Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I am from England. Two weeks ago my driveshaft was broke. From two weeks I searching everyday this part (in every parts shop, scrapyard, groups, mechanics, eBay, marketplace) and I found nothing. I was thinking about buy aftermarket axle from U.S.A - the cost of it it's not expensive (about 200$) but another 200 for delivery to UK. I will start holidays 20 August and I was thinking about big trip with my Z but situation with driveshafts on the internet is so bad. I am interested in used one, new one, original, aftermarket - just something. Anyone can help me with that?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
K swap it and use more common Civic axles. :p

Finding a good set of used axles might be a challenge. No idea what your wrecking yard situation is like over there. As far as new replacements go the only option besides going to Honda and paying $$$$$ are the Cardone units listed for the 12+ and paying that steep shipping. Have you checked with rockauto already on their prices and shipping?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If you don't mind the wait..... Insain Shafts will make you custom 500HP axles that are bulletproof. They take 3-6 weeks to make but... It will be the last set of axles you ever have to buy.

Reactions: litz

·
Registered
22 Posts
One of the reasons the driveshaft snaps is because of the rubber balancing weight, moisture gets trapped under it and rots the steel, if you live in an area where
salt is used on the roads then that exacerbates the corrosion, it only need a millimetre or 2 of difference in thickness for that part to then become weakened and liable
to break, especially if you are a more heavy footed driver taking off from standstill at high revs etc, the longer it rots the more susceptible it becomes, well worth removing
and greasing occasionally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep that's failed due to corrosion, also the driveshafts are made from poor steel and are thin in comparison to older Hondas. I've seen them where the black factory coating
is still present and looks fine, but when removing the balancer found it to be rotten underneath it. I always clean them right back to bare metal, then use a product called
Metamorphosis on the steel, then paint them with POR15, that works wonders on them, never had a Z driveshaft fail yet.

Check under the balancing weight folks, it's well worth the effort and could save you a pile of hassle and money.

I wonder if the Jazz shaft is a possibility, anyone checked them out?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
That's snapped about halfway on the shaft right? Right at the damper that AC/DCRZ is talking about. The inboard CV is still good right?

I was going to say I have CV joints off the car but the one part they don't sell separate is the damn shaft, probably because they're well aware that part has common failure due to corrosion and want to sell the full assembly.

·
Registered
577 Posts
A few sites you can check are Wholesale Parts Express (US), APV Carparts (Germany), and local scrap yards. As mentioned above, RockAuto (US) sells Cardone axles for later CR-Z models that should fit any model year.

Please note that these sites might only sell LHD axles, so RHD might be harder to find. That means scrap yards are your best bet.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't think there is a difference... They don't move the transmission to the other side of the car, just the driver.
I am not sure, so they might be the same. However, I remember someone stating that there is a difference… Maybe someone can confirm it there is a difference or not, so OP can be 100% sure.

If they are the same, I think the Cardone axles from RockAuto are the best and cheapest option by far for people in Europe/UK. Often even cheaper than used axles from scrap yards.

EDIT: These are the prices from RockAuto including shipping costs.

Right axle only:
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Both sides:
Rectangle Font Parallel Paper Paper product

No idea why VAT is only included when buying one axle, but UK people might understand. Another thing I noticed is that shipping to the Netherlands is way cheaper.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Another UK owner has used the cardone shafts and confirms fitment. And notes that the shafts are listed as driver's side and passenger side. So a RHD will be backwards from that.

Driver's side in the listing = left hand side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@TNThomas I was trying to buy CV axle from RockAuto cause price is really good for that but they have only axles for CVT and I heard that axles aren't the same and you can't put it on manual one.
Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay guys, I found the Cardon one - I think that will be best idea but have a little question more. I've got 2010 CRZ and OEM for that is
44305-szt-g01.
The Cardon one has OEM
44305-szt-g51 like for 2013 CRZ.
Will it fit?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
CVT and manual are not cross compatible. I think we all assumed you had the manual as those are the difficult to find shafts.

The 13+ CVT shafts should work on the 10-12. The CVT transmissions are the same other than a single added sensor on the 13+. The manuals did get a bigger inner joint so maybe the same happened for the CVT. Either way the bigger joint doesn't cause any issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay guys, I found the Cardon one - I think that will be best idea but have a little question more. I've got 2010 CRZ and OEM for that is
44305-szt-g01.
The Cardon one has OEM
44305-szt-g51 like for 2013 CRZ.
Will it fit?
I think there is a new crz being broken on ebay as of today...they may have one

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,411 Posts
All years of axle fit all years of car, on either transmission.

·
Registered
577 Posts
All years of axle fit all years of car, on either transmission.

I understand that you mean that all years of axles fit all years cars. However, I don’t understand the last part about transmission type. Do you mean that MT axles also fit CVT cars and vice versa or do you mean that any year MT axle fits and year MT car (and same for CVT axle/car)?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts