Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CRZ EX w/ Nav
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around 4 weeks ago I started feeling a shake when I would accelerate, as in the whole car would shake, not just the steering wheel and it's slowly getting worse.

Currently this is what happens; I start off in 1st gear, accelerate with no shaking, shift to 2nd gear around 15mph with slight shaking while accelerating, and when I shift to 3rd going above 30mph the shaking gets bad, and this happens mostly with 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. But it only happens when accelerating. If I were to ease off the gas and just cruise in 5th gear at 45mph, there is no shaking unless I sped up and once up to speed to cruise it'll smooth back out.

I thought it was because my front tires were very worn out and needed to be balanced but I just installed 2 new front tires that were balanced and are slightly bigger but this didn't help anything. Haven't gotten an alignment yet but this shaking was happening before the new tires so I doubt its an alignment issue. I have hubcentric rings as well so that shouldn't be a problem. I've re-tightened all suspension bolts to spec and made sure lug nuts were tight.

Another thing is that my transmission is noisy when switching gears and not typical manual transmission sounds. As I'm driving and switching gears I can hear a mechanical sound at lower speeds, almost like a tap sound on metal but it's not a consistent sound as I drive, it only happens with each gear shift in 1st-4th. So maybe this is more of a transmission problem than wheel or suspension issue. My shifter has lots of play while in gear, not sure if this means anything but its something I noticed. My clutch is only 2 years old so I don't think it's a clutch problem either.

I also read somewhere about the axles being weak and causing shaking when they're weak. My driver side axle was replaced at a Honda Dealership about 2 years ago so maybe my passenger axle is going bad? I checked them the other day and the passenger axle has more play where it fits into the transmission than the driver side but it's not by much. I'm not an expert when it comes to transmission and axles though so I don't always know what to look for or feel.

The Z has been feeling under powered lately, I know they're slow already but I feel its either a loss of power or something somewhere is weak, causing slower accelerations. But maybe this is just due to the shaking.

I'm thinking the shaking is either 1. bad motor mounts 2. weak axle or 3. Something with transmission. If anyone can give me any ideas or insight with this issue that would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
2010 Honda CR-Z Sport Black
16 Posts
Around 4 weeks ago I started feeling a shake when I would accelerate, as in the whole car would shake, not just the steering wheel and it's slowly getting worse.

Currently this is what happens; I start off in 1st gear, accelerate with no shaking, shift to 2nd gear around 15mph with slight shaking while accelerating, and when I shift to 3rd going above 30mph the shaking gets bad, and this happens mostly with 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. But it only happens when accelerating. If I were to ease off the gas and just cruise in 5th gear at 45mph, there is no shaking unless I sped up and once up to speed to cruise it'll smooth back out.

I thought it was because my front tires were very worn out and needed to be balanced but I just installed 2 new front tires that were balanced and are slightly bigger but this didn't help anything. Haven't gotten an alignment yet but this shaking was happening before the new tires so I doubt its an alignment issue. I have hubcentric rings as well so that shouldn't be a problem. I've re-tightened all suspension bolts to spec and made sure lug nuts were tight.

Another thing is that my transmission is noisy when switching gears and not typical manual transmission sounds. As I'm driving and switching gears I can hear a mechanical sound at lower speeds, almost like a tap sound on metal but it's not a consistent sound as I drive, it only happens with each gear shift in 1st-4th. So maybe this is more of a transmission problem than wheel or suspension issue. My shifter has lots of play while in gear, not sure if this means anything but its something I noticed. My clutch is only 2 years old so I don't think it's a clutch problem either.

I also read somewhere about the axles being weak and causing shaking when they're weak. My driver side axle was replaced at a Honda Dealership about 2 years ago so maybe my passenger axle is going bad? I checked them the other day and the passenger axle has more play where it fits into the transmission than the driver side but it's not by much. I'm not an expert when it comes to transmission and axles though so I don't always know what to look for or feel.

The Z has been feeling under powered lately, I know they're slow already but I feel its either a loss of power or something somewhere is weak, causing slower accelerations. But maybe this is just due to the shaking.

I'm thinking the shaking is either 1. bad motor mounts 2. weak axle or 3. Something with transmission. If anyone can give me any ideas or insight with this issue that would be awesome. Thanks.
I had this issue. Turned out to be one of my driveshafts was damaged. I waited too long to replace it and it snapped, but after replacement it stopped the shaking under acceleration.

·
Registered
2011 CRZ EX w/ Nav
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had this issue. Turned out to be one of my driveshafts was damaged. I waited too long to replace it and it snapped, but after replacement it stopped the shaking under acceleration.
Oh, thanks for the reply! Did you take it somewhere to have it replaced or did you replace it yourself? Where did you find a replacement driveshaft and how much was a new one? If I can replace it myself id rather do that cause moneys tight.

·
Registered
2010 Honda CR-Z Sport Black
16 Posts
Oh, thanks for the reply! Did you take it somewhere to have it replaced or did you replace it yourself? Where did you find a replacement driveshaft and how much was a new one? If I can replace it myself id rather do that cause moneys tight.
I would get your car looked at just to confirm which issue it is. From there you could decide to fix yourself or not.
Once my driveshaft snapped I had the car recovered back to my house and worked on it myself. Took a few hours as a lot of my suspension bolts were rusty but easy enough to replace yourself if you're handy with tools.
I was fortunate enough that there was a used driveshaft for sale nearby to me so I bought it for £50 GBP. Brand new ones would be better but I hear they are hard to source in some markets.
Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Land vehicle
Automotive tire Tread Gas Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
If you turn the wheels all the way to each side you can get a glimpse of the drive shaft, look at the rubber damper thing in the middle of the shaft and check for corrosion in that area as that's the common failure point that SwiftyNI has demonstrated. You could also inspect the rear lower engine mount (commonly referred to as the torque mount) since that one helps control the rotational movement of the engine.

·
Registered
149 Posts

I'm not sure if this is your case, or if it applies to our CR-Zs; I had the exact same issue with my ML350 once. Took it to a renowned Mercedes mechanic ~ all it was needed was:
a) Clean the EGR,​
b) Replace the MAF (cleaned it first, it worked fine. But he suggested replacing)​
And the vehicle ran purrfectly thereafter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
mine does shake too but only in higher gears and constantly at cruising on the highwaymy first thought was tires but i too have the metal sound at shifting at low rpms hmmm i do not hope driveshafts because they are really expensive

·
Registered
2011 CRZ EX w/ Nav
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mine does shake too but only in higher gears and constantly at cruising on the highwaymy first thought was tires but i too have the metal sound at shifting at low rpms hmmm i do not hope driveshafts because they are really expensive
$250 from wholesale parts. I'll be replacing mine soon and give an update.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts