Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, newbie here, hope I'm doing this right.

Just wanted to see if anyone has employed one of these in their CRZ and noticed the difference in fuel economy numbers? When I use the ScanGauge II see averages into the 50's at the end of a 50+ mile trip however the car's fuel economy gauges show considerably less. By considerably less, I mean high 40's. Even the instant mpg's are about 5-7mpg different.

Secondly, when I do it the old fashion way by calculating my fill-ups, the computer shows less by about 2mpg's on average.

This makes me think the CRZ could use some calibrating.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
The onboard computer is usually within 1 mpg with my hand calculation. See my fuelly.com link below - I record the computer's number in the 'notes.' Last two have been 43.9/43.9 and 43.1/43.0 - right on.

Also, maybe the Scan Gauge needs calibration? But, since the gauge should be connected, through the OBDII connector, to the same 'car data bus' as the driver meters, I'd expect the numbers to just agree.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ITEM9, yes the car is all stock with the exception of a K&N filter. But that brings up another item I noticed, when I hit 61mph and above on the dash, the ScanGauge differs by an additional 2mph.

@gordonfc, it's a device hooked up to the odbII jack that gives you some insight on what's going on under the hood. ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have a little experience with these gauges. As far as I can tell, they are dead on accurate for temps, pressures, and sensor displays, but as far as MPG is concerned...the stock readout is what I would trust. These units have been out for a while and I doubt that they interface well with hybrids in that respect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a little experience with these gauges. As far as I can tell, they are dead on accurate for temps, pressures, and sensor displays, but as far as MPG is concerned...the stock readout is what I would trust. These units have been out for a while and I doubt that they interface well with hybrids in that respect.
There are settings for hybrid vehicles in the scangauge however I'm beginning to think that it is just overall optimistic. According the this thing, my 95 Impreza gets 30 mpgs, and my 4WD Escape with a V6 gets 37 on the highway. The Escape is relatively efficient for a small SUV but I know my Impreza is a pig. I can hear the gas flowing when I'm driving down the road. Maybe this scangauge needs a refresh of the firmware.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Old thread, but what was mentioned above - there is calibration that you can do every fill-up. Takes several cycles to get it pretty close, but it'll never be dead on, just like the on-board one. The way I drive somehow fools the on-board display by about .5MPG in the optimistic territory (average based on almost 40 full tank fill-ups).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mattyyg,

may i ask where and how you mounted your SG-II?
I have one and ran it in my Ridgeline and was quite impressed with the accuracy, although it took about 3-4 fill-up cycles to be spot on with MPG/usage.

B

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hello. Does the scangage show water temp and oil temp>?? thx ..z

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
Hello. Does the scangage show water temp and oil temp>?? thx ..z
Coolant temp - yes.
Oil temp - I don't believe it does.

·
Registered
193 Posts
No Oil temp on SGII

The mileage is an estimate, calculated by algorithms programmed in to the unit.
It does take 3-4 tanks full of fuel to get close too.

I had one in my previous car.
Got bored of it after a very short time.
Whenever I used to switch the engine off, the speed used to register 158mph on the scangauge and 100+mpg.
But you have to leave the thing connected to shut down in its own time, hence it used to mess my figures up.

Its good to see the differences in air intake temps when using different setups though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts