Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So I've been looking into upgrading the brakes on my CRZ. Im planning on doing both the front and rear.

I saw some really interesting posts regarding swapping out the front pads and rotors with RSX-S pads and rotors. There's a great guide by meatguy87 about this:

There's also another thread with a link to a parts list, but it seems like the link no longer works.

In another thread, ITEM9 suggests this setup:

I compiled my own parts list as best I could, but would feel better if someone looked it over. So far I purchased:
  • Brembo NAO Ceramic Brake Pads (front and back) for a 2006 S2000.
  • 2 Refurbished Front Caliper Brackets for a 2006 S2000.
  • 1 Disk Brake Hardware Set for a 2006 S2000
  • 2 Brembo Blank Rotors (Front) for a 2006 RSX-S.
  • 2 Centric Rotors (Rear) for a 2016 CRZ.
Here's the RockAuto receipt if it helps.

Is there anything else I need? Meatguy suggests spare rotor screws. I couldn't find these, but maybe im overthinking it? Should I get a hardware kit for the rear brakes? Is there anything that's just wrong?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Curious.. would I still be able to run the OEM wheels if I was to do this brake & rotor mod in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
What year is your Z? I was under the impression the '16 Z got the electric parking brake and the rear rotors weren't compatible with earlier years. Could be wrong, but would be worth checking.
Double check that the front rotors are for a Type S, the base RSX had smaller rotors.

RSX-S front rotors/calipers do fit under stock wheels, at least on a '13 EX

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year is your Z? I was under the impression the '16 Z got the electric parking brake and the rear rotors weren't compatible with earlier years. Could be wrong, but would be worth checking.
Double check that the front rotors are for a Type S, the base RSX had smaller rotors.

RSX-S front rotors/calipers do fit under stock wheels, at least on a '13 EX
Shoot. Yeah I have an '11. Thanks for catching that, I had no idea the rear rotors weren't all compatible. You just saved me some heartache. I'll swap them out for ones for a 2011.
I just double checked the front rotors. They are for the type s. So we're good on those.

As far as the rear hardware, I should be buying the clips for a CRZ and not an s2k, right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have ep3 type front discs and calipers, fits under stock wheels. I though s2000 discs and calipers needed be shimmed

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
the thing that isn't covered here is that you will also lose your stock dust shield. I went with all RSX-S (which is the 2.0L I4) front components as this was the easiest kit to buy on RA. The calipers and pads are the same as CRZ, but the brackets and rotors are slightly larger diameter.

The RSX-S kit does fill out the stock 16" wheels pretty nicely.

I'm currently using this setup for the rears, which also requires tossing the dust shield:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the thing that isn't covered here is that you will also lose your stock dust shield. I went with all RSX-S (which is the 2.0L I4) front components as this was the easiest kit to buy on RA. The calipers and pads are the same as CRZ, but the brackets and rotors are slightly larger diameter.

The RSX-S kit does fill out the stock 16" wheels pretty nicely.

I'm currently using this setup for the rears, which also requires tossing the dust shield:
This is really cool. Im not planning on doing any calipers at the moment, but I might end up doing this in the future.

·
Registered
79 Posts
was another Z parked next to mine day after install, one's left and one's right so don't mind the caliper position.
stock:
View attachment 62154

RSX-S:
View attachment 62155

View attachment 62156
Whoa!.. I did not expect it to be that significant.

Looks like I'm returning these brand new brake and rotor set I got from R1 Concepts to get the Type-S'!

Good thing I lagged in installing them. Haha.

Thanks for the pic!!!

Also @OP what's a disc brake hardware kit?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also @OP what's a disc brake hardware kit?
My understanding is that a disk brake hardware kit is essentially just a collection of the miscellaneous parts (clips, guide pin boots, etc) that hold the pad in place. If you buy a complete brake kit, these are usually included anyways.
If you look at the DIY write-up, meatguy87 mentions that if you buy refurbished caliper brackets, you need to buy the corresponding clips. I am hoping that these are included in this kit. That being said, they may just come with the brake pads anyways. It was cheap, so I figured it was worth a shot.
Here's a screen shot from the DIY if it helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed the front brakes on Thursday. I ended up using all of the parts I ordered on this list. I didn't need to purchase anything else other than standard brake job stuff (antiseize, brake lube, loctite, etc). While fitment was very snug, it all bolted together. I didn't have to bleed the brake lines or anything, and the only thing that needed modifying was the dust shield. Wasn't too bad, but had a few hiccups.
1) The disk brake hardware kit I ordered turned out to just be a set of brake pad brackets and a set of rubber boots for the caliper guide pins. My caliper guide pin boots were all in good shape, and the brake pads came with brackets anyways. So, in theory, a person doing this could probably completely omit the hardware kit if they wanted. It would suck to get this far and find they needed replacing, but that's your call. There weren't any mysterious missing brackets like I believed there were. I just misread the DIY.
2) As 96firephoenix mentioned, the dust covers are an issue. I cut mine off to clear the rotors. However, even if you cut them off, you still need to bend them back a little, or they will rub against the rotors and make a horrific screeching noise. Make SURE your to check that your rotors clear your dust covers or you will need to disassemble the whole thing, bend them back, and then reassemble them again. Don't ask me how I know this.
3) Get yourself a cheap impact screwdriver for those rotor screws. Change your life. Those things are in there. If they still aren't coming out it's not that the screwdriver is broken, it's that you aren't hitting it hard enough. Swing away, Merrill.

As far as first impressions go, I didn't notice all that much immediately. The brake pedal feels maybe a bit stiffer. The steering is a shade heavier, but not in a bad way. I was sort of unimpressed initially. When you don't need them, they behave a lot like the old brakes.
It's different when you stand on them. Especially with good tires. This thing STOPS. I had someone cut me off today and pressed em hard for the first time. Almost put my head into the steering wheel. Watch out for that. It's a big difference.
Doing the rear brakes in a few days.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thank you for the picture and DETAILED follow up man!!!👍👍

For cutting the dust cover, I presume dremel is the way to go?

Thanks for clarifying the hardware kit... It's one of those "better safe than sorry" kinda deals.

but could possibly be a low-key nickle & dime scheme" too 😂

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't done the rear ones yet. To be honest, the rears will look identical to stock because I'm just using replacement crz rotors. I also didn't take any "before" pictures.

As a sidebar, and this may be common sense, but: while the stock wheels may fit over the new front rotors, the spare supplied with the car will not. Or at least, my spare tire didn't. PITA when you're on the side of the road and all you have is the scissor jack that came with it. Just a heads up.

·
Super Moderator
6,098 Posts
Many CR-Zs have no spare. Due to a brake upgrade on my previous car I could not run the spare on the front axle and luckily I never had a flat but was prepared to pull a rear wheel move it to the front and install spare on rear if I was at side of the road. With The Speed Bump the one flat I had happened in my drive way and I had the car towed. I had broken the stem off the TPMS. The other low pressure warning I had I used the inflator without the goop and drove car to a dealer. Tire was repaired. There has been too much discussion of the low probability of flats and most of us have cell phones , road hazard and other ways to get the vehicle with a flat repaired . You make an upgrade where spare does not fit you can either get a bigger spare or just carry a plug kit and the inflator or your cell phone and the number for your road hazard. My road hazard is $15 a year.

I haven't done the rear ones yet. To be honest, the rears will look identical to stock because I'm just using replacement crz rotors. I also didn't take any "before" pictures.

As a sidebar, and this may be common sense, but: while the stock wheels may fit over the new front rotors, the spare supplied with the car will not. Or at least, my spare tire didn't. PITA when you're on the side of the road and all you have is the scissor jack that came with it. Just a heads up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts