Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Road Trip Tales

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  lectricman 
#1 ·
So I had a road trip today about 2.5 hours out of town.

Like any good hypermiler, I wanted to run it down to the absolute minimum before fueling up - so at range of 19 miles I checked the nav system and saw there was one in about 14 miles, so I passed the gas stations and kept going.

I finally got into 9 miles left, and gave in - navigating to the closest gas station as indicated by the nav.

When I got there, I was horrified to discover it was closed for renovations! All pumps had plastic on the handles. I checked for the next closest station: 6.6 miles away. Current range indicated in the car: 2!

So now I am sweating it. The range quickly dropped to 0 and stayed there for what seemed like an eternity while I held my breath and hoped it would make it to the next station.

To my great relief, I made it! And interestingly enough, it would only accept 9.8 gallons of fuel which would seem to indicate there was another .8 gallons left, right? I guess the indicated range is very pessimistic!

After I fueled up, I got the best mileage I have ever seen on the car:

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Scotty, I definitely don't plan to take it down that far again! I was really sweating it.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I actually outran a tornado and hail today on the way home, in fact. It was in Corsicana.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
My dad (a fellow hypermiler and Prius driver) ran out recently - 0 means 0 on those cars too.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Well, ah, actually there Sammy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.