that our harsh winter is officially over, just wanted to post that the shark fin is still attached to the roof!! No issues what so ever! Totally recommend this method!!

How is it holding up after a few years. I figure the antenna on my new CRZ is going to give it up at some point. The paint on it is almost faded completely away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an extended warranty and have a few complaints about the radio on file. I think next time The Speed Bump visits a dealer I will add this to the list.

Thanks for the advice KY. I will leave it alone till it explodes or sees dealer which ever happens first.
the dealer charges ~$800😳 to just replace the cover it cost about $12 or less

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
I doubt that ,as all Honda's use same antenna. It is a molded part in the car's color and it is not just the cover you have to look at, it is the whole antenna. This whole thread is about a known issue where the cover comes off and how to repair it. If it was $12 as you say then it would be in this thread before your posting. Why would you join to put such BS in the forum. Show us a link where that cover is $12. The $800 is not the real price and is not just the cover it is the whole antenna and labor. The whole head liner needs to be lowered to access the nut and many other interior parts need to be removed to access the head liner to replace the whole antenna. Even at the highest priced Dealer shop rates I doubt it is $800. See below for the price for a whole replacement antenna if the color is still available. Price ranges from 211.74 to 275.00 for premium white pearl as that was the most expensive color for the CR-Zs. So not $800 just for the cover and not $12 either. You are either not aware of what Parts and labor actually cost or you are simply a scammer.
PS my original cover is still attached, the radio reception is still crap and always has been. I am the original owner. My Car is Crystal Black Pearl and the Honda Parts at Honda Parts Now | Genuine OEM Honda Auto Parts website lists mine as unavailable. Other sites have the right one for $258. These are molded in the right color OEM parts and you cannot buy just the cover you have to buy the whole antenna which is why I suggested the RTVR or other adhesive if the antenna came off and you were able to find it.

Postings like yours make us suspicious as we have been getting a lot of spam lately. Postings that make no sense, appear to have posters that did not read the postings they are replying to or are simply postings that have nothing useful in them. Especially when it is their first post like yours.

We appreciate new members and like them to make an introduction post telling us about them and their CR-Z. We love pictures too! Please Post an introductory thread and show us your car.

the dealer charges ~$800😳 to just replace the cover it cost about $12 or less

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
How is it holding up after a few years. I figure the antenna on my new CRZ is going to give it up at some point. The paint on it is almost faded completely away.
Its still holding up... but, in the junk yard now. I never had any issues with it coming loose after I re-attached it like that.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts