Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed recently that my right headlight is dim and the right fog lamp is burnt out or not illuminating for some reason. Has anyone had a similar experience or can shed some light on this, no pun intended.

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
Has car been hit on that side if not check grounds and wiring. Try moving bulbs from working side to side with issue and the reverse see if issue follows bulbs or stays on damaged side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I hit a deer about two years ago. The right fender, hood and headlight assembly were replaced. Everything worked fine until recently.

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
Try moving good bulbs to that side if they do not work then wiring if they do buy all new bulbs for both sides. If EX with HID bulbs do not leave either headlight with no bulb it can cause a fire! HID is High Voltage.

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
Check for a blown RH headlight fuse.
These web pages shows all the fuses and what they are below is all related to the headlights from these web pages. Both fog lights share one fuse so might be bad bulb or other wiring issue.
9 Fog Light (option) 20 A
28 Headlight Main 20 A
32 Right Headlight Low (Vehicle with halogen bulb low beam headlights) 10 A
32 Right Headlight Low (HID) (Vehicle with discharge headlights) 15 A
34 Left Headlight Low (Vehicle with halogen bulb low beam headlights) 10 A
34 Left Headlight High (Vehicle with discharge headlights) 10 A
41 - (Vehicle with halogen bulb low beam headlights) -
41 Daytime Running Lights (Vehicle with discharge headlights) 7.5 A
48 Left Headlight High (Vehicle with halogen bulb low beam headlights) 10 A
48 Left Headlight Low (HID) (Vehicle with discharge headlights) 15 A
51 Right Headlight High 10 A

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok I just looked at the wiring diagrams. In other vehicles a blown fuse can cause this symptom but that doesn't seem to be the case here. It appears that the headlights and fogs share a common ground connection so perhaps that is the issue, maybe a long-delayed effect of the earlier accident.
I'd verify that the bulbs are ok by swapping them to the opposite side, and if they are then troubleshoot the wiring. A multimeter or test light will be very helpful here to track down the problem.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
462 Posts
Are your lights HIDs or halogens? Either way it is possible that hitting the deer damaged the bulbs. Projector lights are very sensitive to the position of the bulbs inside them, so if they move, the light output can drop an insane ammount. As many others have said, start by swapping the left and right bulbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is a large group of ground wires that all connect together near where the horn assembly is located.
Due to the location, these could be affected by corrosion, maybe take the bolt out and take wire brush and make sure the ground eyelet has a nice clean surface.

If you see any green around the wire is bad

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
462 Posts
There is a large group of ground wires that all connect together near where the horn assembly is located.
Due to the location, these could be affected by corrosion, maybe take the bolt out and take wire brush and make sure the ground eyelet has a nice clean surface.

You're right. My Civic has a very similar design and those bolts are very rusted, I think they'd disintegrate if I tried removing them. But my headlights worked fine in that car, though. Still worth a look if all else fails. At this point we're just shooting in the dark because OP has given us very little info

·
Super Moderator
6,490 Posts
Once clean back together and tight some white lithium grease, dielectric grease or even silicone spray will keep it from corroding again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts