Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any know how I can reset the SRS Airbags Light? I was taking the seat out to vacuum and forgot to disconnect the battery first. ? I tried plugging the wires back and then disconnecting the battery, waiting 20mins, but that didn't work. I tried driving around for over 30mins, but it's still on. I'm hoping it's something like the older civics where you just tap the yellow plug under the dash.
I just brought the car 6 days ago and already effing it up!! Hope I don't have to take it to the dealer and spend like a $100 just for them to reset it.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
did you ever find a solution? ..... i have a similar problem ... i tried the yellow srs plug trick ... no avail ...

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
Doesnt anybody know how to do this?
Depends on exactly what's wrong. If you're talking about the light in the center dash above the audio unit, it's the passenger seat SRS indicator. If so, the weight sensor may need recalibrated ($50 - $100 at dealership.) Also, if you got the seat wet, you may just have to let it dry out for a few days or so. If you swap seats with another year/model CR-Z, you'll need to do a reset to match with the ECU. In any event, disconnect the 12v battery for 10 minutes, reconnect, then see if that clears it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I hit a curb which bent my rim and pulled out my lower control arm ball joint at a rest area, I had to have my car towed since I couldnt drive it like that the towing itself among other things pulled the driver side, side impact sensor wires out of the sensor, I fixed all that but need to reset the srs light apparently it doesnt go away on its own
What I need to know if how to reset the srs system or clear srs codes ether one
Removing the battery doesnt work I know that for a fact as I had the battery out and the front end off for a few days working on it
I dont have the money to pay 1000s for a diag tool I want one bad and as much as I work on my car I could use one but dont have the money, I can get this cleared for free where I live but Im out of town visiting family and working on my car and nobody here will do it for free so Im trying to manually clear it, I figured the MES would work and I think I found it but not 100 percent and to scared to mess with the SRS system to much unless I know what Im doing
It seems alot of people here want to know this but either nobody knows or nobody has told altho it seems im the oddity the issue is fixed Im just trying to clear the srs code not trying to trick it or anything

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think this isnt proper form etiquette but for some reason, my post must be approved by a mod so I cannot edit what I said
I forgot to add in case it matters its a error code on my instrument panel not the passenger side airbag, it shows the airbag symbol as well as "check airbag system" in the car info center(the computer at the bottom right of the instrument panel)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
You need an OBD+ scanner that will communicate with the SRS computer in order to clear the SRS code. This is outside the scope of what most auto parts stores will have for their "free code scan" tools.

First thing, you need to reconnect the connector that you said got disconnected.

You could also unhook the 12V under-hood battery and let it set for a couple hours, then turn the car on and off a couple times to see if it resets.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You need an OBD+ scanner that will communicate with the SRS computer in order to clear the SRS code. This is outside the scope of what most auto parts stores will have for their "free code scan" tools.

First thing, you need to reconnect the connector that you said got disconnected.

You could also unhook the 12V under-hood battery and let it set for a couple hours, then turn the car on and off a couple times to see if it resets.
My other comment that hasnt shown up yet addressed that
But since it hasnt shown up Ill readdress it
I did reconnect the connector and I had the battery disconnected for over 3 days working on the front end that didnt work
Im trying to clear it myself without having to go pay someone 50+ for a 5-second easy fix
Im looking to do something like short the MES which I think I found but not sure or whatever works on our cars

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I vaguely recall a thread that may have addressed this by jumping a certain sequence of pins on the vehicle's OBDII port to reset the code and light, but you'll have to dig a little deeper in your forum search. Also, pretty sure you don't really want to hack the issue in the manner you're describing, in case you actually need the safety system to work correctly sometime in the future.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
My other comment that hasnt shown up yet addressed that
But since it hasnt shown up Ill readdress it
I did reconnect the connector and I had the battery disconnected for over 3 days working on the front end that didnt work
Im trying to clear it myself without having to go pay someone 50+ for a 5-second easy fix
Im looking to do something like short the MES which I think I found but not sure or whatever works on our cars
Ok.. not sure why your other post isnt' showing up...How many times have you turned the car on and off since reconnecting everything? Sometimes these codes have a set number of fault-free cycles attached to them. I'm not sure with Honda, but I know on my older GM car, the SRS code could be cleared with 5 fault-free startup cycles.

If you're in Southeastern IN or the Indy area, I can clear the code for you. if there's a local car group on facebook near you, someone probably has an SRS enabled OBD scanner, you might try asking one of them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I vaguely recall a thread that may have addressed this by jumping a certain sequence of pins on the vehicle's OBDII port to reset the code and light, but you'll have to dig a little deeper in your forum search. Also, pretty sure you don't really want to hack the issue in the manner you're describing, in case you actually need the safety system to work correctly sometime in the future.
From my knowledge that was the ABS and have used that method to clear ABS codes, but maybe you can reset the SRS system too?
Using the MES isnt really a "hack" I just dont have the tool to do it the way a service professional would but I could make one I just dont see a point when a paper clip works just fine and I hope to never have to do it again
I just need to clear the code, I fixed the issue, right now my airbags are off because I dont have a couple thousand dollar device and dont have the money to pay someone 50usd+ to use said couple thousand dollar device
I know there is a way I dont know if our car has a MES or not but I know there has to be a way and many people here have run into issues changing radios and moving seats but forgot to plug stuff in and have a code come up even though there isnt anything wrong with the system
It is useful info and I cannot see that nobody here knows how to do it without a diag tool
I have searched here using many different terms & I have searched online that is how I found out about the MES but I cannot find jack specific to our cars, I think I found the MES but the SRS system is something you just dont mess with so I wanna be sure if its the MES or if we even have one and if we dont or if there is a better way how to do that
This thread was here but dead maybe nobody knew back then but its been awhile and I have trouble believing nobody knows how to do this, none the less I figured reviving this thread would be better than creating the same thread again

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ok.. not sure why your other post isnt' showing up...How many times have you turned the car on and off since reconnecting everything? Sometimes these codes have a set number of fault-free cycles attached to them. I'm not sure with Honda, but I know on my older GM car, the SRS code could be cleared with 5 fault-free startup cycles.

If you're in Southeastern IN or the Indy area, I can clear the code for you. if there's a local car group on facebook near you, someone probably has an SRS enabled OBD scanner, you might try asking one of them.
I hope so but Ive started it many times since I put it back together Ive been doing alot of work on it and have had to drive it to test it and it hasnt gone off so I dont think our cars do that
Where I am now I dont know many people other than family and all the shops here charge to clear ABS/SRS codes however at my house most shops clear them for free the issue is I have better space to work on my car where I am now thats why I waited till I came to visit my family to work on my car inc fixing the sensor but it will be atleast another month before I go home and driving here is crazy I dont like driving here so thats a month driving in a very unsafe place without airbags and in a car like ours that doesnt really make me feel good inside
No Im currently in southeastern VA but I live in east TN but thx for the offer

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
sounds like you should have cleared it if it was going to go away on it's own. shoot.

https://www.amazon.com/Innova-3100j-Diagnostic-Reader-Vehicles/dp/B01MR7FZS1/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1526999498&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=scan+tool+obd+srs&psc=1

For what it's worth, you don't need the couple-thousand dollar tool to clear SRS codes. you only need the $110 tool.
I dont think ours do most do not, it could be that the sensor is broke but I highly doubt it but due to me not being able to clear the code or view the system errors I cannot be sure
There are many like that the issue is I dont have much money and trying to squeeze alot out of alittle and if I invest in something like that I need to be able to use it more than once or twice I have been thinking about buying one but I need to do alot of research and want one that can mess with the IMA I know snap-on does but that tool is almost 10,000 but there is alot of startups and Chinese tools that are 100 - 500 that I could do if it was a full diag tool but not right now
Side question can k-tuner clear abs/srs codes I tried looking that up but couldnt find anything on it honestly I cannot afford it yet but its something I was gunna buy anyways so I can look into it

I want to repeat the question so this thread doesnt get derailed
I want to know away to manual clear srs codes

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The scanner I linked to is one that I have personally used for a couple of years. I've not yet used it on my CRZ because lets face it, it just doesn't break down.
I want to know away to manual clear srs codes
There is not a way to manually clear the SRS codes. You must have a code scanner to communicate with the SRS module.

There was a way to reset older hondas using a paperclip and some diagnostic plug buried in the dash, which I think is what Fediej was referring to, but this was on the older non-CAN Hondas.

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
The scanner I linked to is one that I have personally used for a couple of years. I've not yet used it on my CRZ because lets face it, it just doesn't break down.

There is not a way to manually clear the SRS codes. You must have a code scanner to communicate with the SRS module.

There was a way to reset older hondas using a paperclip and some diagnostic plug buried in the dash, which I think is what Fediej was referring to, but this was on the older non-CAN Hondas.

Don't some Auto parts places loan out tools for a deposit?

·
Registered
326 Posts
To my knowledge nobody loans out the computer or that would be a FAR better option than buying one for me I need something like that but I wouldnt use it much, however if anyone knows of a place that would rent it out like loan a tool program let me know

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I don't know what's all in your area or have anyway of guaranteeing that they have the proper computer tool but you may want to contact Advance Auto/Auto Zone/O'Reilly/Napa or similar to see what they have for loaner/rental tools. Otherwise you might have to figure out something else soon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts