Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Been driving around in my little cr-z with no problems for past couple months, until today.

Let me preface by saying that I tried to use a couple of Bluetooth obd2 sensors and neither of them will pair up with my android auto head unit. I tried getting these to work before I got the IMA light on the dash.
So this is my problem the IMA light on the dash, hopefully messing around with the obd2 didn't cause it?

The light came on after I finished driving about 60+ miles and some of it through some big up and down hills, so lots of charging a and discharging of battery. I do this ride a couple times a month, no problems before.
I arrived at destination and turned off car & it sat for about 19 minutes total, I started her up and the IMA light warning was on within a minute.
Drove car, with no issues for a block or so & decided to pull over & turn of & see if that works clear issue, and removed the obd2 scanner which I had left connected. Started up & no IMA light. Drove for about 5 miles & light came on while driving. Stopped for gas, light was off, for rest of ride home about 20 miles or more.

Any ideas on what I could be looking at here?
Obviously I can't use the obd2 scanner which wouldn't connect to radio anyhow
That in itself is so weird, I could connect both obd2 scanners to phone no problem, car radio can find them, but no matter what couldn't connect to either

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,492 Posts
Take the car to a car parts place have them pull the codes (for free) using a wired code scanner then let us know the code(s). While you are there they can also load test the under hood battery for free. Just make sure that is done with engine not running.

I have said this before but your situation seems different since it is only the IMA light but have you had the Under hood battery load tested? That is Step one when anything odd happens with a CR-Z.

It is odd that you have the OBD II interfaces and you can't read the codes on your phone. Sounds like both of the OBD II devices you have are worthless. In all the postings I have read on here I have never heard of the OBD II interface causing an issue it just allows the information to be read from the port. Others on this forum have them and have used them so maybe the two you have are defective.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the car to a car parts place have them pull the codes (for free) using a wired code scanner then let us know the code(s). While you are there they can also load test the under hood battery for free. Just make sure that is done with engine not running.

I have said this before but your situation seems different since it is only the IMA light but have you had the Under hood battery load tested? That is Step one when anything odd happens with a CR-Z.

It is odd that you have the OBD II interfaces and you can't read the codes on your phone. Sounds like both of the OBD II devices you have are worthless. In all the postings I have read on here I have never heard of the OBD II interface causing an issue it just allows the information to be read from the port. Others on this forum have them and have used them so maybe the two you have are defective.
Thx for the reply!!!

Will go get it scanned for sure, and check the battery, the battery is a duracell and has a date of code of 2/19.

I don't think it's an issue with the devices per-se as more an issue with the aftermarket android auto radio connecting with them, because have no issue connecting to either device with the phone.

I also am hoping and don't think that just connecting and obd2 dongle to the car would cause and issue, but what time for the coincidence, to make me paranoid lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,492 Posts
Have you installed a Compatible Application for the OBD II dongle on the Android head unit you have? Many mention Torque application. That application may only work on phones though?

Thx for the reply!!!

Will go get it scanned for sure, and check the battery, the battery is a duracell and has a date of code of 2/19.

I don't think it's an issue with the devices per-se as more an issue with the aftermarket android auto radio connecting with them, because have no issue connecting to either device with the phone.

I also am hoping and don't think that just connecting and obd2 dongle to the car would cause and issue, but what time for the coincidence, to make me paranoid lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you installed a Compatible Application for the OBD II dongle on the Android head unit you have? Many mention Torque application. That application may only work on phones though?
Yep that was the original intent to use at least the free version tourque lite, it is installed on the car radio, but the issue is neither of the dongles being able to connect with bluetooth, they show up in the scan, and am able to enter their passcodes, but will not connect, even though the passcode for both different brands are 1234, have also tried 0000 to no avail. It's just weird, I believe it is an issue with the radio, who knows...
I could try connecting one of them again, and then using the tourque lite app on the phone, but now i'm nervous to plug one of these into the obd2 again :oops:🤣

·
Registered
90 Posts
The head unit probably doesn't support the data.protocol for Bluetooth which is different from the hands-free and media. I've had no problem using Torque Pro with my phone in the Z.
Going to a parts store is a waste of time if the check engine light isn't on, they can only plug in an OBDII scanner to read engine codes. Only an HDS will be able to scan the IMA.
Shark I know we're local, and I do have an HDS clone tool so maybe we could meet up and I could scan it for you. Masks and distancing required of course.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The head unit probably doesn't support the data.protocol for Bluetooth which is different from the hands-free and media. I've had no problem using Torque Pro with my phone in the Z.
Going to a parts store is a waste of time if the check engine light isn't on, they can only plug in an OBDII scanner to read engine codes. Only an HDS will be able to scan the IMA.
Shark I know we're local, and I do have an HDS clone tool so maybe we could meet up and I could scan it for you. Masks and distancing required of course.
Message sent

·
Super Moderator
6,492 Posts
The codes even if Light is off will be stored.
The Torque software does not mention tablets so probably not supported on Android based radio head units which use a different software and version of Bluetooth.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure if it's strictly an IMA code that it will be readable with a standard OBD scanner. But if we end up meeting I'll try Torque first before breaking out the HDS. If nothing else it's a lot simpler.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
462 Posts
Same thing happens to me, my head unit, which runs full Android, doesn't even see the scanner.

Also, my cheap ELM327 clone can't seem to read anything related to the hybrid battery, so I dont think it'd read any IMA codes. Try using your phone to connect to the scanner.

Reactions: SharkCrz

·
Registered
90 Posts
And the winner is-
An auto-stop code stored in the IMA. The light wasn't on any more but the code was still there. Could be a flaky brake switch, need to keep an eye on it and see if it comes back, maybe do some testing to check if the switch is working properly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to NY-Z so much for coming out and checking out my slightly sad Z
Fun to discuss the car!!!

I noticed that the start stop is not working also.
Something is going on here, but shouldn't be catastrophic. I will have to check at the brake pedal and see if a switch looks damaged there tomorrow.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great meeting you and talking Z for a while. Too bad it wasn't about 10 degrees warmer-
And FWIW this code did NOT show up with an OBD scan in Torque so the HDS was needed to see it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just found a YouTube which says the description is :
PCI bugs unable to communicate with (DRBIII) Scan toolFused ignition switch output incorrect (off-run-start) intermittent condition PCM has failed.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well looks like the problem is solved :KnockOnWood:
Ever since NY-Z cleared the code, I have driven the car a couple hundred miles & still clear.
NY-Z has the magic touch haha. I I know that just clearing a code doesn't fix the problem, so this one is a mystery. Was it just a glitch an old code stored that had been fixed, but code remained stored only to rear its head again?
Maybe will never know & I got one am glad to have it stay buried
Thanks again NY-Z!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Let me know when you guys are meeting up again.

IM sent

Reactions: SharkCrz

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sure thing, we didn't really know we were meeting up this time until the last minute.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts