Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Toyota's MR2 May Return As A Hybrid

Ever since Honda announced the CR-Z hybrid sports coupe, there have been rumors going around about the possibility of a corresponding Toyota model.

Just to make it clear, we haven't heard anything official, but Japan's Best Car magazine is reporting/speculating/imagining (take your pick) that Toyota may revive the MR2 as a hybrid model called the MR-S to compete with Honda's CR-Z coupe that will go on sale in 2010.

Source: Toyota's MR2 May Return As A Hybrid - AutoSpies Auto News

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would love to see Toyota release a competitor, although Toyota did not intend the MR2 to be a CRX competitor in the first place (less interior room in the MR2, mid-engine vs front engine, RWD vs FWD). I feel like the MR2 and MX-5 were more similar in nature, although I guess as the years progressed all 3 (CRX,MX-5,MR2) became regarded as 3 of the best budget track/tunable cars available regardless of their layout differences... So I guess NOW they are considered competitors thanks to the enthusiasts.

I want to see Toyota release the MR2 Hybrid (or some kind of CRZ competitor), AND Honda release a competitor for the FT86 concept car that is being released in the next year or so... How about a revived PRELUDE? That way Honda can go back to having at least 1 RWD car (now that the S2000 is gone, and Prelude should not have been FWD in the first place) that would compete with the Genesis Coupe, Toyota FT86 and Subaru FT86.

FWD 200 HP CRZ Si and RWD 240 HP Prelude Type SH would look great in Honda's lineup!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
That would be awesome if they came out and releaes a new Prelude. I just don't think that is the way Honda is going these days, I think the CR-Z will be the last we see of the revived old Honda cars that we all came to love.

I never was a fan of the MR-2, maybe Toyota can win me back with a good look, sporty new released MR2.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dunno, but I think the CR-Z has a very tough alternative coming from Hyundai for 2011. It actually looks to be following the concept very, very closely...which could result in one heck of a looker with potentially more options than the CR-Z. If this thing truly packs 140 HP out of a car with the weight and size of an Accent, returns 40+ MPG without a hybrid plant, and starts between $13-$15K with a turbo option for under $20K...I'm through with the CR-Z if it's over $20K to start and doesn't push higher MPG ratings:

IL Exclusive: 2012 Hyundai Veloster Will Get 140 hp and Direct Injection

2012 Hyundai Veloster Coupe First Spy Photos

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.