Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo yo yo, so... I was driving along today, everything feeling pretty normal. A gear change here, a lane change there. Feeling good that the Z defeated some Canadian weather last night...Until I got over to the highway.

On the on ramp, accelerating up to 100 I felt some violent shaking in the car... My premature car mechanic mind started to go to work as I got off at the nearest exit.

First thing I assumed was some next level engine knocking... I ruled that out quick because the check engine light would be assaulting the dash (checked for the code anyway, no errors). Second thing that came to mind was the weights came off the rim in the snow, or some snow is stuck somewhere. Third thing that came to mind is a tire is bulging out waiting to go boom.

Edit: I hope it's not the CV Joints but... I'm pretty sure I would have been told that since I put on the winter boots in late November/early December.

I got out the car and cleared off what seemed to be some snow stuck in the wheelwell, the shaking is still there though. It starts around 70 and is obvious around 85.

I'm planning to wash the car tomorrow now if snow is stuck in the rim but...

What do you guys think it is? What should I do?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Hit the tire shop for a balance and look-over. Could be a blown shock. Won't be CV joint, they just get noisy. How many miles? Hit anything, any wheel bent?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
It's all been said already but my best 2 guesses from my experience and your winter travels would be packed snow on the inner wheel surface(s) or missing wheel weight. Good wheel cleaning and test drive after should either rule out or confirm the first.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for helping me grow automotively, with diagnosing problems :p

Well, the shaking is gone. I figured it was snow when I had to make my second stop (I posted here on my first stop) with a few reasons:

1, nothing happened to the car... I didn't hit anything...
2, this is happening on the first drive right after I did some deep snow driving. So it would have to be snow related.
3, d1giPhux saying it was most likely snow also (posted before I left for a dinner). Made me realize it could just be snow forreal.
4, wouldn't the car drift to one side if one of the wheels were unbalanced, too?

So I looked at my tires before I hopped in. And purposely hit some manhole covers and/or went on the "bumpy" side of the road where ever it may be. Kept going up to 80 to feel for any shaking every few kilometres.

Over time, the shaking left.

If that didn't work, right now I'd be at the coin-op carwash. :O I'm pretty happy that many of us had snow in mind, so it makes me more comfortable with my diagnosis.

Well, now I know for the next time :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts