Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Sam's Carbon Fiber Build

24K views 73 replies 20 participants last post by  ubeyo 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, I finally got around to creating a build thread. Been a member for a while and never really gotten around to doing one till now. I bought it in 2011 with 7 miles on it, so basically brand new.So here we go:

I have been playing around with carbon and selling parts as I go, everything I make for my car is also available for everyone to purchase. I plan to get into SEMA with a full Carbon Fiber CR-Z.

My 2011 PWP Base Cvt

Carbon Fiber parts currently installed/made:
○JDP wing
○BASIS rear window visor
○PASSWORD JDM diffuser modded to fit my dual center exit exhaust
○350Z bumperduct
○JDP CF wing
○Carbon Fiber headlight eyelids

Exterior:
•Rexxstyling 8 pc stealth widebody (waiting to install)
- 4pc stealth widebody over-fenders
- 2pc stealth side diffusers
- stealth front lip
- stealth rear spoiler
•JDM blue emblems
•T1R convex mirrors
•Bayson r front lip/ dipped pearl white for right now
•Window vents
•OEM foglights w/ 3000k HIDs
•YAKIMA Snowboard rack (for snowboard season)
•back of hatch vinyl in black
•King Blue front window visor with "Hybrid Motorsports" cut out
•6000K HID's
•Fenders rolled by DFR stance in Manteca, CA
•blue anodized front tow hook
•blue chameleon headlight wrap

Interior:
•Blue leather wrapped door panels
•Honda fit shifter
•All blue interior LED's
•2x 12 in subs with 900 watt amp.
•Anodized blue with CF pedals
•5% tint on the back 3 windows
• oil temp/oil press/water temp glowshift gauges

Performance/under the hood:
•Jackson Racing Supercharger kit
•Agressive street tune
•J's racing header
•Remote Start
•Custom Magnaflow center exit exhaust
•Custom 2 1/4 midpipe
•MUGEN anodized blue oil cap
•PASSWORD JDM blue battery tie down

Suspension/Chassis/Wheels:
•Airlift v2 management
•D2 Air Struts
•BBS Reps 17x9 +22 all around, wrapped with continental extreme contact 205/45/ZR17
•Ultra Racing front strut bar
•Ultra Racing rear sway bar

Planned Carbon Fiber parts:
○Hood (already made a mold just waiting on some time to infuse the hood)
○Fenders L/R F/R quarterpanels
○F/R Bumpers
○Bayson R side diffusers and modified front lip both will have a mold created and CF replacement
○splitter
○Interior/Exterior interior trim pieces
○Windshield shroud (below windshield/behind the hood)

Planned mods:
•I will purchase a carbon roof/hatch and doors (as I dont have the space or equipment to make things of that nature as of right now.

Special thanks to Ken (drheem) helped me out a lot with few things!

here is a video of what the z sounds like (sorry for the bad quality)
Edit: i dont know why it doesnt work?

there were a few people on the forum wondering what the diffuser would ook like with a center exit exhaust, so I took the chance and bought it off ken and prayed I wouldnt ruin it

Latest pictures:

See less See more
#3 ·
Hmmm, looks like you are a bit behind in your thread, :lol:
Oh well, better late than never!

What window visors did you choose?
And is the exhaust custom, or one of the center-exit ones available for the CR-Z?

:thumbup:

#12 ·
Got my 3000k HIDs in today for my foglights, since the base model didnt have any I figured id put some in, so friday will be a very busy day. I have to replace the lenses on my foglights, put in HIDs and splice them to my headlight, then I have to paint my front lip, and install it before I put the bumper back on because the car is too low to work from beneath it. Then do a little bit of tidying up with the wiring and then im done.

#15 ·
Love the dish on those BBS man. Can't wait to see this beast in person. What are the dimensions on that set?

#16 ·
Did you roll the rear fenders and shave the rear tab to get those wheels to fit properly? Because I'm debating if I should get 17x9 +22 or +38 for the rear. I'm trying not roll or modify my fenders. Btw, I'm dropped 2inches in the rear.

Loving the car though. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
If you get 17x9 +22 like me, then you would rub pretty hard without having your fenders rolled, because I rub on dips and bumps still, and having a 2in drop would most likely make the rubbing worse, so you might want to go with +38 if you dont want your fenders rolled and tab shaved.

#21 ·
Lots of stuff been happening this past week since i was on spring break.

First I got all my equipment and tools necessary to start fabricating my own carbon fiber parts.

Then I got my gauges in. Cant wait to install them, i was very busy this week making the mold for my carbon fiber hood, so I had no time to install them.

As the week came to a close I got my molds done, so now all that is left is a few touch ups and then bag the carbon

#24 ·
I've got a bunch of questions about the Glowshifts:
1. How close does the blue match the rest of the interior blue?
2. Did you use the oil filter adapter to hook up the oil sending units?
3. How bright are the gauges when they dim? Do you have them hooked up to the dimmer?

I've had Autometer in all my cars, and I'm absolutely tired of their selection and want something new. Also if you're building a triple pod similar to the Mugen one, I might be interested in purchasing one from you. I've been looking at this and thinking about modifying it: Mitsubishi Evolution 7 8 9 Triple Dash Gauge Pod | eBay They also make them out of carbon fiber as well for about $150: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mits...iber-Dash-Triple-Gauge-Pod-LHD/468151207.html

#26 ·
I've got a bunch of questions about the Glowshifts:
1. How close does the blue match the rest of the interior blue?
2. Did you use the oil filter adapter to hook up the oil sending units?
3. How bright are the gauges when they dim? Do you have them hooked up to the dimmer?

I've had Autometer in all my cars, and I'm absolutely tired of their selection and want something new. Also if you're building a triple pod similar to the Mugen one, I might be interested in purchasing one from you. I've been looking at this and thinking about modifying it: Mitsubishi Evolution 7 8 9 Triple Dash Gauge Pod | eBay They also make them out of carbon fiber as well for about $150: Mitsubishi Evolution EVO 7 8 9 Carbon Fiber Dash Triple Gauge Pod (LHD)-in Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com
1)I got the 10 color series just because they have peak recalls. There are 2 different blues, a lighter one and a darker one. They match pretty good.
2)Yes you have to use the sandwhich block for the sending units (easy install)
3)they are pretty bright at night without dim and im currently trying to figure out where to splice the dim wire to or which fuse to tap to be able to get them to dim when my headlights turn on.

as soon as I create one I will post pics and have some for sale. I got to school full time so it gets pretty hard to dedicate time to it. They will be out of carbon. I dont think I would try to use a different cars gauge cluster because then you have fitment issues and other problems.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the balloons for?

Ok so Ill pardon yours if you pardon mine hahaha what are balloons? Are you referring to the gauges?

#31 ·
Glowshift has installation videos for most of their gauges on their website, so no need really for a diy. The only differences are from car to car. Every gauge setup could be different too, the only same parts needed would be sending components such as sandwhich adapter, and hose adapter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.