Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mishmash because it's part HPD, part... *dramatic music* something... else. I would like for a mostly stock-appearing car with surprising performance and low upkeep.

Drivetrain:
HPD SC #13
Maxbored TB
HPD LSD (purchased, not installed)

Interior:
TWM heavy hybrid shift knob
'hole of death' delete for the sides of the console
most of a red LED conversion, need iJDMToy front dome LED panels as the straight single LED replacements blow
Skunk2, BC STS + some solid washers from kingjihgy

Audio (wishlist, probably needs updating):
Pioneer NEX5100
Sundown SA-8 V3 (500watt 'max' - I've seen videos of these pushed to over 1200w - in a custom enclosure by the battery)
*sigh*
Jensen DUBa11000D 1100W 1-Channel Class D Amplifier, from walmart, pushing 700watts max... as long as it doesn't break it should be fine, and it keeps the sub+amp cheaper than the cost of the headunit.... plus you haters will never see it ;D

Exterior:
VA legal ceramic tint
JP style gloss black-wrapped rear wing (purchased, needs touch up before wrap + install)
BC coils with swift springs
Beatrush pillowball mounts
Beatrush aluminum belly panel
Team Heko visors (purchased, not installed - were installed, but then they fell off, so going to use a lot more adhesive 2nd time around)
rear wiper delete (purchased, not installed)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To buy (in the near future):
beatrush underbelly pan (after other mods)
M&M Flatbottom aero panels (after other mods)
17x8ish front, 17x7ish rear team dynamics wheels, not sure on rubber yet
buddy club short shifter
hybrid racing shifter bushings
extra wiper sprayer + tubing
civic si clutch master cylinder (cdv delete on the cheap)
springs, likely rs-r down w/ camber bolts, possibly pillowball mounts too
aeroflow dynamics front spoiler
license plate tow hook mount
Clazzio seat covers quilted w/heaters
afe dry filter
red interior LEDs, possibly converting most of the dash lights and the kick plates as well
eventually a head unit, and a sub (small as I don't want to add a lot of weight)
various interior/exterior mods (memory foam, eyeliner, etc.)

final plans (after warranty):
air suspension
enginer plug in kit
rear axle replacement with the camber/toe adjustable version
maybe a hybrid j-swap, will change the weight balance in the favor of a fwd drivetrain

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet you can't! I have like a page long list of parts to order from you Zach :D

just buying some odds and ends now though until I finally get the damn clutch and diff installed. once the work has been paid for on the clutch and diff, well, this credit card has been empty for a while just waiting for my order :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
minor update I put into the HPD thread I figure should be here as well as it's documenting what I think of the car.

Under 3,200ish RPMs it feels like it loses a bunch of power, and until about 4,500 rpms it can run even with a bolt-on only 'z (manual vs manual 2013+), after 4500 is where it starts to pull and 5,000 to 6,600 is where it really feels worth it, especially the 'psssshhhhhh' from just over 6,000 to redline.

1st gear is mostly usable with TC if not in sport mode, although occasionally i'll chirp the stock tires (just broke 8,000m!). 2nd gear is fun, again with TC, without sport mode. 3rd and up sport mode adds to the fun rather than just slipping the clutch between shifts :p

I've had issues redline shifting (on private roads and likely soon to be a track) into 5th gear even with my weighted knob, so lately I've been practicing not granny shifting but double clutching like I should on up shifts (most of the time from 2nd up, nearly always into 5th), but haven't had an opportunity to hit the private roads again :/ I usually double clutch down shift anyway unless I'm coming in real hot into a corner.

I'm getting a few action/dash cam type deals and should have some videos... before winter.

Again, still no word on the HPD clutch, still don't have the LSD, and still haven't bought the wheels/tires I've been waiting on buying for this whole time. The rest of my mods are just on hold until the clutch is sorted and I'm through paying Honda, except maybe the ported TB i've been sitting on a while and the visors (been raining a LOT lately).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been looking to do somewhat of the same type of build. With the HPDSC, has anything drastically changed with your fuel economy? Its the one thing keeping me from thinking directly about making plans with an HPDSC in mind. There are two turbo timebombs in garage and I'd like to keep the CR-Z as economically friendly as possible.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey sneak36, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'll shoot you a PM too to remind you.

Fuel economy went from about 44 to 38. Others have seen changes of <4mpgs. This is with me doing about 60/40 highway/city, and lots of redlining every chance I get until I'm up to speed, then I cruise at posted limit +5 mph.

In other news, I traded my stock TB to king... jghiyghghigh for a JP-style wing in disrepair. I bought some JB plastic stuff for the bigger, deeper holes and will need some other kind of stuff for the larger but shallow areas, plus wetsanding gear.

I've planned out my music install and will update the first page shortly. I plan on running the amp install kit whenever I get my other short shifter and the heated clazzios (definitely prior to this winter) so I don't have to tear into the console more than once, ever lol. And then install the HU and get the amp, sub, and custom box (might do it myself) put together at a later day.

Next purchase will be winter/all seasons for the stocker wheels, and will need to fix up the rear passenger quarter panel. After that, probably a replacement bumper. We'll see what my wallet's feeling lol, I'm trying to buy a house in NoVA so that's gonna be fun.

I've been spending a lot more time on FB in crz society, honda crz, and other groups. If you call out HPD CRZ #13, I'll answer lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey sneak36, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'll shoot you a PM too to remind you.

Fuel economy went from about 44 to 38. Others have seen changes of <4mpgs. This is with me doing about 60/40 highway/city, and lots of redlining every chance I get until I'm up to speed, then I cruise at posted limit +5 mph.
The response is appreciated regardless! Threads like yours are a resource to framing a proper end game build for my own. Currently quite jealous that you have an HPD number.

That isn't necessarily terrible, though. I've only redlined my CR-Z maybe three times since I've received ownership so I more than likely won't be impacted as such. Heck, I'm happy enough that I'm getting more than 32mpg (all city here), what with my previous car being lucky to get 22mpg.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My build thread is barely such lol. I'm glad to be the target of such envy but a lot of the non-FI guys and gals have some really great cars! I've had to delay a lot of the stuff I had planned because of the issues getting my HPD parts; I don't like spending big money on parts until the previous ones are paid off and installed lol.

I am making slow progress though... trying to plan my build so I don't have a lot of frustrating, repeated down time and taking apart the interior multiple times. So I want to do all the center console stuff at once, all the dashboard stuff in a sitting or two, etc.

And I highly recommend sending your 'Z through all parts of the rev range. Sustained high revs are bad but you need to run it hard occasionally to prevent carbon build up :) at least that's what I tell myself.

Once you do the initial 1500 mile or whatever break in, try near-redlining as smoothly as possible (minimize impact to the rest of the drivetrain) after the car is warmed up at least once a day/drive.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, man, this thread was buried!

I'm currently saving to buy a new motor I sourced so I can build it, swap it, and max out the boost!

I'm also looking at picking up a few odds and ends that happened to be on super sale.

I recently lost my job and then decided it was a good time to move to a new apartment that costs 2x as much before getting my first paycheck from the new job, so I burned through a few grand I had set aside for buying parts.

Also I started using FB on my phone and it's a lot more attractive than this site on mobile, so I've kind of not been around here all that much.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally recovered financially somewhat from my job change/move about a year ago. Bought suspension, wheels, and some other miscellaneous parts. Updated the 1st post with most of it.

If anyone ever has a line on a LEA motor, 'full' vtec cylinder head assembly, higher comp pistons, and forged con rods, give me a shout out here or on FB.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.