Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to try and restore the color of the plastics, especially the side mirror trim. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
I have tried Back to Black but it did not make a huge difference on the mirrors but on the roof strips it helped. I have seen this stuff called Wipenew but have not tried it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I 've tried a few products.

Initially i used 2 products from Turtle wax (Black in a Flash and Trim restorer):

If the plastic surface is not to much affected by the sunlight UV, then these products will be enough with excellent results. Repetition from time to time is needed (4-6 months)

However, before a few years i used onto my 2005 Toyota Celica the below product that is a permanent solution, as it is actually a paint product (Sonax plastic restorer black).

If you apply it correctly and follow strictly the instructions, you will not need to treat it anymore, ever again.

Best regards

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I use Ammo Tire Mud on those parts. I had to use it like every 3rd day for a couple weeks, as it kept soaking up the stuff. since then, it's like an every 3 months thing.

Short of removing the trim and painting it, I don't think there's really a good fix.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
254 Posts
I've heard that heat from a heat gun can really help. Obviously be careful to not melt the plastic, but just hitting it with the heatgun seems to make oils from under the plastic flow to the top, making it black again.

There's also trim restorer that's basically spray paint. I think that my 05 civic had that stuff applied at some point because it looks pretty good. Wiping any plastics with alcohol releases tons of black residue, I imagine it's the alcohol stripping the paint.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does anyone know whether the Sonax Xtreme Plastic Restorer Gel beats the Songs product listed above please for results?

Also I've heard that the whole heat gun thing is only temporary and can actually make it look worse over time. YMMV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I 've tried a few products.

Initially i used 2 products from Turtle wax (Black in a Flash and Trim restorer):

If the plastic surface is not to much affected by the sunlight UV, then these products will be enough with excellent results. Repetition from time to time is needed (4-6 months)

However, before a few years i used onto my 2005 Toyota Celica the below product that is a permanent solution, as it is actually a paint product (Sonax plastic restorer black).

If you apply it correctly and follow strictly the instructions, you will not need to treat it anymore, ever again.

Best regards

Sonax looks pretty good. I'm gonna try the turtle wax products first and if they don't perform I'll try the Sonax. Will update this thread with results! Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That plastic piece is a different type of plastic. Not sure how well the rubber/plastic restorers would work on it.
You could always spray paint that piece.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turtle Wax didn't play well. Tried an application morning before work, all week. No luck. Will probably try painting next week when I do audio work. Any special things I should know when painting plastics?

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Turtle Wax didn't play well. Tried an application morning before work, all week. No luck. Will probably try painting next week when I do audio work. Any special things I should know when painting plastics?
Should be the same as painting metal. Making sure the surfaces are clean. You will need a satin black rather than gloss.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd definitely leave paint to an absolute last resort. If you paint it and then don't maintain the paint properly you're just gonna end up in an even worse situation with faded and peeling paint - which will be even more work to fix. I'd buy a new mirror base before painting it, personally.

I've used this product with some limited success and plan to try it on my Z for the exact same part of the mirror you are having problems with. Unfortunately, my new Z was left out in the sun a lot and the owner didn't use the right products to protect it from the sun so my mirrors, headlights and cowl all show signs of UV damage.

When I've used this product before it helped restore the darker color but did wear off fairly quickly. I sold the car soon after but I suspect that you may be able to do multiple treatments over a period of weeks/months and may have better results.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd definitely leave paint to an absolute last resort. If you paint it and then don't maintain the paint properly you're just gonna end up in an even worse situation with faded and peeling paint - which will be even more work to fix. I'd buy a new mirror base before painting it, personally.

I've used this product with some limited success and plan to try it on my Z for the exact same part of the mirror you are having problems with. Unfortunately, my new Z was left out in the sun a lot and the owner didn't use the right products to protect it from the sun so my mirrors, headlights and cowl all show signs of UV damage.

When I've used this product before it helped restore the darker color but did wear off fairly quickly. I sold the car soon after but I suspect that you may be able to do multiple treatments over a period of weeks/months and may have better results.
Maybe he could try plasticote. Plasticote can be peeled off.
You can temporary restore most of the other plastics but the mirror piece for some reason is a different grade of plastic and doesn't restore well.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
I asked before but has anyone tried wipe new trim restorer I have tried back to Black from Meguires but the mirror mounts have a weird not flat texture.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I asked before but has anyone tried wipe new trim restorer I have tried back to Black from Meguires but the mirror mounts have a weird not flat texture.
It's looks more like a recycled plastic. Some wax or sealant spray will make it less noticeable.
You can get plastic dyes. Maybe that might work.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
At this point I think I will just leave it alone and just touch up any paint nicks that might rust. It has been a few weeks since I washed it so next time it is nice out I plan to Wash it clean all glass inside and out and vacuum the interior and maybe if I get a second nice day clean the upholstery it has been a few years since I did a deep clean.

It's looks more like a recycled plastic. Some wax or sealant spray will make it less noticeable.
You can get plastic dyes. Maybe that might work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
At this point I think I will just leave it alone and just touch up any paint nicks that might rust. It has been a few weeks since I washed it so next time it is nice out I plan to Wash it clean all glass inside and out and vacuum the interior and maybe if I get a second nice day clean the upholstery it has been a few years since I did a deep clean.
My car doesn't get too dirty so I clean it once every few months. I did a corrosion prevention at the beginning of the lock down as there was some corrosion under the front and back bumpers and under the car. Did a light polish on the paintwork.
I tried the turtle wax ceramic sealant and that stuff is suprising durable. Lasts a lot longer than normal wax. When it rains it washes most of the dirt off.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Car washing for me is Therapy. Car when not being driven is garaged No wax just a good wash.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I use Ammo Tire Mud on those parts. I had to use it like every 3rd day for a couple weeks, as it kept soaking up the stuff. since then, it's like an every 3 months thing.

Short of removing the trim and painting it, I don't think there's really a good fix.
haha, a lot can change in a couple weeks. I've actually bought a mirror off ebay, disassembled it and painted it.

definitely buy a connector disassembly tool if you want to take the mirror apart.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts