Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
:thumbsup: Yea, nice.. Day pics would be good.

· Registered
666 Posts
Ummm...

The hood looks nice in general, but I am NOT digging the RIPPLES in the carbon fabric underneath the clear resin! :angry: For Seibon, I wouldn't expect to see that. Looks like improper wet lay-up and improper attention to detail during the vacuum bagging and curing process. Especially disappointing since my son just spent almost $600 last week and placed an order for that exact same hood! I hope it looks like $600 worth of CF perfection when it arrives next week. :mellow:

And for the nay-sayers: I'm not just bitching about nothing. I happen to do Carbon Fiber, Kevlar and Fiberglass (and various other aircraft structural) work for a living; I am a technical training school instructor for the U.S. Air Force. 20+ years experience.

Do the ripples make that hood structurally unsound? NOT AT ALL on the front of a Honda CR-Z. On an F-22A Raptor? YES. I know it's JUST a hood, but besides the weight savings factor, aren't most of us buying CF parts mostly for visual appeal and AWE factor?

With Seibon being one of THE top name brands for CF hoods and aero parts (along with VIS) I wouldn't want to look at my beautiful carbon fiber hood and see those ripples and imperfections in it.

What site did you buy it from? I wonder if it was a factory second?

Also, how was the latching mechanism? Pretty solid? Or are you planning on using hood pins or aero-catch latches?

· Registered
750 Posts
Looks great. I am glad to hear that the fitment is perfect. I would like the hood but hesitant to get it because of the vents. Would not want water to get in when washing the car or when it rains. It would be good if there were optional guard covers.

I think at that price it is an amazing deal for perfect fitment and the decrease weight. Hoping the clear coat does not fade, I had a Seibon CF hood and VIS CF duckbill wing on my old Civic and the clear coat on those faded within a year. Make sure to protect it. I am planning on getting the C-west CF hood by the end of March.

Thanks for sharing and posting pics!

· Registered
76 Posts
The hood looks nice in general, but I am NOT digging the RIPPLES in the carbon fabric underneath the clear resin! :angry: For Seibon, I wouldn't expect to see that. Looks like improper wet lay-up and improper attention to detail during the vacuum bagging and curing process. Especially disappointing since my son just spent almost $600 last week and placed an order for that exact same hood! I hope it looks like $600 worth of CF perfection when it arrives next week. :mellow:

And for the nay-sayers: I'm not just bitching about nothing. I happen to do Carbon Fiber, Kevlar and Fiberglass (and various other aircraft structural) work for a living; I am a technical training school instructor for the U.S. Air Force. 20+ years experience.

Do the ripples make that hood structurally unsound? NOT AT ALL on the front of a Honda CR-Z. On an F-22A Raptor? YES. I know it's JUST a hood, but besides the weight savings factor, aren't most of us buying CF parts mostly for visual appeal and AWE factor?

With Seibon being one of THE top name brands for CF hoods and aero parts (along with VIS) I wouldn't want to look at my beautiful carbon fiber hood and see those ripples and imperfections in it.

What site did you buy it from? I wonder if it was a factory second?

Also, how was the latching mechanism? Pretty solid? Or are you planning on using hood pins or aero-catch latches?
Your most likely looking at the light reflecting off the hood

· Registered
666 Posts
Ummm... No.

That is NOT "light reflecting off the hood". In fact, it is light catching the weave just right, accentuating the vertical ripples which appear to be spaced-apart about every 1/2"-3/4" from left to right. If you pot enough resin on top of it, you still get a "glossy" finished product. FWIW, I'm sure the camera flash made it look a little worse than it is in person. OP, please post better daytime (sunlight) pics for us to see!

Sorry, but I know what I'm talking about. Not trying to be "Debbie Downer" here, it is just discouraging that I just ordered that very hood for my son. I certainly hope his looks right, or it's going back! I would at least CALL to see what Seibon or the company I bought it from would do after I e-mailed them pictures of it. :angry:

Search "Google Images" for that hood on the white CR-Z from the SEMA show. Out of the 40 pics out there, NONE of them have ripples in the fabric. Those ripples can be caused by the fabric being rolled improperly, or worse FOLDED which leave near-permanent indentations in it.

I'm sure my comments will piss somebody off on here because people will take it like I'm bashing the first REAL CF hood we've seen on a member's car on this forum (to my knowledge). Totally NOT the case! I'm simply trying to inform another member who may not know that it shouldn't look like that.

· Registered
666 Posts
Well if he picked up that hood from Seibon, then I dunno. My son is thinking he'll dig the CF hood for now, but thinks one day he may paint it but leave the vents CF.

That I know of, there is no channel underneath. If you look at the OP's pics, you can see right through the mesh. I'll probably fabricate some aluminum cover plates with spring steel clips for rainy days.

I will let y'all know when he and I put his new hood on. Should be the same time we BOTH get our new wheels & tires and I get my window tint, armrest, splash guards and front lip. There will be LOTS of pics! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.