Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by the dealer yesterday to order a new shipping cap on front bumber (it fell out). Also inquired about the oil change intervals, I still have 60% oil life and I'm at 5424 miles. The guy did say they are seeing as much as up to 10,000 miles between oil changes for hybrids.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The maintenance minder system actually determines your interval for service by checking your individual driving habits. If you drive it harder(like me) you can expect a 5-7k miles or so between oil changes. If you drive more "responsibly" you can achieve a 10-12k window.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The maintenance minder system actually determines your interval for service by checking your individual driving habits. If you drive it harder(like me) you can expect a 5-7k miles or so between oil changes. If you drive more "responsibly" you can achieve a 10-12k window.
How true is this?

I mean, I flog the hell out of my car, truth be told. Though I do a lot of highway driving. I had assumed there was some sort of viscosity measurement device to determine oil changes, but of course have not read exactly how maintenance minder works. Is that the official Honda description?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honad, I don't think it is very true. While I had my Si for 3 years and 21k miles, when I did drive it, I drove it fast and hard. My oil was only changed 2 times as they told me to do so between 15%-0%.

It has just become more common knowledge that you don't need an oil change every 5k.

Not sure if anyone listens to Car Talk but one of the brothers has an old 80's car that has had the same oil in it for 20+ years now as a pseudo experiment and last I heard it was still working just fine. He's been amazed that the engine hasn't seized up yet, which is understandable.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
^ im pretty sure its true. The ECU monitors your RPMs and your driving habits (hard acceleration etc) and updates the interval to cater to your driving style. trebor works at honda so i think he knows. additionally i have heard this from several different people at honda including service advisors.

EDIT: From a honda dealer - http://www.rbhonda.com/maintenance-minder-system.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
^ im pretty sure its true. The ECU monitors your RPMs and your driving habits (hard acceleration etc) and updates the interval to cater to your driving style. trebor works at honda so i think he knows. additionally i have heard this from several different people at honda including service advisors.
That's cool if it is, I just didn't notice his results with the way I drove my Si.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like the Honda system now that I understand how it works.
I used to change my oil at 5,000 miles, (easy to remember when ya have too many vehicles) my dealer said to get it changed every 3,500 miles in the CR-Z.
I'm going to use the car's system and save some oil.
I already have a 55 gal drum filled with old oil that I need to dispose of.
Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maintenance Minder

Maintenance Minder

"The Maintenance Minder™ system calculates the engine's tune-up schedule based on driving conditions (tracked by the PCM). When determining proper maintenance intervals, the system minimizes owner guesswork about whether the vehicle is being operated in standard or severe conditions. The CR-Z's Maintenance Minder system information appears in the Multi- Information Display (MID) and indicates when to change the oil, oil filter (every other oil change), air cleaner, transmission fluid, spark plugs, engine coolant, as well as when to rotate the tires. A tune-up is not required until about 100,000 miles. (Note: 100K+/- Miles No Scheduled Tune-ups may vary with driving conditions. Does not apply to fluid and filter changes. Exact mileage is determined by actual driving conditions. The owner's manual contains full details.) Long-life fluids have been used for reduced environmental impact (fluid disposal) and reduced maintenance costs. As a result, engine coolant changes are needed about every 10 years or approximately 100,000 miles, and engine oil changes are required around 7,500 miles under normal driving conditions, or annually if fewer miles are driven per year."

·
Registered
270 Posts
We have 26,362 miles on Sherman. So far, here's what we've done as far as maintenance:

6,381 miles: did first oil change. "Oil Life" indicator said about 40% & no maintenance minder came on, but decided to bring him in bc we hit a curb & wanted to have the mechanic check out the integrity of the tire (it was missing a "chunk"), and decided to have the oil changed. Cost $53.

~15,800 miles: maintenance minder came on for the "B1" service; oil life said 15%.

16,242 miles: took the car in for the B1 service: oil change, tire rotation, multi-point inspection. Cost $113.

~26,300 miles: maintenance minder came on for the "A123" service; oil life said 15%.

We'll bring the car in for the A123 service sometime this week (basically, oil change, tire rotation, change the filters, & replace the tranny fluid); probably between 26,300-27k miles.

In short, our MM have been coming on for the oil change (and other applicable services) approximately every 10k miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.