Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have one but have yet to install it. I used it in my VUE when that was my DD, mostly to track mileage. Since the CRZ does such a good job of this on its own I may not install it at all. It would be nice to know water temp and intake temp, but that's about it. I might just put it back in the VUE.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had one in my Mini, still deciding whether to keep it or not. I learned to love it and it is interesting to see some of the more intricate details of what's going on in the engine (it was great for seeing intake temperature and boost pressure on the Mini). Now it's less useful on this car, but I still might keep it around as it still has interesting features (gives me exact water temp, throttle position, load, etc.). I also loved how it would almost function like a taxi meter. You put your gas price and the amount of gallons in on every fillup and you get a realtime readout about how much a certain trip costs...

Biggest problem right now is that it gets fooled by the auto-stop and shuts off. I wish there was a setting to delay the auto shut-off, or it could somehow recognize that the car is still on... I have to press a button for it to wake again, it doesn't seem to want to wake up when the engine kicks back on by itself.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Answering questions from another thread where this came up, figured it belongs here too:

Thread for this please. How much info do you get that isn't on the car console? Seems a bit much to pay for just getting coolant temp.
There are tons of options of what to display.

Intake air temperature,
IGN timing,
Throttle position (interesting to watch while in cruise control)
Load
Vacuum/boost
Gallons per hour of fuel instant readout
By the numbers MPG readout (more accurate than the bar graph we have)
+at least 10 more I can't remember right now, plus it's programmable so whenever somebody figures out where the battery charge level is indicated via OBD you'll be able to get a readout of that too!

Probably my favorite feature is the trip computer. It's much more detailed and gives you much more information compared to the one in the dash. It allows you to input how many gallons each fillup was and the cost per gallon, so you can calculate a trips' cost in real-time. It also calibrates itself over time by estimating how much fuel you used and then checking that to how much you put in at each fillup. Over time it becomes so accurate that it'll give you to the decimal point how many gallons are left in the tank, giving you a little more confidence in getting more fuel out of each tank (the low fuel and miles left readings are generally pretty conservative).

I'm keeping mine around, found a decent place to mount it and I've changed the backlight to blue so it looks like it's part of the car at night. Probably not worth the money for this car but since I already had it for my previous car (where it was totally worth it) I'll keep it. Apparently this is very popular for the 1st gen Insights, probably going to peruse their forums for tips on how to use these readouts to maximize my MPG.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks... very interesting. It would be good to get something like this integrated in an aftermaket stereo head unit, it a Bluetooth interface to an android phone app. Sound like its not needed, but is still interesting over the stock instrumentation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just bought the Scanguage and have been using it for the last week or so on my V6 Camry.. it's a really interesting device.

With just casual application of a few "hypermiling" techniques I was able to get 33.8MPG on my Camry on my daily ride to work where a few weeks I was in the very lows 20's!

When I pick up my new Z next week, I'll move it over or I may even purchase a second wiring harness and swish over the head unit only.

RJ

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sadly I don't believe there are oil temp or pressure sensors for it to read.

It does do:

Fuel Economy
Fuel Rate
Battery Voltage
Coolant Temperature
Intake Air Temperature
Engine Speed (RPM)
Vehicle speed (MPH)
Manifold Pressure (not available on some vehicles)
Engine Load
Throttle Position
Ignition Timing
Open/Closed Loop

There are various gauges that can be added with the XGauge function. Air to fuel ratio is a common one (you can even do it per cylinder apparently).

Interestingly they have a whole section for the Escape Hybrid in the XGauge support docs...

Traction Battery State-ofCharge
Traction Battery Voltage
Traction Battery Voltage (alt)
Traction Battery Temp
Traction Motor Speed
Generator Motor Speed
Motor Electronics Coolant Temp
eCVT Temp
Cylinder Head Temp
Long Term Fuel Trim
Catalyst Temp
Charge Limit
Discharge Limit
Fuel Rail Temperature
Max Battery Module Temp
Min Battery Module Temp
Avg Battery Module Temp
Max Battery Module Temp Change
A/C Clutch Commanded On
Fuel Rail Pressure
Motor Coil Temp
Generator Coil Temp
4 Wheel Drive Engaged
Barometric Pressure

All of these commands are probably different for our car, but if they can be found it would be interesting. Particularly interested in battery temperature and voltage

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Sadly I don't believe there are oil temp or pressure sensors for it to read.

It does do:

Fuel Economy
Fuel Rate
Battery Voltage
Coolant Temperature
Intake Air Temperature
Engine Speed (RPM)
Vehicle speed (MPH)
Manifold Pressure (not available on some vehicles)
Engine Load
Throttle Position
Ignition Timing
Open/Closed Loop

There are various gauges that can be added with the XGauge function. Air to fuel ratio is a common one (you can even do it per cylinder apparently).

Interestingly they have a whole section for the Escape Hybrid in the XGauge support docs...

Traction Battery State-ofCharge
Traction Battery Voltage
Traction Battery Voltage (alt)
Traction Battery Temp
Traction Motor Speed
Generator Motor Speed
Motor Electronics Coolant Temp
eCVT Temp
Cylinder Head Temp
Long Term Fuel Trim
Catalyst Temp
Charge Limit
Discharge Limit
Fuel Rail Temperature
Max Battery Module Temp
Min Battery Module Temp
Avg Battery Module Temp
Max Battery Module Temp Change
A/C Clutch Commanded On
Fuel Rail Pressure
Motor Coil Temp
Generator Coil Temp
4 Wheel Drive Engaged
Barometric Pressure

All of these commands are probably different for our car, but if they can be found it would be interesting. Particularly interested in battery temperature and voltage
I'm sold. I will be getting one of these.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.