Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1,401 - 1,420 of 1,464 Posts
It's to do with the size of the bezel opening. For some reason, it's identical to the outside widths of the Pioneer unit itself. I feel like if I trimmed it completely flat it would look significantly stranger than it does already.
I'm not really sure that "strange looking" is something we need to be concerned about in the Z's dash.

I didn't know this other badge existed, honestly. Shane helped me out on the pricing for these two, so I was only in $100 for the pair, but it's still a piss off.
Here's the thread about it, which used to have a lovely picture of the badge which I can't believe I didn't capture, and seems to be gone now (Photophucket?). Simple black badge with matte-silver lettering of the CR-Z logo. Perhaps only for RHD cars, I guess the mounting tabs may be different on the back (Why?) like the hazard flasher button, but it's plastic. Mix up some JB Weld.

That badge and the Zeta arm rest are two of my Grails, but no luck so far. I don't even know what markets got the badge. Part number 77955-SZT-J21, apparently. About $40, down from Honda's $60 (seriously? Why?)

Thread: http://www.crzforum.com/forum/interior-ice-discussion/12760-dashboard-logo.html

There. More of your money spent. My work here is done. (Order two when you do. My birthday's in July.)

Discussion starter · #1,402 ·
Successful day with tuning performed by Sasha Anis of OnPoint Dyno!

Edit: Posted late last night and didn't have the effort to write a blurb. It's morning now and I've had my coffee, so here are my thoughts...

Car drives so much different than it did previously with the off-the-shelf calibration from Hondata. The idle is significantly more consistent, and the way it pulls through the rev range is smoothed right out. It's much more akin to a 'stock' feeling car now, which is definitely what I wanted. As a street car, I was hoping it would maintain some of the OEM drive-ability characteristics, and after having Sasha work his magic, it does just that.

It's funny, because after driving the S2000 for a little bit the other day, I felt a bit of apprehension towards my car. The S2000's engine is entirely stock, and it's mannerisms are fantastic, as you'd expect from an OEM drivetrain. I was a little disappointed that my car didn't share the same traits after the swap. Sure, it made some decent power, and most certainly would pull lengths on the S2000 in a straight line - but it just didn't feel as nice. Thankfully all that is now remedied with this bespoke tune.

I opted to have the car tuned on 91 octane rather than 94, as I'd never have to worry about finding specific gas stations when I'm out and about. Power peaked at 208whp, which is a remarkable number from a stock K20Z3. I'll post the dyno plot when Bryson emails it over.

All in all very pleased with yesterday's proceedings and Sasha's effort and diligence.

Quick video of a full chat pull;

K20Z3 CR-Z x OnPoint Dyno by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

K20Z3 CR-Z Dyno Plot by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Discussion starter · #1,405 ·
Very cool but um, what are the numbers? ?
Peak was 208whp, but I'm unsure of torque as I haven't seen the dyno plot yet.

Interesting alternative to a rolling road. I'd not seen that before.
These are becoming increasingly popular due to how modular the pods are. Lots of race series will dyno cars at the racetrack if appealed, and this is by-and-far the easiest method of doing so. Don't need to worry about strapping a car down, tire slippage or wear.

Discussion starter · #1,407 ·
For Sale: Factory Nav Head Unit & Bezel

FOR SALE!

Totally forgot I had this kicking around still. Hazard switch and airbag light included with sale, as they're different from all other models for some strange reason.

Asking $200 CAD + shipping to whoever wants it. Will ship FedEx at buyers expense. Located in Hamilton, Ontario.

Factory Nav Unit by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Discussion starter · #1,408 ·
Not much to report, although I did have my first encounter with the boys in blue since the car's been back on the road...

Player Haters by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Cruisey Bud by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

They didn't appear to like the amount of noise myself and the S2000 were allegedly making. Thankfully we weren't actually breaking any laws, and avoided any tickets. I think they just wanted something to do and hoped we were up to some sh*t.

I did end up removing the crankcase EVAC system from my exhaust. Whilst incredibly effective, the smoke screen left behind from burning the crank case vapour after some hard pulls was a touch embarrassing. The vapour would then pool as oil in the line when I shut the car down, so upon cold starts it would start huffing a little bit of smoke. I hated the smell, it looked awful, so I just disconnected it from the bung and put a plug in there. The line now just vents to atmosphere in the exhaust tunnel, and there's no more smokey exhaust.

Might have a catch can built for the application, but in the interim I'm content with my current solution.

Discussion starter · #1,411 ·
Lol maybe they hoped to take your car away. They've had a crackdown on street racing in York Region and there was the street race on the QEW recently... There was a fatality.

Glad the swap is working out great after the tune. Was that costly? (it looked pretty unique for a dyno to be honest)
That accident happened the same day, just later in the evening remarkably. I had a bunch of missed calls from a friend the following morning who'd seen the news, and all they disclosed was 'a 26 year old male was killed in a street racing incident last night'. As I fit the description, he assumed it was me.

The tune was about $700, but worth every penny. It just optimizes all the changes I'd made and ensures everything is working cohesively and as-intended.

Nice job! Good to see hard numbers to back up all that hard work.

Surprised that little fan is enough to keep things running smoothly though - the ECU doesn't pull power from overheating / lack of airflow?

This is how we do it in our little town...

:wink2:
(all outside air, too)

Reactions: Spdbump and litz
Discussion starter · #1,414 ·
Nice job! Good to see hard numbers to back up all that hard work.

Surprised that little fan is enough to keep things running smoothly though - the ECU doesn't pull power from overheating / lack of airflow?
The car's cooling system is actually remarkably efficient! That's one thing I was worried about initially, but I've got no concerns now what so ever. I don't think the engine even got hot enough to trigger my fans on the dyno - she cools off real well.

Discussion starter · #1,417 ·
Peeled the cover off and decided to finally clay bar and wax the old girl. It could really use a proper cut, polish and ceramic coat, but I'll wait another year before I commit that sort of cash to the project again. I find this process incredibly satisfying anyways, despite how laborious it can be.

All these photos are pre-detailing. I plan on taking it for a drive next weekend if the weather's nice, so I'll shoot some photos outside.

Wax On, Wax Off by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Wax On, Wax Off by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Wax Day by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

K20Z3 CR-Z Exhaust by Oliver Flower, on Flickr

Been on the track with it yet, Rustbucket?

We might get the chance to get to TMP Cayuga later this summer, and i'd love to connect with you there if you go.

1,401 - 1,420 of 1,464 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.