Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Rumormill: Honda CR-Z Type-R in the works

The rumormongers at AutoExpress are at it again, donning their speculative fedoras and suggesting that a 200-horsepower Honda CR-Z Type-R is on the way. But if you were hoping for a K20 swap to ditch the hybrid setup, you're in for a disappointment.

In stock form, the production CR-Z unveiled in Detroit makes due with a 102 hp 1.5-liter four-cylinder mated to an electric motor good for an additional 20 ponies. If AE is to be believed, Honda and its internal tuning partner, Mugen, plans to up the output of the stock four-pot to approximately 150 hp. Since the CR-Z was designed from the onset to be a hybrid, apparently Honda just can't swap in the 2.0-liter engine from the Euro-Civic and call it a day. Instead, a beefed-up electric motor will be fitted – reportedly good for another 50 hp – and bringing total output up to 200 hp.

Naturally, the transformation won't just be under the hood. A reworked suspension, upgraded brakes and a smattering of body mods will be included in the package, along with an additional driving mode (bringing the total to three), "Sport Plus" which will reportedly modify throttle response, steering, the start-stop system and the electric motor assist.

If the Type-R comes to fruition, expect it to debut at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show, with the production version arriving sometime in 2012.

Rumormill: Honda CR-Z Type-R in the works — Autoblog

If it's true...we're not going to see it here in the US.:cursing:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it came to the US the price point might work against it. 200 hp from a hybrid sits right inside but if it costs anywhere near what the Mugen Si costs... $30,000+....
The Mugen Si was a flop. $30k+ for an Si with no engine work and get this..no navi!!??:cursing:

Again...I doubt we'll see an Type R here ever again.
This will come as an Si form.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
The Mugen Si was a flop when they decided not to add Navi... I mean I was really ready to trade in my '06 Si for one... so close i was at the dealer negotiating the price down to something i was comfy with (got him down to about $22k OTD)... but the fact that there was no Navi it completely killed the deal for me...

sorry for the offtopic chatter :)

i doubt it will come out at all... in fact these specs are so far out of what Honda will release even if this thing did make it... i mean, the L15 wasn't exactly designed for maximum horsepower... at 150hp suggested by the OP... that would put it at 100hp/Liter range which Honda reserves that for higher sports car... hell the current gen Si is 98.5hp/Liter...

now speaking of the electric motor... i'm not an expert in the field but it seems that getting 50hp out of the electric motor is NOT something Honda is ever going to do anytime soon... someone correct me if i'm wrong but torque is ALWAYS higher than horsepower in electric motors... that would mean this motor would have specs close to something like this 50hp/210tq... bringing the total hp/tq on the "CR-Z Type R" to around 200hp/300tq+... can anyone say torque steer like a mofo and wheelspin???

great idea... great concept... but those specs just seem toooooo far off for me to even consider it being true...

a "CR-Z Type R/Si" would be more believable with something like a 1.8L (R18) built for higher revs around 8,000 redline... and a better electric motor like the current one on the HCHII (Honda Civic Hybrid 2)... those specs would still have the CR-Z R/Si at around 160-170hp and around 170-180tq... not bad if that was to happen...

·
Registered
13 Posts
well but the type-R is the highest honda performance package, Si is like the slimmed down US version so if the Si Civic gets 98.5 hp/liter i could see a CRZ type R getting that much as well.

With the engine, it all comes down to gearing, if you really wanted an electric engine to produce mostly hp and had enough space for the gears then you could make it happen... though i dont know why you would do that to an electric motor since their main positive is making instantaneous torque.... doesnt make sense, so yes i would tend to agree with you that a type R would probably be more like 170 hp/170 torque

thought in the end.... doesnt matter.... cause it sounds like they arent planning on sending it to the US.... we can hope for a CRZ si, but chances are they wont do that for a year or two... they will do that right after i give up and buy a Civic Si hahaha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.