Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Good luck on the fix. I just noticed that the antenna assembly coming out of the car, looks like it clips in the metal piece attached up at the top of the fin/cover. Is that so? More parts to it than I thought...
Sort of, its more of just an electrical contact and the metal sheeting in the cover helps increase the surface area of the antenna.

From a performance standpoint of car radio antennas (AM/FM reception) it goes: tried and true [albeit ugly] whip, windshield integrated (or aftermarket) screen antenna and following up the rear is the fin style. The reason its so complicated looking in there is signal boosters and attempts to squeeze what should be a several foot-long antenna into an area the size of a soda can, the same reason it gets sub-par reception. The fin style is best left to satellite radio or GPS receivers, in that application they excel.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Sorry to thread jack a little bit but I was washing The Speed Bump by hand and noticed the rearward part of it's shark Fin is a little loose but it is tight at the front. Should I apply some black automotive silicone under it to re-adhere and protect it?:dunno:

I am also wondering if this looseness is why my radio reception has been getting steadily worse. Co channel interference and complete loss of FM ( A very strong local station) periodically etc.

Those of you that have had your fin lose its cover did you notice prior to that issues like I describe?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Yep. I just PM'd d1giPhux to do the pea-sized portion too.... But, on the subject of shark fins, yours is the greatest Defiant, and I hope it survived the crash.
It came out fine, but will go with the car. The body shop guy loved it.

I have fresh stickers for the new one.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I am also wondering if this looseness is why my radio reception has been getting steadily worse. Co channel interference and complete loss of FM ( A very strong local station) periodically etc.

Those of you that have had your fin lose its cover did you notice prior to that issues like I describe?
Not here, it just randomly popped off during a non-machine wash.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks that replacing this part is better than repairing with glue. I foresee future threads of: "previous owner Mickey Mouse'd the antenna, how to get this off my roof?" :huh:

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Not here, it just randomly popped off during a non-machine wash.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks that replacing this part is better than repairing with glue. I foresee future threads of: "previous owner Mickey Mouse'd the antenna, how to get this off my roof?" :huh:
I have an extended warranty and have a few complaints about the radio on file. I think next time The Speed Bump visits a dealer I will add this to the list.

Thanks for the advice KY. I will leave it alone till it explodes or sees dealer which ever happens first.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
My antenna still worked without the cover on and got wet several times. I wouldn't want to leave it like that but just some more info.

And as stated before at least one member said they were able to replace the antenna without removing the headliner. They undid the two clips towards the back, pulled the hatch/tailgate weather-seal off at the top and were able to slide their hands in-between the headliner and roof to undo the one nut and one electrical connector.

The radio reception with OEM antenna will always be sub par compared to other vehicles and antenna types. If you want some tips and options on other antennas and installing them let me know, I've used a variety of screen antennas, Metra makes a handy OEM Honda to Motorola-coax adapter and have gotten good results. On the CR-Z its pretty easy to improve reception over the OEM antenna.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
The issue I have is the bad reception is getting worse :frown2: I suspected the radio and reported it and the"dealer and Regional" representative did not hear the static but that dealer is the same one who sent me a letter saying CR-Zs are in demand and they would pay me $9 k for mine and did damage when they did other warranty work ( not the Air bag). I still suspect the radio but now the antenna may need replaced since cover is probably not fully attached. Thanks as always for the advice.:smile2:

My antenna still worked without the cover on and got wet several times. I wouldn't want to leave it like that but just some more info.

And as stated before at least one member said they were able to replace the antenna without removing the headliner. They undid the two clips towards the back, pulled the hatch/tailgate weather-seal off at the top and were able to slide their hands in-between the headliner and roof to undo the one nut and one electrical connector.

The radio reception with OEM antenna will always be sub par compared to other vehicles and antenna types. If you want some tips and options on other antennas and installing them let me know, I've used a variety of screen antennas, Metra makes a handy OEM Honda to Motorola-coax adapter and have gotten good results. On the CR-Z its pretty easy to improve reception over the OEM antenna.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
....I guess I'm the only one that thinks that replacing this part is better than repairing with glue. I foresee future threads of: "previous owner Mickey Mouse'd the antenna, how to get this off my roof?" :huh:
Then we can all have a good time explaining how a pneumatic sawzall works.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just wanted to update everyone.. antenna is still sticking to the roof after using the silicone adhesive!! Only a couple of days in, but so far so good!! Seems to be well stuck down too!

Now I will have to try the car wash and some more adverse weather!! :p

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
.... antenna is still sticking to the roof after using the silicone adhesive!!
It should be a permanent attachment. The only precaution with using silicone products for an adhesive is that the media "skins" fairly quickly, and that will interfere with permanence (but can make temporary attachments very convenient). If you attach it while "wet", you'll play hell cleaning it off.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It should be a permanent attachment. The only precaution with using silicone products for an adhesive is that the media "skins" fairly quickly, and that will interfere with permanence (but can make temporary attachments very convenient). If you attach it while "wet", you'll play hell cleaning it off.

I attached it while 'wet'. Hope this means it will never come off! Cause really, I don't even hardly use the antenna, but as long as the cover stays on.. i don't care!! :p

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
It looks like a dome light delete but good Idea!:smile2:
Adding a dome light here could give a more "OEM" look to an access panel for that nut.
Or the T-tops DIY write-up!>:)
Like this forgotten prototype/Concept.
I attached it while 'wet'. Hope this means it will never come off! Cause really, I don't even hardly use the antenna, but as long as the cover stays on.. i don't care!! :p
Does it still whistle in cross winds?

·
Red&Black
6,030 Posts
Every time I wash my car it is a fear of mine that it will randomly pop off :( Good to know it can withstand some wetness for a few days

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Every time I wash my car it is a fear of mine that it will randomly pop off :( Good to know it can withstand some wetness for a few days
If it ever does though.. now you know how to fix it!! Silicone Adhesive. $5 fix, and so far has worked great!! Hope it continues to work, but, only time will tell.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts