Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had to replace their windshield on their CRZ? A snowplow going the other way on a 2-lane dropping salt...bam! good sized spot and 6" crack starting in the lower left driver's side...Just looking for any recommendations - who to go with, who to stay away from - OEM Dealer or aftermarket....thanks

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Has anybody had to replace their windshield on their CRZ? A snowplow going the other way on a 2-lane dropping salt...bam! good sized spot and 6" crack starting in the lower left driver's side...Just looking for any recommendations - who to go with, who to stay away from - OEM Dealer or aftermarket....thanks
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your insurance policy will cover the entire cost... recommend OEM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wisconsin doesn't require (or allow) full glass coverage separate from comprehensive. So while it is covered, it falls under my deductible which is pretty high. Unless it's over $500 it is going to come from my own pocket. Hence my interest in others feedback on the best way to go...thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had my windshield replaced a month ago at the cost of $1081 + change (including 8.75% tax). Luckily, I had zero deductible so my insurance paid for it entirely. This was done by ALLSTAR GLASS who was recommended by my insurance company. At the time, I was told there were no aftermarket windshields available for the CR-Z yet, so an OEM windshield was ordered from Honda. I had to wait 5 or so days for the install. It might have been 4 days if the two side sill/moldings had come attached to the windshield. This was odd to both myself and the installers... only the top sill/molding was attached when delivered. They had to order the two sides separately from Honda which were fortunately over-nighted. Not sure if this is the norm... just be aware and make sure the installer orders the two sides along with the windshield... save yourself a headache!

Note: Originally, I wanted my windshield to be repaired with that gel they use as there was no starring yet. I actually could have lived with the small chip that was there, I just didn't want a crack to form. I was told however, that since the chip was on the drivers side, just in sight of view the windshield would need to be replaced instead.. due to possible distortion and/or night glare? What ever, as long as I'm not paying for it!... Funny how the actual guys replacing the windshield question me on this, until I explained to them that it was recommended to be replaced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found some aftermarket glass from PPG and Safelite and so after calling around it looks like:

$345 for aftermarket glass vs. $930 for OEM glass - (both prices total installed)

Since I have a $500 deductible, the question is...is it worth another $150 out of my pocket for the OEM and a potential fight with insurance over OEM vs. aftermarket.

My out of pocket would be..$345 for aftermarket or $500 for OEM

Any more thoughts?

·
Registered
815 Posts
well depends on the quality . just go and look at the glassed and compair it maybe? I know a shop who did my G35 coupe and audi A4 with aftermarket glass for $200 installed each. quality of glass was decent but made in china I believe.
It all depends on quality control and how they made the glass and some can have really bad visibility.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Has anyone had a good or bad experience with chip repair.
I got a bad chip this morning, luckily its on the passenger right at the edge of the windshield wiper line. It has a small crescent subsurface crack for now and I have an appointment for tomorrow morning so I'm hoping that it can be fixed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've never had good luck with chip repair. I would keep the current glass as long as you can, and only replace when necessary. You know as soon as you replace it, you'll get another rock on there, its how it works. I'm in the same situation.

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,161 Posts
Has anyone had a good or bad experience with chip repair.
I got a bad chip this morning, luckily its on the passenger right at the edge of the windshield wiper line. It has a small crescent subsurface crack for now and I have an appointment for tomorrow morning so I'm hoping that it can be fixed.
Get it done ASAP, and yes, good results. Have used chip repairs on a number of my fleet vehicles - if you get it to the shop before the crack grows, you've got a really good shot at a long-term repair. If it grows even the smallest tail away from the crescent, you're euchred. Up here, some insurance companies will pay and waive deductibles on a chip repair (or so I've heard - fleet deductible is so high that we just pay to repair). Even if it doesn't work and you have to pay, you are only out a small amount - worst case is you have to replace the glass, which you would otherwise have done now anyway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Chips been repaired, it can still see a scratch mark and a little white where the hole that was drilled in the glass but the fish eye crescent shaped crack is gone. It was only $45 so not too bad if it doesn't work. If it cracks in the future I'll let you know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wisconsin doesn't require (or allow) full glass coverage separate from comprehensive. So while it is covered, it falls under my deductible which is pretty high. Unless it's over $500 it is going to come from my own pocket. Hence my interest in others feedback on the best way to go...thanks!
Wow, Wisconsin sucks man. The Packers kick ass though.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Had a few done, one failed. Most insurance covers the cost of a chip fix to save them the cost of replaceing the whole thing. Also lots of chip places will deducte the cost of the chip repair from the cost a glass replacement if the repair fails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.