Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm not a big fan of the seats in our CRZ (I'm 6'1, 220lbs) and I was wondering if anyone has swapped out the seats from another Honda maybe?

Any advice welcome ❤

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
@Rustbucket gutted his car and had racing seats in it but he also had a Kswap. The issue I see is maintaining the air bag system in a working state. We have side airbags in the seats. If that were my situation I never would have purchased it. Are the seats the best in the world no, but I am not as tall as you and I have now driven mine almost 80K miles in 3 states and some long trips and with the couple of different positions I have found for the drivers seat and steering wheel. I am comfortable. A CR-Z while not being a tiny car does have a tight cabin which is a little tighter if you have the optional arm rest. There are other cars that have more cabin room. My 6ft Dad was not as comfortable in my CR-Z as he was in his Mazda 3 4 door and every time I took him anywhere he grumbled a bit mainly because the passenger seat did not go back far enough for him and has no height adjustment.

Another member here recently replaced or ordered Mugen Seats for his so there are alternatives out there. I hope you find something you can live with. Another option is a good upholstery shop maybe able to re-contour the seats to better fit you but keep everything functional and safe.

@ITEM9 went another way he disabled the airbag in the seat using a resistor but left other airbags working. He replaced the seats( and many other parts). Check his build thread. ITEM9's Build Thread: Rotrex Supercharged PWP EX 6MT he is the forum expert he has made a lot of JDM parts work in his USDM car. Rereading his build thread I found out he later went back to his OEM seats but replaced the seat covers with OEM from Honda to change to the black color.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Spdbump is right that the Airbags are a big factor on keeping the seats you have currently... AFIK none of the available optional seats from other markets have the correct airbags or even provisions for the passenger seat modules.

I'm 6'2" and also 210-220lb ish (depends on whether I manage to leave the donuts alone :D ). I found that removing the seat and unattaching all but one of the rear seat cushion seat clips made a huge improvement in my comfort. I'm pretty sure the one closest to the center console had to stay clipped in for it to not get lopsided, but I can check later and get back to you.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
646 Posts
I don't mean to sound like a downer, but I don't recommend swapping out seats. Not only do they contain airbags, as other people mention, but they also have an advanced active headrest that deploys in a rear end collision. Also, beyond the SRS system, the seats are designed to work with the CR-Z during a crash. Putting in another seat is a risk. The whole cabin is designed to work together to protect the occupants during an accident, and this includes the seat. Other non-original seats may alter all the kinematics of the passengers, or may collapse or fail in unexpected ways. It's a safety risk I'd rather not take, but ultimately it's up to you.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
The other option I mentioned was to have a good upholstery shop re-contour the foam under the seat cover. This will make you more comfortable and keep all the related safety features working. I watch a lot of the car shows on TV and that seems to be a common thing for all cars that have any customization at all. I am considering a little extra foam or denser foam under my thighs in The Speed Bump as an example.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I struggle a bit with the seat in my 2013 CR-Z over a long haul. It is no problem for my 25-30 one-way daily commute. However, after a couple of hours driving, it can get a bit uncomfortable. My 2018 CR-V has really nice seats with lumbar support so I can easily drive that car all day. I wonder if using a small pillow would provide some additional lumbar support and improve the comfort of the seat for long drives. Does anyone out there have any other simple suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Others have done that and there are a number of sources for add on cushions that attach around the seat. Or if you can sew or know someone who can you can get matching fabric to your CR-Z and make one or have one made.

I struggle a bit with the seat in my 2013 CR-Z over a long haul. It is no problem for my 25-30 one-way daily commute. However, after a couple of hours driving, it can get a bit uncomfortable. My 2018 CR-V has really nice seats with lumbar support so I can easily drive that car all day. I wonder if using a small pillow would provide some additional lumbar support and improve the comfort of the seat for long drives. Does anyone out there have any other simple suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would like to replace the original seat cover with new one because original seat cover have hole and tear from 10 years of wear and tear. i do not want a throw over seat cover. where can I find cover to replace factory seat fabric.
David in Texas

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
They can be purchased at any dealer in person or online. You can also order one from Genuine OEM Honda Parts and Accessories Online - Honda Parts Now. Use this site to find the right part number(s) for your interior color and year. Once you have the part number you can do a search online to find the best price. There were basically 3 interior colors. You can also if you are lucky be able to buy used from https://www.redlineautoparts.com/honda-cr-z/ they do not sell just the seat cover. They sell the whole seat. I have also in the past on another car had an upholstery shop repair the seat cover in a car. They replaced a whole panel in the seat with a matching leather. @ITEM9 has also recovered his seats to change the color. See his build thread for details.

The Speed Bump had the seat back seat cover replaced under warranty by a dealer early in its life. The leather had worn in a weird way.

I would like to replace the original seat cover with new one because original seat cover have hole and tear from 10 years of wear and tear. i do not want a throw over seat cover. where can I find cover to replace factory seat fabric.
David in Texas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts