Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That Top Gear episode has me irritated.

I've spoken with several CR-Z owners in person - all are fully satisfied with their choice.

So why do so many reviewers trash the thing?

I think it's because the car just doesn't fit into a nice pigeonhole they are used to.

· Registered
1,290 Posts
If you notice in the episode, the guy driving likes it and the guy who only compares stats doesn't. It's always going to be mixed IMHO because there isn't really anything to compare the CR-Z to. Now I gotta go find that route the drove and try it out :) looked way fun...

-Hoi

· Registered
618 Posts
Now I gotta go find that route the drove and try it out :) looked way fun...
That would be Lombard street. On a dare, I drove down it with a Chevy Caprice rental car and 6 passengers. Happily no one threw up.

· Registered
1,390 Posts
I havent seen the review on top gear, but every other forum i am on craps on the CRZ hard. They complain about the things that CRZ owners have already adapted to, like blind spots and such stupid things.

One guy who "test drove" the crz said it has the worst sound system in it! Others just agree because its the general consensus.

Once we get some good aftermarket support we will change peoples minds.

· Registered
2,147 Posts
The sounds system is fine. My original Insight was HORRIBLE!!!

I was disappointed with the 35 MPG I got round trip yesterday over 680 miles, but we were averaging over 70 MPH and had a head wind the first half of the drive and the wind dropped over the second half so the tail wind was lessened.

· Registered
270 Posts
I :wub: our CRZ!!!

I agree reviewers have a hard time with it because they don't know how to classify it, and they aren't very imaginative.

Now, I love Honda, and prior to this CRZ my cars were:
1997 Civic EX coupe (silver)
1996 Civic EX coupe (red)
1996 Civic DX coupe (silver)
1990 Accord sedan (blue)

This is the car I've been waiting for...a SHORTER Honda coupe. I had put off getting a newer model Civic coupe because every time they change the body style it gets longer (I live in the city & need SHORTER to park on the street). I also love the looks/style because of the CRX lineage. When I was a kid my parents had a CRX (for 13 years) and they sold it with 305k+ miles on it! I always loved that car.

Anyway, it's not unexpected or surprising that I love our CRZ. What was unexpected and totally surprising is how much my husband and his parents love the CRZ!

My husband loves European cars. His last 4 cars were 3 BMWs & a Mercedes. He wants a Porsche 911 Turbo. He always made fun of my zippy little Civic coupe & called it the "beater." He always went on & on about how compared to HIS car my car wasn't as comfortable, it didn't handle as well, it wasn't as powerful, it wasn't this or that. He said he'd NEVER drive a Honda. ;)

His parents have only ever bought American cars. THEIR last 4 cars were all huge American SUVs or trucks. Less than 3 weeks after we brought home our CRZ my father-in-law traded in his Ford F350 pick-up for a CRZ after falling in love with our car.

My husband LOVES the CRZ. He loves the seats, the handling, the looks, the 3 modes, the gas mileage, the fact that it takes "regular" gasoline (instead of "premium"), the sound system, the headlights. I could go on. He loves everything about it. He even has been talking about getting a 2ND one, because he wants one too (technically it's supposed to be my commuter car; we only have 1 car right now).

My in-laws LOVE their CRZ. When they first got it, my mother-in-law was going to drive it. Well, my father-in-law loved it so much HE wanted to take it & they started fighting over who got to drive it. It's like one of those commercials where the couple is rushing to get ready in the morning to race out to the driveway to decide who gets to take the CRZ. LOL. They too always said they'd never drive a Japanese car, but now have nothing but good things to say about it.

My in-laws were rear-ended right before Christmas by a pick up at a stop light (the car in front of them slammed on the brakes at a yellow light). My father-in-law managed to keep his foot on the brake, so they didn't slam into the car in front of them. The airbag didn't deploy, their heads hit the headrests perfectly, and when they got out and checked the back, there was almost zero damage to the car (a small dent). The Ford was smashed to the point it wasn't even driveable. They were AMAZED that the car wasn't crushed, and absolutely love it even more now (because they feel so safe).

So, speaking for 4 owners (not reviewers!), we all happily love our CRZ. The blind spot isn't an issue if you set your mirrors correctly. The OE tires suck (Dunlop 7000s), but that's a relatively easy fix.

· Registered
618 Posts
I think that's part of the problem. A reviewer gets the car for a short period of time. Flogs it. Doesn't understand how to drive it for optimal IMA charging. Gets so-so fuel economy, and quotes the EPA numbers.

And everyone usually focuses upon the hwy numbers when they should be using average combined scores.

· Registered
368 Posts
Janie that was amazing to read haha.

Tbh, people are too into "power" rather than the "fun to drive" aspect... You know I think? The Z has both.
My friend who initially cursed my Z amongst my friends behind my back saying it was slow, and that it's a hybrid. Until he sat in it- because I knew he had something to say, but he was awed by the interior especially the Glow Pack I have. He then said, "It's a nippy car, fast but not really fast but it's just really nice to sit in". I'm content with that comment...

so-called "Reviewers" ought to find things out for themselves rather than joining in the band wagon.

My cousin who had many sport coupes in his time, such as the 2.2 Prelude VTEC - Nissan 300zx (list go on... Forgotten the rest!) etc. He test drove my Z (ragged it in country roads... haha) and he said he likes it a lot, surprisingly.

CR-Z Stand Up for yourselves! ;)

· Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like a good compromise to me - a hybrid with the ability to be somewhat fun when you want it to be.

I have a performance car now and honestly I am eager to drive the CR-Z as a daily driver! 16 MPG sucks! $200 oil changes suck! $1600 tires suck!

· Registered
618 Posts
One random thing that I've been rather happy about is how little dust comes off the CR-Z brake pads. The wheels stay clean for the longest time. With the IMA taking some load during the regen cycles and downshifting, the discs don't have to work as hard.

· Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JnC, that's extremely cool. I hate hate HATE brake dust, and get a ton of it right now.

· Registered
17 Posts
I haven't read many reviews where the reviewer grasped the concept of this car.
Either they want to review it as a full on sports car or as a high mileage eco car.
Hello , it can be BOTH :rolleyes:

The upside is that if not many people buy this car is that you will have a unique car that turns heads and people who bought the Fiesta , the Scirocco or the Peugeot CZR will wonder why they listened to those reviewers in the first place.

· Registered
99 Posts
All I can say about "user's" comment is a very loud A-MEN!

It was one of the first things I noticed when I read the CR-Z reviews, all the nay sayers were bench racers and stat readers.

The people that actually drove or bought it recognized its value.

<going off in the distance muttering to myself trying to find that detailing thread about zymol>

· Registered
10 Posts
The largest hurdle for the CRZ is the pre-marketing hype, that it's the "new CRX." As soon as this iconic car was named, the comparisons became inevitable. Also, the tags "sport hybrid" also raised expectations that were unmet. So the reviewers were disappointed with it's lack of sportiness, and un-prius like fuel economy.

For us owners, we know what the car exactly is. It's a fun to drive, 2-seater hybrid that's fuel efficient and looks great. It's a whole class of car on its own, and someone who's never driven one will never understand. Unfortunately, these so called experts will never shake the comparison to the CRX or the Prius because it's easier to compare to a standard, rather then appreciating the car with its own merits. Too bad...for them.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
I think that's part of the problem. A reviewer gets the car for a short period of time. Flogs it. Doesn't understand how to drive it for optimal IMA charging. Gets so-so fuel economy, and quotes the EPA numbers.

And everyone usually focuses upon the hwy numbers when they should be using average combined scores.
This isn't part of the problem, imo. I think it's the biggest factor. It takes daily driving this car to 'get' it if you don't already. Reviewers get the car for an afternoon, or a day at best.

· Registered
25 Posts
If you notice in the episode, the guy driving likes it and the guy who only compares stats doesn't. It's always going to be mixed IMHO because there isn't really anything to compare the CR-Z to. Now I gotta go find that route the drove and try it out :) looked way fun...

-Hoi
There is now another performance hybrid to compare it too

Porsche Greenlights 918 Hybrid Supercar | Autopia | Wired.com

But it's in a different class of cars lol.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.