Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was waxing the car today and the shark fin finally had its day. I knew this would eventually happen.

Can someone give me some ideas on re-attaching it? 3m tape? Epoxy? What you all think? I need to do this asap since its going to rain and I need to drive the car!!

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Oh, that's not good--at least you still have all the parts. It's an expensive part to replace (around $175, but it's an OEM paint matched part#,) plus, you have to remove the interior headliner to successfully get to the bottom plate nut to replace the assembly. I'd just get some black windshield sealant or some black rubber glue/cement/sealant, and put it around the perimeter--let it set overnight, and go with that type of fix.

39150-SZT-G01ZA Antenna Assembly, Radio *BG57P* (Horizon Turquoise Pearl)

List price = $242.88 ----- Price = $171.96

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, that's not good--at least you still have all the parts. It's an expensive part to replace (around $175, but it's an OEM paint matched part#,) plus, you have to remove the interior headliner to successfully get to the bottom plate nut to replace the assembly. I'd just get some black windshield sealant or some black rubber glue/cement/sealant, and put it around the perimeter--let it set overnight, and go with that type of fix.

39150-SZT-G01ZA Antenna Assembly, Radio *BG57P* (Horizon Turquoise Pearl)

List price = $242.88 ----- Price = $171.96

Do you think the window sealant would work to hold it in high speed wind?

If so, is this the type you are talking about?:

https://www.permatex.com/products/a...ex-flowable-silicone-windshield-glass-sealer/

Also, anyone know if I can drive without the antenna plastic on during rain?

Need to get to auto place, but, its raining now.

Any reason to use this flowable silicone sealant as opposed to expoxy or something?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Welcome to the club, a few of us have had them randomly break off without much provocation. They break just like in your picture.

Long term you want to replace it with another one. At one point I had a roof antenna plug made from custom machined aluminum and stainless steel with hypalon rubber gaskets but have since returned to the stupid vulnerable fin.

Short term do what Spdbump suggested and just tape the cover on if rain is coming. I drove for about two weeks and even washed the car without the cover on, water can get in but you'd need to be pouring buckets for any significant amount to get in.

I personally wouldn't try to glue it back together, the glue may squish out onto the roof and then it'll just be a messy pain if it needs to be removed or replaced again.

Litz is right about removing and replacing if you have normal sized man hands the headliner will probably need to come down (at the very least the B/C-pillar covers). If you have tiny hands some have reported it can be replaced without pulling the headliner. Its a single 17mm or 19mm nut holding it on and a single electrical harness clip.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Hope someone gets a kick out of this. The first time mine broke I vowed that I would never pull the headliner (and by requirement/extension the whole rear interior) just to replace the antenna again and seeing how my headliner is downright filthy from 7 years of windows-down driving decided to make an access point because well, screw it.

While the headliner was out cut a hole, went to office depot and got a plastic cover notebook, cut the cover up, got the cheapest interior clips from Autozone and done. Can now replace an antenna in NASCAR pit-stop speed, don't have to pull all the rear panels to get the trim out breaking dozens of rainbow clips in the process or deal with the side curtain airbag pillar clips.

The cover:

This is what the antenna looks like from below, a special nut and one electrical plug:

If anyone can find me a nice grey plastic notebook cover to cut up that might match let me know. :D

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Nice, Koala.

I'd get JB Weld Plastic Weld, put a pea-sized daub on each broken original post, and leave a weight like a book on it for a day.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Nice, Koala.

I'd get JB Weld Plastic Weld, put a pea-sized daub on each broken original post, and leave a weight like a book on it for a day.
Yep. I just PM'd d1giPhux to do the pea-sized portion too.... But, on the subject of shark fins, yours is the greatest Defiant, and I hope it survived the crash.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If one goes the cheap route of gluing it back on those 5 screws will still be loose potentially vibrating against the roof of the car etching away the paint unless the base of the antenna is removed to pull the screws. Depending on the orientation of the remaining broken posts one might not get a full seal on the gasket. The gasket seals not only the base of the antenna to the roof but also forms the seal between the antenna cover and internal electronics.

I took apart my broken antenna to see if any improvement could be made to securing the cover but unfortunately based on the design and attachment methods and materials chosen for the cover the best options are either get a new replacement unit or make your own antenna delete plug/whip antenna mount and or use a screen antenna. Its going to be exposed to UV sunlight, high heat, freezing cold, crosswinds, hard rain, potential unwanted hand touching, car washing...

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
It looks like a dome light delete but good Idea!:smile2:
Hope someone gets a kick out of this. The first time mine broke I vowed that I would never pull the headliner (and by requirement/extension the whole rear interior) just to replace the antenna again and seeing how my headliner is downright filthy from 7 years of windows-down driving decided to make an access point because well, screw it.

While the headliner was out cut a hole, went to office depot and got a plastic cover notebook, cut the cover up, got the cheapest interior clips from Autozone and done. Can now replace an antenna in NASCAR pit-stop speed, don't have to pull all the rear panels to get the trim out breaking dozens of rainbow clips in the process or deal with the side curtain airbag pillar clips.

The cover:

This is what the antenna looks like from below, a special nut and one electrical plug:

If anyone can find me a nice grey plastic notebook cover to cut up that might match let me know. :D

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
...If anyone can find me a nice grey plastic notebook cover to cut up that might match let me know. :D
Any chance you still have the original piece you cut out of the headliner? A strip of velcro around the perimeter of the patch, and the loop side of the velcro facing down, around the opening's edges might work.... Or, you can take that silly warning label off the center seat-back, and stick it over your patch--might look more "OEM" and blend in with the warning labels on the sun visors too.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn, this blows.

I think I'm just going to 'permanently fix' mine with epoxy all around the base.

Screw it.

Either that, or silicone.

The guy at autozone sold me 3m plastic and trim adhesive, which he said would work better. Dunno:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03601-Plastic-Emblem-Adhesive/dp/B000CCM3J2

I think epoxy would honestly just work the best. Seal it shut, will never come off again with epoxy is my guess.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess the real question i should be asking is this:

Do I want a hard solid adhesive that will hold the fin on, or a rubbery semi flexible adhesive?

I would think epoxy might be best, just hold the thing in one place. But, i'm wondering if wind causes any movement of the fin, etc.

I almost think that 3m adhesive tape would work, but expoxy might also. Just wonder if it would actually hold it to the paint. Epoxy works for lots of stuff really, so not sure.

Edit:

After seeing this video:

I think I'm going to go with this tape:

http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-tough-and-clear-mounting-tape

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
I have not had that part off my car, so I'm just going by what I can see in the pics, and still hold to my original suggestion--NOT a hard drying epoxy--something more flexible, such as windshield sealant. I tell you, it really did a good job securing my rear wing, whereas as an epoxy may hold, but it will not flex--not good when working with different types of materials (plastic, rubber, metal.) Of course, Koala has more hands on experience with this particular item, so I'd value his recommendations over mine. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have not had that part off my car, so I'm just going by what I can see in the pics, and still hold to my original suggestion--NOT a hard drying epoxy--something more flexible, such as windshield sealant. I tell you, it really did a good job securing my rear wing, whereas as an epoxy may hold, but it will not flex--not good when working with different types of materials (plastic, rubber, metal.) Of course, Koala has more hands on experience with this particular item, so I'd value his recommendations over mine. :grin2:
Any pics on how your rear wing was installed? How long did it last with the windshield sealant? How sticky is the stuff? I'm assuming it wouldn't really have to hold much weight, just the vibration and wind / pressure.

i think I might still give the windshield adhesive a try. What stuff did you use?

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Any pics on how your rear wing was installed? How long did it last with the windshield sealant? How sticky is the stuff? I'm assuming it wouldn't really have to hold much weight, just the vibration and wind / pressure.

i think I might still give the windshield adhesive a try. What stuff did you use?
No pics of the install with the sealant, and it's sticky all right--I removed the clips that came with it, and it still held firmly, and I removed it to put it on my 6-Speed, and it took 2-3 days of delicate surgery! I used Dow U-428 Plus, but I definitely don't think you'll need anything that strong--any similar type of sealant will do, I think.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool. i think i will roll with something like that then.

So do you think I should only hit the 5 screw post areas? Since the posts themselves mostly broke off, all that is left is the screws. I'm wondering if I should sand the remaining cylinders down at all, or just leave them and goop some of the stuff over the mounting areas and hope for the best?

Or should I go around the entire base area where the fin sits and seal it completely?

Hope this works out!! What is the cure time on this stuff? Thats almost why I was thinking epoxy would be good. Sticks to anything and cure time isnt too bad!! I'm hoping whatever I use will sink into the screw holes / attach to screws as well.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ended up going with:

Hope this works.

I actually drove around with the fin just on by itself for a bit.. and it didn't seem to want to fly off. Seems like the antenna itself is holding the plastic shell on. So, thats a plus!

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Ended up going with:

[permatex]

Hope this works.

I actually drove around with the fin just on by itself for a bit.. and it didn't seem to want to fly off. Seems like the antenna itself is holding the plastic shell on. So, thats a plus!
Yep. Got some of that, and have used it on other projects, so it should do the trick. It might work for a year--or for a lifetime.... I'd just put a pea sized daub on the broken bolt holes on the car, and a thin line of it around the perimeter of the fin; set it firmly in place over night. If it comes off again, I'd be surprised, but I'm also surprised that it has broken or fallen off of a couple of cars on the forum. Seems like a part that you never should have to replace or mess with--or it SHOULD work that way.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep. Got some of that, and have used it on other projects, so it should do the trick. It might work for a year--or for a lifetime.... I'd just put a pea sized daub on the broken bolt holes on the car, and a thin line of it around the perimeter of the fin; set it firmly in place over night. If it comes off again, I'd be surprised, but I'm also surprised that it has broken or fallen off of a couple of cars on the forum. Seems like a part that you never should have to replace or mess with--or it SHOULD work that way.

I honestly think that their design needs a bit of work. They should have made it like BMW or toyota where the fin has a flat sealing surface, and they use 3m tape. In fact, the BMW design seems very well. Thats what I've been seeing a lot of info on removing, etc online.

So, got mine done..here are some pics. Hope this does the trick! Guess I will find out tomorrow when I can drive the car again. Glad I have a motorcycle or else I would be screwed!

Cleaned surface of seal area:

Put dabs of glue on the screw hole areas:

Added silicone adhesive to trim. Only a bit!!:

Added more silicone to inside of shell so that it has something to stick to:

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
...Added more silicone to inside of shell so that it has something to stick to...
Good luck on the fix. I just noticed that the antenna assembly coming out of the car, looks like it clips in the metal piece attached up at the top of the fin/cover. Is that so? More parts to it than I thought...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts