Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It probably isn't necessary, but being old school, I'm going to change my oil at 3000 miles and then transitiion to the official schedule. Should I reset the oil percentage message (currently at 80%) or should I just leave it where it is, or does it make any difference? I don't know if the oil message works by itself or if is incorporated with other mx schedules, hence it might be better to leave the oil message where it is and pick up the maintenance from that point. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
710 Posts
on the RDX it only implies that the oil change is due. holding down the trip/reset button long enough resets it to 100%

since we run amsoil or royal purple full syn. i reset hers once to = < 6k miles btw changes. in the old rsx i just watch the mileage :mam:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Followup...I was the OP of this thread. I took the car to the Honda dealer at 3000 miles and was going to ask the service writer about the reset question. However, he stated that the oil Honda put in the car originally was better than the replacement oill they would put in and that it was specifically designed for the break in period. So he recomended not changing the oil utill 5000 miles or 6 months. I usually take suggestions from car dealers with a grain of salt, but since he was recommending a procedure that would actually result in less business for them, I figured the advice must have some merit. So I didn't change the oil, making the question of resetting the oil minder moot, I'm planning on changing the oil at 5000 miles and will reset the gage then.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
this is actually in the manual somewhere too... w/o getting into break-in procedures too much, i think 3,000 miles is fine to change that "break-in" oil... they didn't tell u to wait b/c of that break-in oil... they told you to wait b/c they're not allowed to change the oil unless it reaches a certain % first (like 10%-15%)... on top of that, your service is probably free for a few oil changes which means that THEY have to pay for your oil changes and that's another reason to tell you to wait...

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
this is actually in the manual somewhere too... w/o getting into break-in procedures too much, i think 3,000 miles is fine to change that "break-in" oil...
Yea, I am somewhat conflicted on this. Primarily because I don't know what type of oil they put in. (I was not there). Just now hitting 3K and thinking to go ahead and get it changed with a synth 0W20 (mobile 1?) and a good filter (honda/K&N/I dunno) - and then use the maintenance minder when it hits 20% or 6 months which ever comes first.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Honda recommends a 0w20 full synthetic, and the oil they ship the car is a brake-in oil. It is recommended to keep it until you minder system tells you to replace it.
Yea, would stick with a synth 0w20. 5W20 dino or synth is an alternative. But, you put a good synth and your probably good for 7-10K miles. Just watch your minder.

On that subject. Hit 3080 miles and went ahead and changed out what ever they put in at the factory to Castrol 0w20 Synth. I don't plan on doing the next until the maintenance minder gets down to 20% or 6 months whichever comes first and so on. Probably arguments for and against.

Put a K&N oil filter in. I think that is the weak link in engine protection when going 5-10K miles on oil. Not to dis Honda filters. Just my choice.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
not to dis your choice... but you should really read up on Honda oil filters... they're pretty damn good... in fact, people that race with Honda engines usually use OEM filters...
Yes, point taken. Anyone who does any research will see Honda filters are outstanding.

My choice is based on several things with a large part of my being a Harley owner and using K&N filters for my HyperCharger and Oil over the past 9 years. Maybe a legacy choice.

Honda filters may be a better choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.