Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
On the topic of rare and obscure Hondas. Probably the lowest production model I have is the Acura ZDX. Only 7,000 sold world wide. I think I have spotted 4 in the time we have owned it. Second most rare is probably the first gen Insight at ~13k units worldwide. I still see a few of those running around but I kind of live in the land of environmental types.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I don't think I've ever seen an Acura ZDX, I didn't even know it was a thing.

Over here, G1 Insights are very rare, I think I've probably seen about 5 or 6. Last one I saw was about 2 weeks ago, a gray one in very sad condition, the paint was completely peeled off. I'd love to own one someday.

The CRX is also very rare, and I'd also love to own one someday. I've probably seen 3. I've seen more G1 NSXs (which is my absolute dream car) than G1 Insights or the CRX.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah all the Insights around here are absolutely beat and typically covered in political stickers. Reminds me the old Insight commercial with the VW bus covered in save the planet stickers. "You can say it on your car or with your car." Always stuck with me. Now I need to go find that commercial.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Camera doesn't show it very well, but they didn't look super nice. The white one had slightly faded, dull paint, and you can see the headlights are super cloudy, the passenger side is completely opaque. There also seems to be some damage on the fron, but it's hard to tell from photos.

The red one was in much better shape, but it still looked just ok. You can see the front wheels are absolutely coated in brake dust, which suggests not only neglect, but also cheapo aftermarket brake pads.

That's rough. At least you get some extra cash 🤷‍♂️. I recently moved into an apartment so washing the car is a whole lot more complicated. Luckily I did apply a ceramic coating before I left and it makes a big difference. Dirt and junk build up much more slowly and when it rains or whatever a lot of the dirt falls off. If you're driving and it stops raining, the water falls off the car so you get very little water spots. It definitely helps, although applying it properly isn't super easy or fast.
Did you apply the coating yourself?
I'm thinking of DIY myself

·
Registered
13 Posts
7th Gen Civics we’re very generic looking and did not age well. They were as unpopular in the used car market as they were popular when new. Plus many fell in the hands of tuners who ran them ragged. Before Subaru brought the WRX and Mitsubishi brought the Evolution to the States, 6th and 7th Gen Civics coupes were tuned to death. I remember a few of them blowing up under NOS on my (then) local street racing scene in Florida in the mid ‘00’s. I guess the sedan was one of those cars you just drove ‘till the wheels fell off and then you got yourself an 8th or 9th Gen.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Did you apply the coating yourself?
I'm thinking of DIY myself
Yes, I did, and I used a cheap $20 coating from Amazon. Admittedly, the car looks pretty much the same, but water and just and junk doesn't stick nearly as much now.

These are the steps I took:
Wash the car with dish soap to degrease it.
Use claybar to decontaminate paint.
use a soft foam pad and swirl remover with a dual action polisher to give the paint a very light polish. It was in good shape beforehand, so no paint correction needed.
Wash car again with dish soap to remove any wax or oils from the swirl remover.
Do a 2-towel IPA wipe, where I use a wet towel to wipe 91% isopropyl alcohol onto the car, then immediately use a dry towel to dry it off before it evaporates. This ensures the car is wax and oil free.
Apply coating. wait 48 hours for it to cure.

7th Gen Civics we’re very generic looking and did not age well. They were as unpopular in the used car market as they were popular when new. Plus many fell in the hands of tuners who ran them ragged. Before Subaru brought the WRX and Mitsubishi brought the Evolution to the States, 6th and 7th Gen Civics coupes were tuned to death. I remember a few of them blowing up under NOS on my (then) local street racing scene in Florida in the mid ‘00’s. I guess the sedan was one of those cars you just drove ‘till the wheels fell off and then you got yourself an 8th or 9th Gen.
That is true, they look very simmilar to the Toyota Corolla from the same era, and a fair number of the ones I still see are either falling apart, riced out, or often both.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts