Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a road trip today about 2.5 hours out of town.

Like any good hypermiler, I wanted to run it down to the absolute minimum before fueling up - so at range of 19 miles I checked the nav system and saw there was one in about 14 miles, so I passed the gas stations and kept going.

I finally got into 9 miles left, and gave in - navigating to the closest gas station as indicated by the nav.

When I got there, I was horrified to discover it was closed for renovations! All pumps had plastic on the handles. I checked for the next closest station: 6.6 miles away. Current range indicated in the car: 2!

So now I am sweating it. The range quickly dropped to 0 and stayed there for what seemed like an eternity while I held my breath and hoped it would make it to the next station.

To my great relief, I made it! And interestingly enough, it would only accept 9.8 gallons of fuel which would seem to indicate there was another .8 gallons left, right? I guess the indicated range is very pessimistic!

After I fueled up, I got the best mileage I have ever seen on the car:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
So I had a road trip today about 2.5 hours out of town.

Like any good hypermiler, I wanted to run it down to the absolute minimum before fueling up - so at range of 19 miles I checked the nav system and saw there was one in about 14 miles, so I passed the gas stations and kept going.

I finally got into 9 miles left, and gave in - navigating to the closest gas station as indicated by the nav.

When I got there, I was horrified to discover it was closed for renovations! All pumps had plastic on the handles. I checked for the next closest station: 6.6 miles away. Current range indicated in the car: 2!
So now I am sweating it. The range quickly dropped to 0 and stayed there for what seemed like an eternity while I held my breath and hoped it would make it to the next station.
To my great relief, I made it! And interestingly enough, it would only accept 9.8 gallons of fuel which would seem to indicate there was another .8 gallons left, right? I guess the indicated range is very pessimistic!
Whew.. :rolleyes: But yea, Found with my Hybrid Civic, a good margin of error was built in. As with most cars.

This may be arguable, but not sure I would take my tank down that far on a routine basis. After a while that last little bit of gas may not be the best thing for the ride?

I fueled up, I got the best mileage I have ever seen on the car:
Good stuff. I'm still stuck in Sport and on a long trip through the mountains, hills, twisties etc, I don't think I hit 43+ at 176 miles.. Yea, good job...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scotty, I definitely don't plan to take it down that far again! I was really sweating it.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
Scotty, I definitely don't plan to take it down that far again! I was really sweating it.
Yea, :hi5: I like to take down to 2 bars - just when the light comes on. I think about 1.5 to 2 gallons. My better half has a fit if she is riding with me.. I'm at the first gas station she sees. Ah, domestic bliss. And of course, the wise way is to keep the tank full as much as possible. Never know when you have to get out of town, out run a tornado, long power outages, or other similar situations.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually outran a tornado and hail today on the way home, in fact. It was in Corsicana.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
Yep, remember those days... (home is Arlington) A full tank of gas is always a good thing from a personal perspective...

·
Registered
270 Posts
:) Good story! Thanks for sharing.

My husband's first BMW stranded him a few times, when it said 0 miles, he had 0 miles (and once he even ran out of gas BEFORE then).

Since we drive Sherman so much, we pretty much need to stop & get gas every 2-3 days (on average). So we really let it run down. I've gone a good 15+ miles after the range indicator hit 0, and I don't think we've ever put in more than 10 gallons (usually put in between 8.5 & 9.5 gal). I definitely wouldn't recommend running it down that low (esp in bad weather!), but it's good to know that you still have somewhere around 0.5-1 gallon left when you hit 0 miles (just in case!).

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dad (a fellow hypermiler and Prius driver) ran out recently - 0 means 0 on those cars too.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I am taking Quorra on her first road trip to L.A. for a funeral on Thursday. I have to go over the Grape Vine mountains so this should be interesting.

I read somewhere that fuel gage was built in to be underrated so that there is supposed to be either a 1.6 or 1.5 "reserve". Yeah it's not good to run it low, all your water, dirt and debris settle at the bottom of the tank. Granted the fuel pick up is not at the bottom of the tank but it's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I actually ran mine out of gas ( I had a gallon container to refill in the trunk )

got about 42 miles after it said I had 0 left--

So I always run it about 20-25 miles after it says 0, no probs doing that, & i usually refill 10.2 - 10.4 gallons ( I squeeze 2 extra clicks in )

·
Registered
609 Posts
The weather here in Texas is crazy so I don't let any of the cars get below 1/4 tank as you never know what is around the corner (wild fires in my area now, but normally hurricanes, floods and the occasional tornado). Not to mention if you wait a few hours to fill up, the price is $.10 higher:angry:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nice to hear you achieved your best avg yet. Glad you are safe!!! It can get dangerous out there when you run it that low. Don't know who you would meet if get stranded out there with no gas left. Not to mention natural disaster as stated by Scotty.

I would like to concur that you do not run on empty no matter what. The risk of bottom tank contaminant can cause clogging of the fuel pump, fuel filter, and or the fuel injectors. Even though low risk since cars has been designed better but nonetheless a risk. The big risk factor, IMHO, is you could damage the fuel pump inside the fuel tank. I was told by a friend, a mechanic, that fuel actually acts as a cooler for the fuel pump. When you run too low on fuel, you leave the fuel pump exposed with no fuel to cool the pump; risking overheating the pump. You might not damage the pump immediately but you are pressing your luck. (Hence, the low fuel sign comes up even though you still have 1 gallon of gas left. That one gallon acts to cool the fuel pump.) Fuel pump replacement is costly.

My 2 cents. Tried to leave some fuel in a tank approximate 1/8 of tank.

·
Registered
609 Posts
RE Dio's post - I'm watching FOX news out of Houston and the story they are covering right now is fuel pumps "sucking air" on corners when drivers let the tank get low, causing premature fuel pump failure.

·
Registered
609 Posts
News story ended with a warning not to let the car below 1/4 tank to prevent problems in cars with smaller tanks.

Just checked out the article - did you see the comment from one of the people "I like to keep the tank at lest half full, cheap insurance for when the next earthquake, hurricane, or zombie apocalypse strikes." not too many zombies around here yet, but then I never thought we would have wild fires in humid Houston:lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice mileage! I actually work up in the Frisco area and noticed you're from there. Any chance you bought from David McDavid like me? Anyway, I'm only at about 1500mi on my Z and am averaging about 39.8-40mpg per tank so far. I wonder if the relatively flat landscape of North Dallas is helping us get what would seem to be above average mpg for this vehicle?

·
Registered
375 Posts
News story ended with a warning not to let the car below 1/4 tank to prevent problems in cars with smaller tanks.

Just checked out the article - did you see the comment from one of the people "I like to keep the tank at lest half full, cheap insurance for when the next earthquake, hurricane, or zombie apocalypse strikes." not too many zombies around here yet, but then I never thought we would have wild fires in humid Houston:lol:
:rotfl:

Wow...the news story suggest 1/4 tank? That's a bit high. IMO.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts

Yea - probably a lot of interest playing into the report - ummm. Oil companies - get your gas while it is priced to our advantage... If you don't your screwed.. (note: it is true - not a good idea to run off the last drops as sediment and other factors can impact your) - but sure, the oil companies are going to play on it. .25 of the tank, yea, I don't see that as a problem.. But Exxon and others do...
:rolleyes:

EDIT: There may be some truth on the 1/4 tank on small cars with extremely high mileage.. Stuff is going to build up after time....

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have blamed myself for the following...

I'm not sure if the gas also lubricates the fuel pump. From what I understand if I run out of gas it could damage the fuel pump.

Scenario...

Considering this, my car down the road starts to jerk and stall from time to time and I start to wonder what is up with my car??

Will it come to mind that running out of gas has caused an intermittent problem with the fuel pump?

Some observations concerning fuel mileage increase. I have heard and seems to be true, if I fill the gas tank just before it is
half empty I would get better gas mileage. Something about gas pressure.

Has anyone heard anything like this before?

I'm glad to hear you did not run out of gas, I don't recommend it.

So ends another CRz tail or is this the end...

If my plate in my head says it's true, it must be true. LoL!

CRz for you and me. :hi5:

-Roger

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.