Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I couldn’t find a new driver side headlight, it’s been raining and I’m tired of stressing at night my electrical will get messed up with the huge crack in my driver side lens. With all the water spots Inside the refinish isn’t very good looking but functional!! Waterproof yay!! The passenger side I am very proud of it looks brand new. If you have any questions for me or critiques just shoot a reply! I used 1k-3k sand paper and used a UV resistant clear coat on top to finish.

Hood Leaf Automotive tire Green Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Banned
433 Posts
Your clear needs two more heavy coats on a cooler day. Looks like it wasn't a heavy enough layer to wet out and it dried too fast. Didn't have a chance to self level.

You could also block sand it out with 600-1500 grit and then polish it back.

Sanding to 3000 grit and then clearing may cause the clear to fall off pretty quickly. Not enough bite for the clear.

I did my Insight headlights 3 years ago. 600 grit wet sand to remove all the dead plastic. Then SprayMax 2k clear. No additional finishing steps. Still look like this today.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I used that kit as well, thanks to a recommendation from another member here. Results were good, but it's a bit tricky on this car with the complex headlight shape and the instructions that want you to apply the coating with one continuous wipe. Also painters tape on the surrounding areas is a must.
I applied the coating last fall and it's still holding up well.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know that I am not one of these two guys, but I also used SprayMax 2K on my headlights about 1.5 years ago. It’s holding up perfectly. Like new! :)
Thank you TNThomas. That answer helps out tremendously. I was trying to come up with something the kids can buy me for Christmas and it was either the of the two, Cerakote or SprayMax2K.

·
Red&Black
6,037 Posts
I am an avid supporter of using paint protection film on headlights rather than relying on layers of clear coat. I had it installed on my 2011 crz back in 2013, and my headlights still look new and not foggy today. As a plus, the PPF helps protect from rock chips.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
This is my second car with PPF on all lights and I have had no cracked or fogged lenses. Lights look as good as they did the day i bought the car. Even in my hit and run the lens was still all in one piece the accident destroyed the back of the capsule and the light on that side was replaced and I did not drive the car anywhere but to a place to have the PPF reinstalled. My hood, fenders & bumper also have PPF but that is irrelevant to this discussion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts