Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my CR-Z (automatic) for about a month now. About 2-3 times I have noticed that as I am breaking and about to come to a complete stop (right before engine turns off), on a slight incline, my car rolls backwards about 1 foot in length. I am going to take the car to the dealer tomorrow, but i am afraid they aren't going to be able to diagnose the problem....anyone else having this issue?

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
First - Welcome to the Forum.. and congrats on your purchase.. :hi5: What are you driving? CVT or 6MT and what model/color did you get?

My experience in the CVT is that every now and then it will roll back a bit when in autostop and let off to hit the gas. A lot of variable depending on grade etc.. Definitely not a perfect system but works adequately for my purposes..

·
Registered
32 Posts
First - Welcome to the Forum.. and congrats on your purchase.. :hi5: What are you driving? CVT or 6MT and what model/color did you get?

My experience in the CVT is that every now and then it will roll back a bit when in autostop and let off to hit the gas. A lot of variable depending on grade etc.. Definitely not a perfect system but works adequately for my purposes..
I guess the CVT model doesn't have hill assist? I actually kinda wish the 6MT didn't have it.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
^ Ah.. sorry, I see now said you had an auto aka CVT. It is also supposed to prevent you from any roll backwards but is somewhat - eh - "situational". Had the same with my previous Civic Hybrid. Works most the time, but sometimes takes a second to engage the tranny when in auto stop and moving from the brake to the gas...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm confused are you rolling backwards after you are fully stopped when you transfer from brake pedal to gas to accelerate up the hill or as you are coming to a stop? If your foot is on the brake you shouldn't be able to roll backwards.

As far as the hill assist off I kind of agree. I don't mind it too much when it gets the 1 sec of hold but I park on a pretty big hill at a friends and it literally holds the brakes for about 3 seconds when its a steep grade and I'm usually ready to roll in like 1 second. I wonder if the dealer can adjust that via the computer.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I'm confused are you rolling backwards after you are fully stopped when you transfer from brake pedal to gas to accelerate up the hill or as you are coming to a stop? If your foot is on the brake you shouldn't be able to roll backwards.

As far as the hill assist off I kind of agree. I don't mind it too much when it gets the 1 sec of hold but I park on a pretty big hill at a friends and it literally holds the brakes for about 3 seconds when its a steep grade and I'm usually ready to roll in like 1 second. I wonder if the dealer can adjust that via the computer.
If you are stopped on a hill and auto stop is engaged with your foot on the brake - let off the brake and the time between going from the brake to the gas, the CVT will sometimes roll back a bit. In my experience, infrequent - but, sometimes.. Going back to my 07 Civic Hybrid.... Was never able to isolate to a specific situation.. But never really had any big issues with it..

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have owned my CR-Z (automatic) for about a month now. About 2-3 times I have noticed that as I am breaking and about to come to a complete stop (right before engine turns off), on a slight incline, my car rolls backwards about 1 foot in length. I am going to take the car to the dealer tomorrow, but i am afraid they aren't going to be able to diagnose the problem....anyone else having this issue?
The CVT needs revs (a bit more than idle) to tightens up the chain over the cones inside the transmission. As you mention "right before engine turn off", I guess rpm has dropped to a point where it causes the chain being not tight enough.
If CR-Z's CVT uses clutches for engage and disengage drive (I'm not sure on this but the JDM Insight does) , it can also be a reason causing roll back. As at the moment it disengage from drive, you aren't pressing the brake deep enough so the car rolls backward.

I drive 6MT so I don't have this issue. I think it's just a normal CVT behaviour.
However, you should bring it to dealer when you don't feel right with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an automatic CVT, and I have noticed this behavior when I'm pointed up an incline, doesn't have to be a really steep incline. Here's what happens (not often, just a handful of times):

1. Identify the need to come to a stop
2. Depress the brake pedal
3. Car comes to a stop, and engages Auto Shut off
4. Need to move forward
5. Release brake pedal
6. Car rolls backward for a split second around the time the engine restarts
7. Depress the accelerator and all is well

What I haven't tried (because I've always had cars behind me), is seeing what would happen if I did nothing. That is, If I released the brake pedal after a stop, and did NOT depress the accelerator. Would the car keep rolling backward? My gut tells me it wouldn't.

Cheers

·
Banned
614 Posts
I have 4 Buddies that Drive the CRZ's I asked them this question to help you out. But neither of them said they had a problem... I don't know maybe the Factory ****ed it up, If anything take it to your local dealer and see what's wrong. You have warranty so no need to be worried.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are stopped on a hill and auto stop is engaged with your foot on the brake - let off the brake and the time between going from the brake to the gas, the CVT will sometimes roll back a bit. In my experience, infrequent - but, sometimes.. Going back to my 07 Civic Hybrid.... Was never able to isolate to a specific situation.. But never really had any big issues with it..
Exactly like this. Happens infrequently. I've chalked it up to normal behavior. The fact that it doesn't happen when on flat ground, or downhill (as one wouldn't notice, the car would roll forward), seems to confirm Scott's theory above.

Cheers,
Sal

·
Ridin' Nerdy
3,578 Posts
I experienced this a plethora amount of times and I only figured because when the auto shut off puts the vehicle in a state of sleep or nuetral and between the wake up time, it gradually re inserts into gear. When you drive in econ mode and going down a hill, the car will coast while you are slightly on the gas still. Though, if you let the gas off, it will bog the motor. Aloe off factors play in effect and I am still developing with it, but if you are afraid half brake get slightly on the gas to wake the motor and ease off the brake to prevent the roll back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is the fact auto-stop has engaged, think of it like a neutral ... let's say you drove a stick, you take it out of gear and are coasting up an incline to a stop. If you don't have the brake pedal pressed hard enough, you may roll back a bit.

I think your problem would be solved by just slight more brake pedal pressure ;) I drove an 05 Civic Hybrid CVT for years, auto-stop takes time to adjust to it, it is a major change for people coming from cars that are always in drive and engaged.

When first driving the vehicle, it almost felt as the car was accelerating in auto-stop, though it was actually just not longer decellerating at the same rate. You learn that at about 5 mph, when auto-stop kicks in, if you need it, press the brake harder. Otoh, you can get to 5 mph, and coast, there is a sweet spot where your brake pedal is depressed but not really causing drag, and you can get a good amount of distance to a stop light with the engine in auto-stop. I've managed to coast the car 50+ feet before at that 4/5 mph speed, even on a downhill slope, pick up speed and auto-stop stayed engaged!!!

Just take some time to get used to the function of this feature called 'auto-stop', when on an uphill, just know to use a slightly more aggressive braking force.

Hope that helped some.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.